Beyond All or Nothing--H/L vignette. Author Replies 30 July.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sock_of_Darth_Vader, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Written in answer to the challenge: Write a vignette entitled "All or Nothing" that includes one female character, one male character, a piece of jewellery, and the words "You know I'd fight for you, but how can I fight someone who isn't there?"

"Where is the Rebel base?"

It must be the hundredth time Vader has asked. Leia lies at his feet in the cell, weak with torture. She can hear the droid humming somewhere behind him. He bends low over her, so that she sees her own eyes reflected in the visors of his mask. They waver in her vision, the brown turning to blue?Luke's eyes, she knows now that he has Luke's eyes?and back again.

"You don't want to see, do you?" he taunts her, his gloved hands grasping her aching arms."You will see!"

He drags her to her feet and out of the cell. This time, she knows what is going to happen, and fights every inch of the way, but he forces her, makes her turn to the viewport. Alderaan, like a perfect jewel, unreachable, helpless, faces her. She tries to hide her eyes so that she won't have to see, again, but he seizes her wrists and makes her look. And she is two, the Leia in Vader's grasp and the Leia standing by the controls.

"NO!" she screams, trying to stop her alter ego, but she is pressing down the switch, and her eyes slew to Alderaan, the sickly light of the superlaser bearing down on it, and someone is shaking her shoulder and calling her?

"Leia! Sweetheart, wake up?Leia!"

Leia jolted upright with a little half-sob, panting.

"No, no, no?"

"Sweetheart, it's okay, it's a dream, I've got you, it's okay?"

She let him pull her into his arms, trembling from head to foot. The sheets were wound round her and soaked in sweat. Han crooked her legs over his, rubbing her back, rocking her. She slid her arms round his waist. He was very big and warm and solid.

"Han," she said desolately. He was making inarticulate comforting sounds, soft crooning noises. She buried her face in the hollow of his shoulder, making her breathing go back to normal.

"The usual?" Han asked, dropping little tender kisses across her shoulder.

"Yes?Han, I'm so tired! Make it stop?fight him for me!"

"Oh, sweetheart. You know I would fight for you, but I can't fight someone who isn't there."

"He is there?he's looking over my shoulder all the time! Always, Han!"

"You mean that?that Force ghost thing Luke says he sees?" Han asked uncertainly.

Leia sat up, wriggling off his lap.

"No?I mean he's here and here?" she struck her forehead and chest. "And he won't go away, he never goes away."

"Do you want him to?" Han asked unexpectedly.

"Of course I want him to!" Leia exploded. She tried to jump out of the bed, but the sheet was so knotted round her ankles that she didn't get far.

"I meant?maybe you have to let him go before he'll let you go."

"You've been talking to Luke," Leia spat. She reached up and grabbed her necklace?her mother's jappor snippet and the Alderaanian pendant Luke had given her for her twentieth birthday, strung on a leather thong. She gave it such a sharp tugthat the knot at the back of her neck parted, and flung the trinket violently against the wall.

"No, I haven't," Han protested. "Vader's dead, Leia. He's not in your head, and Luke's ghost doesn't want to hurt you."

"Oh, Luke! I don't know what mental contortions he goes through to?to love him! Luke's mind never did work like anyone else's in the galaxy?"

She sniffed angrily and disentangled herself from the sheet. She stamped her way to the window, and stood fidgeting with the controls to the blind. Han was watching her, his face in shadow, but she could sense his anxiety.

"The way Luke talks, you'd think he was thinking about?about forgiving him for, for not taking me to the swoop races when I was little or something!"

Han got up and came behind her, big hands massaging her tense shoulders.

"And I am trying, but?the Death Star. Luke. You. That's the worst, what he did to you."

"I've heard about fathers-in
  2. GreatOne Force Ghost

star 4
    Great Han and Leia interaction! Loved it! :)
  3. EmilieDarklighter Jedi Master

star 4
    Lovely, Cat! Thankees for responding to my challenge!

Vader with Lukie's eyes...*shivers*
  4. Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    GreatOne: Thanks! I had to get some nice H/L mush in, seeing as my pet character (Luke) was forbidden from appearing ;)

Emmi: well, he does! Look at Hayden! [face_love]
  5. LovelyLea Jedi Knight

star 3
    Absolutely Wonderful! :)
  6. astrowoman Jedi Knight

star 1
    Great viggie! Han is a hunk [face_love]

Astro
  7. Tara Jedi Knight

star 3
    That was so cute! Love the last line [face_love]
  8. Kab730 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great Job-I loved the last line.
  9. Miska Jedi Knight

star 2
    aww! That was adorable! I particularly liked this line:

Nothing ever seemed so bad when she was in Han's arms and she suspected that he knew it.

I love the idea that, strong as Leia is, she gets scared sometimes- and everyone's favorite scoundrel is (usually) there it make it all better!

Keep writing!!
  10. Solo_Fan Jedi Master

star 4
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading this H/L vignette. My favorite H/L stories are where the two of them reveal their softer sides (usually after a few arguments.) Totally sweet!! :)

Like others, I loved the last line. I like when Leia takes charge.
  11. QueenOfAces Jedi Knight

star 2
    Great work! At this risk of sounding repetitive, I loved the last line too! You were definitely up to the "challenge" for this one!
  12. alhana_antilles Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great viggie! The lines I enjoyed the best are
    "I've heard about fathers-in-law from hell, but that was going too far, I gotta say," Han said.

and "Yeah?" She hooked a knee over his legs and curled up against his chest. "?that's not the only thing I'm getting on top of."

Those two lines pick up on Han ans Leia's characters well.

:)

13. A-Windsor Jedi Knight

star 3
    Awwwwwwwwwwww. That's so cute! I love stories dealing with Leia's struggle to forgive Anakin. Great job!
  14. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
  15. J_Girl Force Ghost

star 4
    "I know?I think you mentioned it before."

Great line! :D I think you did a wonderful job meeting the challenge and ended up with a terrific little scene, too.

J_Girl

16. Puggy Jedi Knight

star 3
    Awww... What an adorable vignette, Sock_of_Darth_Vader! I especially adored this exchange:

"Han, I love you."

"I know?I think you mentioned it before."

So cute--great work! :)
  17. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I really enjoyed this. :) Perfect characterisations and dialogue. I especially like the way you capture Han's sardonic humour, and Leia's awareness that she's fighting a losing batlle, but she's gonna fight to the end anyway. What a woman. ;)
  18. Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Guess who was a bad girl and didn't reply [face_blush]

Lea: Thank you! *bows*

astrowoman: Indeed he is ;)

Tara, Kab, Solo_Fan, and QueenofAces: Glad you liked it! I actually wasn't quite sure about it at first, but my sister said leave it in.

Miska: Wish I had a Han to make it all better... ;)

alhana_antilles: Oh good, someone has a different favorite line! My sister cracked up at the 'fathers-in-law from hell', and pointed out that it's 'fathers-in-law', not 'father-in-laws' :D

A-Windsor: Yeah, that interests me a lot too. Credit (or blame ;)) goes to the amazing JediGaladriel.

YubYub: Glad you think so :)

J_Girl; I was pretty proud of that one myself. ;)

Puggy: Thanks. If I did rip movie dialogue, at least I did it more tactfully than a certain EUthor we all know and, er, know. :D

Tahi: Yes, I love Leia loads myself. Haven't seen you for ages, so this is where you've been hanging out since the board split. :D
  19. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5

Lovely viggie, Cat! I loved the way you had Han there to comfort Leia when she woke up. And the last sentence...WOOHOO!!

20. kristeh Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wonderful! You do a great Luke, but you proved you can write Han and Leia with the best of them, too.

Leia's struggle was touching and realistic. And Han was perfect, loving and comforting, but with a touch of his normal humor.

Can't wait for more. I can't help hoping Luke will be in the next one, too. He is my favorite. You can never have too much Luke (though it wouldn't be appropriate to have him in Leia and Han's bedroom, of course).

Kristeh
  21. Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    LadyP: And WOOHOO to you too :p

Kristeh: I think poor Luke suffers enough even when they're not in the bedroom. ;) And don't worry, he'll be back :D
  22. Jaina_and_Jag Force Ghost

star 5
  23. Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
  24. Knight_Dilettante Jedi Master

star 4
    I loved this. I've always liked Han and Leia. And I've always thought how difficult it must have been for her to accept Vader as her father. This is a beautiful image of what she might have been dealing with. I love everything about it. Excellent. Thank you.

Trick or Treat!

KD
  25. Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    K_D: I always wonder how Leia would manage to come to terms with her parentage. And she's too much like Anakin to help that.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.