main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends All That You Cannot Leave Behind (AU, Anakin, Ben, Tahiri?, Post NJO) Updated 11*01*05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Moff_D, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    By popular demand...by me at least. A new fic, yes involving Anakin and a sacrifice of a different sort...

On we go

Oh yeah, thanks Jade. ;)

2. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002

Dawn on Tatooine.
    The twin suns slowly rose over the horizon, preparing to bake the rough and ragged terrain of the desolate planet for yet another day. Soon the light would shine on the sharp and crooked peaks of Beggar?s Canyon, over the barren emptiness of the Dune Sea, over the bustling port city of Mos Eisley. Another day of scavenging. Another day of scum and villainy. Another day of life or death.
    ?If there is a bright center of the universe, you are on the planet that it is farthest from,? someone once said. That assessment may have been a little harsh; Tatooine had been witness to significant events in the galaxy?s history. Perhaps it would be again.

In the early morning dusk a solitary figure sat outside his abode, not unlike one an old hermit named Ben Kenobi inhabited at one time. He sat cross-legged, bare down to his waist with his hands resting on his knees. He was fit but not overly muscular, his movements, slight as they were at this moment, possessed a certain gracefulness. His eyes were closed as he sat meditating. It was his favourite time of the day, before the sun scorched anything its rays touched, before another day?s affairs truly began.
    The first glimpse of sunlight began to illuminate his features. Dark hair that he liked to keep short was now flecked by gray at the temples. His jaw was squarely set, much like his father, although the telltale Skywalker dimple centred his chin. His cheeks and nose bore the more softened features of his mother. Most prominent were the ice blue eyes that could seemingly peer into your very soul. Those eyes suddenly opened in surprise.
    Can it be? Anakin Solo thought to himself. He didn?t say he was coming. The Jedi stood and threw his tunic over his shoulder before making his way into his home. As he expected, his communications unit indicated an incoming message. Anakin reached for a towel as he headed for the unit, casually wiping off the light sweat that the rising morning suns had caused. He sat down and accessed the comm. The face staring back at him was expected.
    ?Hello Uncle Luke,? greeted Anakin.
    ?Hi Anakin,? the venerable Jedi smiled. ?I was starting to get worried.? Luke Skywalker, legend of the galaxy, had come calling. Every bit of worry and battle the hero had endured was etched onto his face. Essentially retired now, Luke mainly trained new Jedi students and offered advice for Galactic leaders from time to time.
    ?I sense Mara as well. How is she?? Anakin asked.
    ?Fine,? Luke smiled through his beard. ?You?ll be chatting with her shortly.?
    Anakin cocked his head slightly. ?You seem a little nervous, Uncle. What?s on your mind?? He paused a moment before continuing. ?I?m glad to see you, but you usually don?t travel out this far anymore.? Anakin stopped, knitting his borrows in puzzlement. ?Who else is with you?? Anakin could sense a third person, familiar to him but in someway distant. He searched his memory, trying to place that familiarity. One thing that was certain, this person was exuding a large amount of nervous energy, and a strong presence in the Force.
    Luke shifted slightly in his seat and smiled knowingly. ?The Force is strong in this one, must be the bloodlines.?
    Anakin remained stoic.
    ?Ok, I see you?re not in the mood for levity,? Luke commented as he glanced away from the screen to check some sensor readings. Might as well come out and say it, he thought. ? I?ve brought you a student. I want you to train him. To use an old term, I?ve brought you a padawan.?
    Anakin leaned forward in his chair, surprise and a little displeasure evident in his face. ?Who?? he asked.
    ?My son, Ben.? answered Luke. The tone struck Anakin as nonchalant. It was Luke?s son they were talking about.
    Anakin sat back, clearly dumbfounded. ?But, but Uncle?Master, you know I can?t?? His tone was not angry but rather sad and forlorn. ?You know?? He trailed off, not able to bring himself to explanation.
    Luke?s face stared at him from the viewscreen. His uncle?s voice was calm and confident. ?You can Anakin,? he s

3. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Really nice start, Moff. I like the idea of seeing Ben almost grown-up.
    The descriptions of Tatooine and of Anakin paint great mental pictures.
    I can't wait to see where you take this. :D

EDIT: Any time, Moffy darlin' ;)

4. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    great work moff, i can't wait to see where u take this, good work

5. Star-Lead

Star-Lead Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Interesting.

Your resident Captain of the List will be checking in on this as regularly as I can spare time from writing 'Manticoran honor'.

6. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Great start there, Moff. Why doesn't Anakin want to take on an apprentice? A past attempt failed? I'm looking forward to more!

7. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hooray - you're finally up and running. I love that introductory bit of scene-setting, especially the triplets:
    Another day of scavenging. Another day of scum and villainy. Another day of life or death. The build up from scavenging to basic survival really evokes Tatooine well.
    Perhaps it would be again.
    Classic bit of litotes! Cool. Now we know we're in for something momentous. The narrative style is great - really under-stated, and yet a little teasing. Good writing.
    ?Ok, I see you?re not in the mood for levity,? :D That sounds so much like Luke's slightly dry humour.

Tantalising ending - now we're all wondering what happened in Anakin's past. This looks like it's going to have me rivetted. :)

8. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    Thanks all. I guess I'll have to keep going now.

Force: You have no idea how funny your post was. Ask Jade about it. ;)

For those of you writing your own fics that took the time to drop in, I'll try and return the favour (if I don't already).

Tahi--puttin' the pressure on huh? Ok, I'll see what I can do. ;)

9. Jedi_of_Twilight

Jedi_of_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Keep posting, My dear Moffy!!!

That was incredible! :D

*claps*

Very intriguing...yes... :confused:

Well, here and post again!!!

You shouldn't be mean to everyone else by leaving cliffhangers like I do! ;) 8-}

UUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Hurry up, Kieron!!!

~Amilight

10. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    Incredible? Stop, you'll give me a swelled head. :p

Thanks though. :)

11. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    It's morning. Time to get UP ! :)

12. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    Next post...will be up after I write the post after that. Not today though, but it won't be a CeeWulfian wait. :D A few days at most I think.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Good job, Moth.

14. Wraith_One

Wraith_One Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    Moth? :)

Nice beginning. I wonder why Anakin doesn't want a student. oh yeah, how long has he been out of touch with his family? He didnt recognize his own cousin. :) Cant wait for more!

15. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Great post, Moff.

*Pops Moff's swelled head. Puss comes out*

16. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Good start - great premise
    More please
    Reb

17. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    Well, people seem to want more :)

Here it is:

--------------------------

Anakin Solo watched as the Millennium Falcon descended through the cloudless Tatooine sky.
    I wonder how Dad let him have that? he wondered.
    The venerable freighter touched down softly in the sand. A few moments later the landing ramp lowered and the familiar figure of Luke Skywalker emerged. Clad is his usual black pants and shirt, he made his way down the ramp as the strong wind whipped his robe about him.
    So confident and sure, Anakin observed. He took in the features of his Uncle. The youthful appearance he had had for so long had finally left him. Lines were etched in his forehead and at the corners of his eyes. Caused in no small part by his family and students thought Anakin. The blonde wavy hair was long gone, replaced by gray that was now changing to white. It was cropped short now, matching the well-kept beard that now covered his chin. The eyes still maintained a certain youthful spark, however. Perhaps the farm boy is glad to be home.
    ?Anakin,? Luke smiled as he placed his hands on his nephew?s shoulders. ?It is good to see you.? He held the man at arm?s length before folding him into an embrace.
    ?I?m glad to see you as well,? Anakin returned. Despite his slight annoyance at Luke?s purpose he was glad to see the old Jedi. ?How did you manage to fly that?? Anakin asked as he gestured towards the Falcon.
    Luke placed his arm around Anakin?s shoulder and steered him towards the freighter. ?Well, Han doesn?t get out to fly as much these days, what with the grandkids and all.?
    Anakin grimaced. It had been too long since he had seen his own nieces and nephews.
    Luke smiled reassuringly, squeezing Anakin a little harder. ?Don?t worry, there is still lots of time,? Luke offered, as if he knew exactly what Anakin was thinking. He turned his gaze back to the ship. ?He just can?t stand to see the old girl sit in dock. He practically begged me to use her.?
    Anakin smiled wistfully as they walked under the Falcon, recalling memories that were good for the most part?and one bad one that was especially painful. He shoved the sad thought away. ?So where is Mara? And Ben? I haven?t seen them in so long.?
    ?They?re coming. Ben is a little?nervous. This is the big step for him. He was getting too comfortable at the Academy. Big fish in a little pond.? He shot a brief sideways glance at Anakin. ?Nothing you would know about I?m sure.?
    Anakin laughed briefly but did not look up. The anxiety must be why I cannot sense him clearly, he thought. ?How old is he now??
    ?Sixteen.? Luke responded matter-of-factly.
    ?Sixteen?? Anakin repeated, his inflection higher. Already? He smiled as he recalled happier memories of being sixteen, refusing to acknowledge the terrible recollections. He did that often enough already.
    Luke stopped and sighed. It was the sigh of an exasperated father. ?He got into a little trouble on Corellia.?
    Anakin raised an eyebrow. ?What kind??
    ?The naughty kind,? a voice answered. They turned to see Mara Jade. The years had been kind to her. Perhaps a few more wrinkles than before, and some gray in the still predominantly red hair, but she had aged well.
    ?Aunt Mara,? Anakin said as he hugged her close. The two had always shared a special bond ever since the early days of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion when Luke had sent them both to Dantooine. That adventure could have proved fatal to Mara had it not been for Anakin. Conversely, Mara had been the first Jedi to open the eyes of a youthful and cocky Anakin Solo to a more complete understanding of the Force.
    ?Anakin,? Mara said softly as she hugged him tightly for a long moment. ?You stay out here far too long.?
    ?I know,? Anakin whispered. He quickly changed the subject. ?So what is this about Ben??
    Mara assumed a wry expression. ?He was caught in a compromising position with the Chief-of-State?s daughter.?
    ?Which one?? asked Anakin.
    ?Myri.?
    ?Isn?t she a little older than him??
    ?Yes, but that didn?t se

18. Star-Lead

Star-Lead Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Why am I thinking somethings happened to Tahiri and Anakin is still beating himself up over it?

19. The_Hooded_One

The_Hooded_One Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Good post but I gotta ask....... where is Tahiri?

20. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    I too am wondering where Tahiri is

Ben and Mryi, interesting

I wonder how Wedge would take that, I don't think it would be that well

at least it was Mara who walked in on them, it could have been worse, it could have been Wedge, Iella, or Luke that really would have been interesting

great work Moff, can't wait for more

21. Jedi_of_Twilight

Jedi_of_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Heh...heh...heh... :D

Ben is a rather compromising situation with his parents right now. ;)

Oh, yes...where is Tahiri? Shouldn't she be present, eh?

Okay, getting in deeper we go...

Post more, Moffy

~Amilight

22. Wraith_One

Wraith_One Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    Hmmm...very interesting. I can't wait for more.

Tahiri might be dead or...maybe she nevr married Anakin.

23. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Great post, Moff.

Yes, where is Tahiri? She better not be dead... :mad: 8-}

24. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    You've got everyone on tenderhooks here, Moffy. ;) Good job! :D

I like how you described Luke, especially the youthful spark in his eyes. :)

Ben's in a bit of trouble it looks like. [face_mischief] It's funny that Mara found him. 8-} Force is right, though. It could have been much worse! I don't think I'd want someone who has as many kills under his belt as Wedge to be gunning for me!

his face matched the colour of Mara?s hair.
    [face_laugh]

As always, you leave me wanting more. ;)
    All-around great post, Moffy. :D

25. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    Wow. The response is really gratifying. More than I was expecting honestly. Thanks. [face_blush] :)

Tahiri? Where indeed? [face_mischief] (Did you all see the question mark in the subject?)
    Guess you'll just have to keep reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.