"All That Glitters" ~ A JA#5 Alternative (take two)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Lwyn`nya Kenobi, Mar 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lwyn`nya Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, I'm kinda new to the phenomenem known as "Fan Films". To anyone who has made one out there, here's a few questions:

What are your reasons for making a Fan Film?
    Is it a hobby for you, or an actual job?
    Is there a financial reward for creating them?

Just a few thoughts I was wondering. They are certainly a great thing to see, coming from the stance of a Star Wars fan.

[This message has been edited by epic (edited 03-13-2000).]
  2. Chrisedge Jedi Knight

I have a digital camcorder and have always liked doing home videos so I thought it would be fun to do a little star wars special effects video. I have no story and don't really want a serious "fan flick". But I like fooling around with software and you can check out my saber test at http://members.xoom.com/edgyleader/test2a.mov http://members.xoom.com/edgyleader/test2a.mov
  3. m0rpheus25 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Originally posted by epic:
    Okay, I'm kinda new to the phenomenem known as "Fan Films". To anyone who has made one out there, here's a few questions:

Just a few thoughts I was wondering. They are certainly a great thing to see, coming from the stance of a Star Wars fan.

[This message has been edited by epic (edited 03-13-2000).]

Many of us make these SW Fan Films for 2 main reasons amongst many, many more:
    1. Those of us involved in fan filmmaking are film directors at heart. And have always wanted the oppurtunity to work on a film of our own. With the recent advent of online films, and the technology easily accessible, now is the best time.

2. The other reason, SW has greatly influenced our lives and the film industry in general. Why not pay tribute to that by making a SW Fan Film?

Making SW Fan Films is a hobby, a dream, a personal accomplishment, etc.. Not an actual job because....

You can NOT profit financialy from making a SW Fan Film. The SW property is owned by the big Jedi Master himself: Lucas. Like all fan based activities when it comes to SW: It's ok to do it, but don't profit from it. Or the lawyers will shoot that force lighting at ya!

[This message has been edited by m0rpheus25 (edited 03-13-2000).]
  4. m0rpheus25 Jedi Knight

star 1
    For some reason, my EDIT function isn't working. I meant to type that you CAN NOT profit from making these films.
  5. ash khotan Jedi Knight

We made our fan film for three main reasons:
    1) We all wanted a way to test our skills. Whether we're budding directors, actors, or computer FX people, we wanted to have a little practice at the craft and also have something to show for it at the end.
    2) Our lifelong love of star wars. We figured, if we're going to make a movie, might as well do a SW-style flick. Now that we've gotten our feet wet with this one, we'll probably move on and do our own creative work.
    3) It's just kind of cool watching yourself fight with a lightsaber.

--ash http://secretofthesith.webjump.com http://secretofthesith.webjump.com
  6. Neeja Halycon Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have heard 3 reasons most often in my experience in Fan Films.

1) It has always been people's dreams to swing a lightsabre on screen

2) They want a way to show off their skills in s fun format

3) To have fun!

7. Wolverine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I just want to tune in to what the rest here are saying. I´m a bit of an actor (musician really but who cares) Many of my friends are actors. We dig SW and we just wanted to make a serious film. Now we have the posibilaty to make a starwars film. We can be heroes and vilains with lightsabers and blasters. That is why our´s going to be very long. We are trying to make a real movie. Not just a couple of fights or short storys. We want to make a real long movie. That is our ambition. What comes out, only god knows.
    Force on...
  8. Nathan PTH Jedi Master

star 4
    To anyone who has made one out there, here's a few questions:

1.) Other than just being a group of SW nuts with free time and the resources and (I daresay) talent to create a fan film, our biggest motivation was that the guys who started the Prelude to Hope project (back when it was "The Adventures of StarKiller") had come from a high school background of video production and really got into it, finally creating their own small production company, Clear Concrete Productions, which now includes quite a few more people. As you know, the film industry is a hard one to break into, so we're hoping PTH will help "get our name out" to people who might someday want CCP to work on a project for them. (We're also working on other projects I can't discuss, which we hope PTH will help open doors for.)

2.) Depends on how you look at it. On the one hand, it's non-profit and just fun as hell, so it's a hobby. On the other, it's meant to be an eye-opener for CCP, so in that sense, it's professional. Let's just say "semi-professional" or "professional quality, non-profit."

3.) Nope. Making money directly from them is illegal, in almost every possible instance. Now, having it as a publicity-gathering device . . . that can help out people later on, but not directly. For instance, Kevin Rubio is being paid to write a Star Wars Tales comic story. That stemmed from his work on Troops. Does that mean he's making a profit from Troops? Technically, no. It's the same on our end. We want to use PTH to get CCP some recognition for future endeavors.

I think that pretty much covers it.

--Nathan Butler
    Co-Writer/Torin Klinar, Prelude to Hope
  9. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    Cool, thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Another question, do you guys just make SW Fan Films, or other Films in general?
  10. Nathan PTH Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool, thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Another question, do you guys just make SW Fan Films, or other Films in general?

1.) You're welcome.

2.) In the case of CCP, we make more than just SW fan films. Granted, we are involved in PTH, Tales from the Holocron, and, well, other SW things these days, but CCP is a growing production company, so we're taking in more than that.

Devon Read, for instance, one of the CCP founders, works at the Correia Junior High tech center, so CCP (mostly just Devon in this case) has made quite a few short films for that school, such as Cops: Correia.

We're also currently working on a feature film script which we hope to be able to film this summer and sell professionally, but, since it *is* meant to be CCP's first full motion picture, I obviously can't give much information on it.

Suffice to say, yes, we do more than just SW.

--Nathan Butler
    Co-Writer/Torin Klinar, Prelude to Hope

11. Xecuter666 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Me and my group don't only make starwars movies, but we thought it'd be a good place to start and try to mix computer generated artwork with live action rather than just do a total CG composition. For example, our movie which is currently in pre-production will contain several people fighting against CG-stormtroopers. Starwars fanfilms lend themselves very well to effects tests in my eyes as i am not a hardcore starwars fan... don't get me wrong, i loved Leia in that gold bekini and all but i don't dream of it ALL the time, hehe....
  12. Return of the Wattowatta Jedi Youngling

star 4
  13. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

Except you, Wattowatta. tongue.gif
  14. Lwyn`nya Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    GGAAHHH!!!

They locked my other story!!! *grumble grumble grumble*

Well, in any case, I guess this is where I'm finishing it. So check back here soon for the rest of the story.

And for those of you who haven't read it yet, here's the link: Forum9/HTML/001540.html Forum9/HTML/001540.html
  15. Sat'zi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Woo Hoo!
    I was wondering what was up w/the other thread.
    This is all a bit disorienting.
  16. Kenobi Maul Jedi Master

star 4
    I think I'm going to start a petition in Communications to have the old thread transfered as it should have been. Any support? If I get a second to my motion, I will open the petition thread.
  17. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Lw, do you know -why- they locked it? Or is it just one of those random server glitches?
  18. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    My understanding is that the old thread will eventually make its way here. They lock the old threads, then move them here. They only lock the ones they are currently moving, so the original "All That Glitters" should show up soon.
  19. Lwyn`nya Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree with you! Especially for the really long stories that they just closed off, it makes it really difficult to keep the continuity, and sometimes readers don't want to read something that starts halfway in the middle, and have to click over to the rest of it.

I say that if it's continued on here, they should bring over the whole story.
  20. Eryce Jedi Knight

star 2
    What a miserable weekend. To summarize it,

Sith of a server, sadistic lecturers and waterless existance

Lwyn Do hurry up and post, you're the only one that can cheer me up right now..
  21. Lwyn`nya Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Eryce,

I'm so sorry you had such a horrible weekend I know what that's like, but all is not lost! Even if I have to be up until the early light, I promise you another post where we find that maybe Qui-Gon's first gift wasn't as inconsequencial as we all thought.
  22. naw ibo Force Ghost

star 5
    Okay, Lwyn'nya, where's that post?

Uppers!
  23. Lwyn`nya Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    ((Music: http://music.acmecity.com/kidtunes/379/ifthatswhat.ram http://music.acmecity.com/kidtunes/379/ifthatswhat.ram

Word to the wise, I'm not too sure on this post. I don't think I worded it like I could have, so this may change. But tell me what you think! ))

He could have spent the rest of the night like this, sitting here buried in his Master's warmth and embrace, the sound of the rain outside adding to the lulling effect. Here, the terrors of the cold and the pain couldn't find him. The hissing pain of his bruised arm, cracked rib, and the cut on his face from his father's ring all seemed to melt away for the time being, draining from him along with the cold.

Now that the initial emotional storm was spent, Obi-Wan could feel the exhaustion creeping in like a drug, invading his mind, bleeding into his veins. But along with the weariness came the shame and mortification that burned feverishly in his face. Obi-Wan Kenobi, thirteen-year-old Jedi, cowering in his Master's arms like a creche baby. The young Jedi hadn't wanted this to happen. Ever. And it wouldn't have if he'd been in his right mind and had fought the swelling urge to come here after his father threw him out of his house. Yet once here there was no denying the soothing feeling of finally being safe, of no longer having to run.

Obi-Wan had hoped that, wherever his Master had gone, he would have stayed there till morning. Then he could have already been gone before Qui-Gon had returned, all traces of his ever being there erased, and Qui-Gon would never have to have seen him like this, broken and weak. The Jedi Master had rejected him time and again because he was a painful reminder of his failure with his last apprentice. Then his luck turned around through a feat of strength and sacrifice. From that day, Obi-wan set himself to constantly be two steps ahead of himself, to be strong and completely self-reliant, to always know what his Master needed from him, to be the perfect apprentice, to never seem fallible or needy, to never slow Qui-Gon down, to never give his Master a reason to regret his decision that had saved Obi-Wan from a life he had never wanted and given him hope of a future he had always dreamed of.

Does he regret it now?

The last thing Obi-Wan ever wanted to seem was human.

Yet here he was, his teeth clenched to keep from screaming the wracking sobs that threatened to take him over, clinging to Qui-Gon like a lifeline, tears slipping silently from eyes clenched tight so he wouldn't look up and see the disappointed look in his Master's face.

Time passed, and when he felt his control return to where he wouldn't explode again, Obi-Wan sighed. He couldn't deny fate now. He would have to face Qui-Gon sooner or later.

The young Jedi stirred slightly in the hold to scrub angrily at his tear-streaked face and felt those arms that had given him such comfort slowly fall away. Trying with what little strength he had, Obi-Wan worked to steel himself for what was surely to come next. Qui-Gon may reject him again, this time for good, but Obi-Wan would face it like a Jedi. He wrenched and twisted his hands in his lap to keep from fidgeting.

But try as he might, he couldn't look his Master in the eye.

Qui-Gon sat back and simply kept his eyes on his apprentice. The Jedi Master raised a large hand, gently lifting the boy's chin. But still Obi-wan kept his eyes lowered.

"Wait here," he commanded, getting up from the bed and strolling out of the room towards the small kitchen. Obi-Wan waited quietly with an unshakable feeling of dread, his hands fisted in the bedsheets to keep them from shaking.

This is it . . .

Qui-Gon returned shortly with a small candle, two mugs of a sweet-smelling substance, and a compact bacta treatment case. He set the contents on the small nightstand by the bed, lighting the candle to let the soft, warm light fill the room, not enough to hurt his Padawan's strained eyes, but enough that he could see and tend the wounds.

"Here." He held out one of the steaming mugs. Obi-Wan watched him for a long moment, his ha
  24. Likamay Jedi Knight

star 1
    Alright! I get to be the first to say, "Good Job!" Touching, as always. I thought it was very good. Don't change anything.
  25. Jedi Igraine Jedi Knight

star 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.