main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All of Anakin's dreams came true, not just the bad ones.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jedi_master_ousley, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    One contributing factor to Anakin?s turn to the dark side was the dreams he had of pain and suffering. His dream in Attack of the Clones and the one in Revenge of the Sith caused him great fear and could be considered direct causes of his fall to the dark side. However, many forget the dream that Anakin referenced in The Phantom Menace:

[b]ANAKIN:[/b] I had a dream I was a Jedi once. I came back here and freed all the slaves.[hr][/blockquote]
    This dream came true at the end of [i]Return of the Jedi[/i], ?from a certain point of view.? By fulfilling the prophecy and bringing balance to the Force, he freed the galaxy from the oppression of the Empire. The galaxy as a whole was a slave to the Emperor?s wishes, and Anakin saved them from this.

The Empire also enslaved various species (implication of this lies in [i]Revenge of the Sith[/i] when the clonetroopers are scouting the area on Kashyyyk and walking Tion Meddon off at gun point on Utapau). By killing the Emperor, he free those slaves as well.

His dream about freeing the slaves was the most important of them all. It was before he even learned that he had the potential to use the Force, and it symbolized the fulfillment of his destiny. Although his other dreams were important (and subsequently led to this dream coming true), this one truly set the stage for his redemption at the end of [i]Return of the Jedi[/i].

Obi-Wan was wrong: dreams do not pass in time. Not in Anakin?s case, anyway. Sometimes they just take thirty or more years to come true.

2. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I love this whole "from a certain point of view" aspect of Star Wars.

Because yes, from a certain point of view Anakin freed all the slaves. Of course, he had a hand in inslaving them to begin with. HOWEVER, you can argue that if didn't kill Sidious, then no one could have done it, perhaps the people of the Galaxy would never have been freed of tyranny. Sidious was well underway with his plan before Anakin came into the picture so it would have happened with or without him.

It's also kind of a horrible irony that in AotC Anakin says that he'd "much rather dream about Padme" and he tells her "you're exactly the way I remember you in my dreams." That dream foreshadowing pays off in a terrible way in RotS. He dreamt of her before they even met in AotC, and those dreams, not just he ones of his mother, also came true.

3. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    But there was slavery on Tatooine before the Empire came to power. Palpatine's rise and fall had no effect on the slaves there.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    RS77, I love the irony of Anakin's dream about Padme and the line in Attack of the Clones (that is actually the reason I have it in my sig.) It is just such a great connection.

"From a certain point of view" is what makes the original trilogy Obi-Wan so interesting. The audience that has viewed the films in the correct order (1-6) already knows the full story, Kenobi just begins to spin a variation which makes it much more interesting.

Ousley, great observations and excellent connection to Obi-Wan's line. It is yet another line which proves just how little the Jedi of the Old Republic understand the living world around them.

One thing that Anakin says at the table which I find interesting is that whole "No one can kill a Jedi" speech. In the end, that also becomes true. Qui-Gon, Yoda and Obi-Wan are able to escape death and achieve immortality. In addition, Anakin seems like a dead Jedi hidden beneath the mask of a Sith Lord. However in the end, even he comes to life again and Anakin is reborn and allowed to enter the next level of existance. His innocent and naive belief is proven to be true as well.

-Seldon

Edit: Warrior_of_Mandalore, hence the "certain point of view." At least that is how I view it.

5. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Excellent point, and one I hadn't thought of.

Tatooine was outside the bounds of the Republic in The Phantom Menace. Shmi said as much ("the Republic does not exist out here"). However, it fell under the jurisdiction of the Empire in the Classic Trilogy. The people enslaved by the Empire were freed. The ending of Return of the Jedi is meant to portray this when the people are dancing in the streets.

Agreed.

I look at that line much differently. I see it as Qui-Gon accepting the fact that "death is a natural part of life" (Yoda). He understands that he will one day die, and so will the rest of the Jedi. The irony in that scene is fantastic: Anakin states that no one can kill a Jedi, when in actuality he becomes personally responsible for the deaths of many Jedi.

6. Jandekian_Overlord

Jandekian_Overlord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    Shmi said as much ("the Republic does not exist out here").

Perhaps this was meant to imply that many of those interned (for lack of a better term) on Tatooine were without principle. Whether or not the planet in question was or was not part of the Republic of the time is rather irrelevant.

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "I look at that line much differently. I see it as Qui-Gon accepting the fact that "death is a natural part of life" (Yoda). He understands that he will one day die, and so will the rest of the Jedi. The irony in that scene is fantastic: Anakin states that no one can kill a Jedi, when in actuality he becomes personally responsible for the deaths of many Jedi."

Most lines in the prequels can have multiple meanings. It is Qui-Gon's acceptance of death (in contrast to Anakin's unrealistic views which continue through the trilogy) but it is also twisted around as I mentioned earlier but seen from that "certain point of view."

There is so much irony in the prequels, so much dramatic irony as well. Which makes the scripts interesting when viewed from that angle. The popular example is the "Why do I get the feeling that you're going to be the death of me..." there are plenty of others.

-Seldon
    Edit

Jandekian_Overlord: "The system is controlled by the Hutts"-Panaka
    It wasn't controlled by the Republic during TPM.

8. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    In Anakin's dream he freed the slaves on Tatoine. Even though Tatione was part of the emipre when it crashed, it doesn't mean slavery ended there when it happened, so no, Anakin's dream really didn't come true.:_|

9. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Actually, this clues us in that Shmi's words were literal:

[b]OBI-WAN:[/b] Here, Master. Tatooine... It's small, out of the way, poor... The
    Trade Federation has no presence there.
    [b]CAPT. PANAKA:[/b] How can you be sure?
    [b]QUI-GON:[/b] It's controlled by the Hutts...
    [...]
    [b]CAPT. PANAKA:[/b] You can't take Her Royal Highness there! The Hutts are
    gangsters... If they discovered her...
    [b]QUI-GON:[/b] ...It would be no different than if we landed on a system
    controlled by the Federation...except the Hutts aren't looking for her,
    which gives us an advantage.[hr][/blockquote]

That, coupled with Shmi's words, means that the Republic was not present there. Whether or not there was still slavery after the fall of the Empire is unknown. However, it is clear that the people of Tatooine were enslaved or at the very least oppressed by the Empire (hence their celebration).

[quote=Darth-Seldon]Most lines in the prequels can have multiple meanings. It is Qui-Gon's acceptance of death (in contrast to Anakin's unrealistic views which continue through the trilogy) but it is also twisted around as I mentioned earlier but seen from that "certain point of view."

There is so much irony in the prequels, so much dramatic irony as well. Which makes the scripts interesting when viewed from that angle. The popular example is the "Why do I get the feeling that you're going to be the death of me..." there are plenty of others.[/quote]

Very true, and I completely agree.

[quote=DARTH-SHREDDER]In Anakin's dream he freed the slaves on Tatoine. Even though Tatione was part of the emipre when it crashed, it doesn't mean slavery ended there when it happened, so no, Anakin's dream really didn't come true. [face_cry] [/quote]

It did from a certain point of view. That's what I was saying. Technically, no, he didn't return to Tatooine and free the slaves there. However, his dream may have been a metaphor for what was to come. When he was redeemed, he did a lot more than free the slaves of Tatooine, he freed the galaxy. As he got older, the outcome of his dream got larger.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Ah, point of view can fix so much :p

I agree that, at least from one point of view, Anakin freed the slaves, and even by extension the slaves on Tatooine, which was in the Empire even though it wasn't in the Republic.

However, that said, Anakin's words about the dream were "I came back here and freed all the slaves". Now, granted, you could disect that and point out that he did go back to Tatooine - in AotC, to find his mother, and in ANH, at least as close as orbit. Yet neither of these visits had anything to do with freeing slaves.
    Theres also the difficulty of the part about "I dreamed I was a Jedi...", because, while he does indeed become a Jedi, his status as a Jedi is somewhat in question at the end. Redeemed, yes, a Jedi again... a bit questionable, despite Luke's words about being "a Jedi, like my father before me". This, however, is less significant than the aforementioned return to Tatooine.
    If you break the quote into three, each part is fulfilled, but there is difficulty in joining even two of the three portions, let alone all three together.

11. Jandekian_Overlord

Jandekian_Overlord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    I see. Well, thank you all for enlightening me.

12. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    That still makes him right: the dream passed in time. What his point was that Anakin shouldn't focus his awake-time on his sleep-time, Obi-Wan was right about this. The one time Anakin lets a dream pass in time (freeing the slaves) is the one time one of his dreams ends up becoming true in a good way. All the other times when he fights against his dreams he ends up on the darkside.

Tell that to Mace, the younglings and all the other Jedi that fell victim to Vader and the Empire.

Definitely

Freeing the slaves on Tatooine is just a 9 year old boys interpretation of a dream, he doesn't even know the galaxy outside of it.

- O_F

13. Obi-Ron42

Obi-Ron42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Actually, Anakin never says "here," it's just "I dreamed I came back and freed all the slaves." He doesn't say he came back to Tatooine specifically, so that line could be seen as referring to his redemption in Return ("come back" and "return" are synonymous) of the Jedi. That's the way i look at it, anyway.

14. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I just checked the DVD, and the line is definitely "I came back here and freed all the slaves."

15. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Thats very freaky stuff.

16. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    notice how the dreams of his mother were not on screen but those of padme were? i think some of his dreams are from the force and some are from another source.

as children we think in different terms. when i was a kid i thought i could grow up to be the cat in the hat. i think the slave comment was like that. dreams are funny. they try to tell us things in a way we have trouble understanding.

17. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I think this was done for cinematic purposes only, RotS is a much more personal tale than AotC - and thus has to delve into the characters heads, especially Anakins, that much more.

- O_F

18. Miss_Aayla_Secura

Miss_Aayla_Secura Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    It's not surprising that his dreams come true, he is after all, a force-sensitive individual. The saddest thing of all, however, is that young Anakin had such a positive view of his self as a future Jedi. That is why he saw himself doing good, freeing slaves, fighting for justice etcetera. The young Anakin had no inkling of what darkness was to come. How could he? So in a sense, yes that dream came true. He became a Jedi. But, sadly, he was more interested in the dark side than freeing slaves so that bit couldn't really come true ...

19. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    my point is his mother was living the dream but he created padme's ending.

20. Darth-Vindictus

Darth-Vindictus Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    "He has the ability to see things before they happen... it's a Jedi trait" - Qui-Gon Jinn, Episode I

Can all Jedi, in some way, "see the future"? Perhaps they simply allow this (future) to happen, as "good" Jedi, knowing that this will come to pass regardless of their action or inaction?

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered before, I'm kind of a noob to all this...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE INDESICION OF DARTH SIDIOUS

I call it... "The Sphere Of Fear"!!!
    No? OK... "Death Boob"
    How about...

21. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    "Always in motion is the future." - Yoda

The Jedi can sometimes sense the future (Luke sensing that Han and Leia would be in pain at Cloud City), but the future is always being changed by the here and now.

22. THEFORCEISWITHME33

THEFORCEISWITHME33 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    With all of Ani's ability to dream events, I wonder why he didn't or couldn't dream about going to the darkside. I guess like Yoda says "the darkside clouds everything" Maybe I just answered my own question.[face_peace]

23. MasterVodo

MasterVodo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Where is the evidence that Tatooine had slavery at the time of the Empire? Although being part of the Empire itself sucks, it could be argued that the Empire did possibly eraticate the practice of it's citizens owning other sentient beings, succeding (from a certain point of view) where the "corrupt" old republic failed. Therefore, Anakin DID help free the slaves by helping create his new Empire. Remember, Anakin did become a Jedi and from his point of view he was not "turning evil" rather he abandoned the Jedi which had become evil. A good villian should never view himself as a "bad guy".

Also, there was the extended version of the "Are you an Angel?" sceen that was cut down where he mentions to Padme that he dreamed of marrying her. It's retained in the novel.

24. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    UPing for more discussion.

25. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Didn't Anakin have a dream in the TPM novelization about Padme leading a group of fighters? And he realized he liked her even more when she was a warrior?

If I remember correctly, than this is another dream of Anakin's that comes true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.