main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga All Souls Night (Obi, 1 year post TPM)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arwen-Jade_Kenobi, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Well, it's been too long but I'm back to fanfic after a year or so break. Here's hoping I haven't gotten too badly out of practice.

Title: All Souls Night
    Author: Arwen Jade Kenobi
    Rating: G
    Summary: Obi-Wan is visiting his and his late Master?s, homeworld of Caldaan for the annual All Souls Night celebrations.
    Notes: Characters belong to George; I make no money off this. Caldaan is mine, all various OCs are mine, and All Souls Night is an old Celtic tradition that I?m borrowing. Fic itself and title were derived from the song "All Souls Night" performed by Loreena McKennit, whose lyrics you can find if you google them.

~*~All Souls Night~*~

Embers filled the night sky of the planet Caldaan and perfumed the air with the scent of kranen plants being burned on great ceremonial bonfires. They dotted the heaths of this world this night, and many would still be going when day broke. For tonight was All Souls Night, the night which would bring about the start of the new year as well as commemorate the lives that had been lost in the past year.

It was a great festivity every year. The entire planet, each village, spent the day preparing for the nights activities. Bonfires, candles, and lanterns were lit at dusk and would stay lit until the morning. Great banquets were held, a few games for the children, but mostly there were great dances around the bonfires. Dances speaking of a people?s celebration for the past year, their readiness for the new one, and their grief for their loved ones lost.

One highlight of the night would be the great Dance of the Dead. In this tradition, one member from every family who had lost a member would partake. This person was usually the one the deceased had been closest to in life and would waltz with an invisible partner. This was ritualistically seen as one final contact between the deceased and the person whom they loved most. One final farewell between them.

The bustling of the groups preparing for this ritual could be heard as a soft breeze blew through the heaths. The wind served to cool down the celebrators as well as the fan the flames higher. This same breeze coursed through the hair of a Caldaanian who had only visited his homeworld twice before. He stood off to the side of one of the bonfires, holding a small lantern in his right hand. His long brown cloak fanned out with the breeze, briefly displaying his tell-tale uniform and his lightsabre hilt. His sea green eyes slowly closed as he took a moment of pleasure in the release from the heat of the fires. The Force knew it was the only pleasure Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight, had felt since setting foot here.

The young Jedi found himself wondering why he had come back to his world. This was only his second visit to Caldaan since being born in this very village almost twenty-seven years ago. His first visit had been with his late Master, the Sith slain Qui-Gon Jinn, to these very festivities. They had recently discovered then that both Master and Apprentice were from the same world, from the same village even.

Obi-Wan remembered that All Souls Night. Obi-Wan had been thirteen years old at the time, Xanatos had only met his end on Telos months earlier. They had been on a well deserved break at the Jedi Temple when Qui-Gon had asked his Padawan if he would accompany him to Caldaan to participate in the rites of this world. Qui-Gon wanted to mourn Xanatos in his own way. Obi-Wan had of course come and had watched his Master light a candle for his fallen Apprentice. Obi-Wan had found himself doing the same for Bruck Chun, for the guilt hung with him still.

The Knight sighed. Qui-Gon had been dead a year now. Obi-Wan somehow found it fitting to return to their homeworld; where both of their lives had begun. He had also received a communication from Qui-Gon?s family, asking him to join them as they mourned their son. Obi-Wan could not refuse anything from the family of the only father he had ever known.

Obi-Wan tightly closed his eyes

2. MoeTharen

MoeTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2005
    Interesting. I wouldn't say you've lost your touch at all. :)

-Commander Tharen-

3. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    As the thousand spirits continued on, one voice became louder from the masses. A single word was spoken, which caused every hair on Obi-Wan?s body to stand on end. His breath caught in his throat, and he could have sworn his very heart-beat has ceased with the beloved syllables.

?Padawan??

How beautiful... I love to explore the Master-Padawan relationship, and you have done so very quietly and poignantly in this. The imagery is beautiful, too. Good job! =D=

4. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    [face_blush] Thanks a lot to you both!

5. Sionnach-Airgid

Sionnach-Airgid Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    :_| :_| :_|

Fantastic!

I love the All Soul's Night song by Lorenna McKennit [face_love] so I had to check out this story when I saw the title.

What wonderful imagery![face_love]

Well done!

=D= =D= =D=

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  7. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Sionnach_Airgid: Loreena's awesome, eh? I mean I heard the song and then this just grabbed and wouldn't let go. Thanks for the comment!

Kitara: Hey, nice to see you again! And thanks to you too!

8. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    And Up with you ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.