main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "All There Is To It" (K/J vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Look! A viggie by me that isn't a songfic!

Title: All There Is To It
    Author(s): DantanaSkywalker
    Timeframe: post-NJO
    Characters: Kyp Durron
    Genre: romance, vignette
    Keywords: K/J
    Summary: Kyp writes a letter to Jaina
    Notes: This was inspired by the Valentine's letter challenege, which I missed and so was greatly disappointed.

-------------------------------------------------------

Jaina,

I've written this letter over and over, more times than I can count. I've tried to make it perfect, but I'm not one for sappy prose. So I'm just going to try this one more time, say what comes out, and leave it at that. Not that I'll probably ever give this to you.

It's a bit funny, really. That I'm writing this. And in my wildest dreams . . . I didn't think it would be to you.

When I met you, you were all of two years old. You reached my knee. and you liked to stand on my foot, you on one and Jacen on the other, and I'd lurch around the apartment, and you'd giggle. At the time, I thought it was stupid, but now I look back on it with wonder. As the years have passed, I've often thought about that, and wondered if I'd get the chance to do that with my own children.

I should say that I've never seen you as my child, or anything like that. A small, dear friend, yes. Sometimes a little sister. Certainly an annoyance at times. But I've never seen myself as a father figure to you. There have been times when I've tried, but it's never worked.

I'm glad that you were so very small when I fell to the Dark Side. You've never seen with your own eyes the horror that I was for those weeks of darkness. And I hope that you never have to.

Over the years, I've watched you grow, going away for months at a time, and I'd come back to find you a little different. Or a lot, depending on how long I'd been gone. I remember when you grew taller than your twin, and you'd lord it over him. I saw the potential in you, and I knew it was only a matter of time before your father would wrangle me into helping him scare boys away from you.

When you were sixteen, and I saw you at the academy before we all ended up on that planet with all those mines--do you remember that?--I was amazed that you were becoming a woman. And when I saw you on Dubrillion, just a handful of months later, you surprised me further. You were all grown up, and I honestly wasn't sure what to think.

But it wasn't until Luke sent you to find me that I found that the decision was taken from me. I was thinking things that I honestly didn't want to be thinking. You were the daughter of my best friend . . . but you were . . . you are beautiful. I'd looked away for just a moment, and when I looked back, the little girl I'd once let braid my hair had turned into everything I'd always wanted.

I tried to stay away. I tried not to think about you that way. But every time I resolved that I wouldn't, I'd see you, and it would be enough to shatter my resolve. Like that time on Hapes, when you wore that red dress. My self-restraint was so thin, I'm surprised you didn't see it. Actually, now that I think about it, you probably did. When I smarted off about the dress being too tight. Which it was. It's a good thing you started an argument, because I was very, very close to kissing you right then. And I wouldn't have cared if you'd called the guards down on me right then.

And after everything we went through, I finally had to admit that I was in love with you. It took me several weeks to admit it. I even argued with myself over it. But I couldn't escape it. And I saw that you were falling for Jag, so I wanted to stay away, for your sake, so you could be happy, but you wouldn't let me.

So I've never left. I don't think I could now if I wanted to. I'm bound to you, body and soul. But I'm not going to tell you. I know how you feel about Jag, and I want you to be happy. You deserve that.

I'm constantly amazed by you, Jaina. I'm in awe of your quick mind, your sharp wit, your warmth and your strength.

2. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    I really really really liked it... :D

3. C3SoloP0

C3SoloP0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2002
    awwwwwwwwwwww!

that was so sweet Dana, great viggie.

Poor Kyp, so heart-wrenching.

Bravo!

4. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    LumiKuningatar - I really really really liked it... :D

Than I'm guessing you'll like the next one. :D

C3SoloPO - awwwwwwwwwwww!

that was so sweet Dana, great viggie.

Poor Kyp, so heart-wrenching.

Bravo!

Thank you. :) I thought I'd try my hand at writing one where Kyp tries to accept that Jaina doesn't love him.

Of course . . . there's something else coming. :D

Dana

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful! It sounded realistic and funny and warm all in one. Superb!

6. Lyrienne

Lyrienne Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2004
    Aw, that was one of the nicest K/J fics I've read in a while. Though it was heart-wrenchingly sad, it was also incredibly sweet, and truly shows the soft side we all know Kyp has somewhere. [face_love]

I can't wait for the sequel! :D

7. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Great stuff, Dnaa. When's the next one? ;)

~~Jilly

8. JediMasterKobe

JediMasterKobe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Beautiful. Didn't know Kyp had it in him. ;) :p

Will we see Jaina's response?

9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    VaderLVR64 - Wonderful! It sounded realistic and funny and warm all in one. Superb!

Thank you. :) I was going for something . . . genuinely affectionate. Poignant, I guess. I dunno, I wrote what Kyp told me to write. :D

Lyrienne - Aw, that was one of the nicest K/J fics I've read in a while. Though it was heart-wrenchingly sad, it was also incredibly sweet, and truly shows the soft side we all know Kyp has somewhere.

Thanks. :)

I can't wait for the sequel!

I'm working on it right now!

Jilly - Great stuff, Dana. When's the next one?

Soon as I finish it. Which will hopefully be tonight.

JediMasterKobe - Beautiful. Didn't know Kyp had it in him.

Writing from Kyp's POV is a bit . . . I dunno. I struggle with Jaina, but when I start writing anything from Kyp, whether it's dialogue or something like this (or "All Paths"), it just flows.

Will we see Jaina's response?

Hmmm. Possibly. First, though, she'd have to read it, wouldn't she? ;)

Dana

10. EBrooklynW

EBrooklynW Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    I loved your somewhat-angsty Kyp. I loved the look back and how you describe his feelings developing into love.

I love Kyp.

~EBW

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    EBW - I loved your somewhat-angsty Kyp. I loved the look back and how you describe his feelings developing into love.

I love delving into Kyp's head and doing stuff like this. :D

I love Kyp.

Me, too. :D

Dana

12. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Oh my God...first of all, you captured Kyp almost *exactly* as I have always imagined him, which is amazing, and second of all...the last couple paragraphs hit so hard for me...wow...I'm normally not this jarred by fanfiction, but that was really above and beyond!

13. Lady_WinterCelchu

Lady_WinterCelchu Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2003
    awww that was really good. *wipes away a tear* very touching.

14. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    aw, that was really amazing. And so sad..

15. Jedi_PrincessAZ

Jedi_PrincessAZ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2003
    That was great! Very touching. I used to be an avid J/J fan, but you (and a couple of other authors) are definitely converting me over to the J/K side!

You've managed to capture Kyp exactly as I would imagine him. The thoughts and emotions Kyp expresses in the letter are exactly those that make his relationship with Jaina so intriguing and complicated.

Can't wait for more!!! [face_love]

16. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    "I guess I just needed some perspective. I know I don't have a chance. I think I'm starting to come to terms with that. Not that I'll stop loving you. I think the moment I stop will be when I die. Or maybe not even then.

Enough of this sappy stuff. I love you. That's all there is to it.

Kyp"

Personally, that was so beautifully put, and made Kyp's character and his pain so real to me, it sends shivers up my spine. Again, excellant job!!

17. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    That was beautiful Dantana! Absolutely perfect! You really should have entered this into that competition, I'm sure you would have win ;)

EJ

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Connemara - Oh my God...first of all, you captured Kyp almost *exactly* as I have always imagined him, which is amazing, and second of all...the last couple paragraphs hit so hard for me...wow...I'm normally not this jarred by fanfiction, but that was really above and beyond!

Thank you. :) I just find it absurdly easy to channel Kyp. Maybe that's why I like him so much, LOL.

Lady_WinterCelchu - awww that was really good. *wipes away a tear* very touching.

Thanks.

djcati - aw, that was really amazing. And so sad..

I wasn't going for sad, dangit!! I try to get away from the angst, but I can't! Agh!

Ah, well. Thank you. :D

Jedi_PrincessAZ - That was great! Very touching. I used to be an avid J/J fan, but you (and a couple of other authors) are definitely converting me over to the J/K side!

Mwaahahaha! Welcome to the Kyp side of the Force!

You've managed to capture Kyp exactly as I would imagine him. The thoughts and emotions Kyp expresses in the letter are exactly those that make his relationship with Jaina so intriguing and complicated.

That's exactly what I wanted to convey. I wanted to show the complexity of it all. It isn't the straight-forward we're-both-hot-and-good-pilots-wanna-make-out thing of J/J . . .

Can't wait for more!!!

I'm working on the next one. Jaina's proving harder to write than Kyp.

Connemara (again) - "I guess I just needed some perspective. I know I don't have a chance. I think I'm starting to come to terms with that. Not that I'll stop loving you. I think the moment I stop will be when I die. Or maybe not even then.

Enough of this sappy stuff. I love you. That's all there is to it.

Kyp"

Personally, that was so beautifully put, and made Kyp's character and his pain so real to me, it sends shivers up my spine. Again, excellant job!!

Again, thank you. I wrote this straight through, took me about an hour, maybe two. Only part I had trouble with was the first couple lines. Once I got past those, it just all came out. The ending to me was especially . . . The whole last few paragraphs are the entire point of the thing. I'm glad they're the ones everyone likes.

Eowyn_Jade - That was beautiful Dantana! Absolutely perfect! You really should have entered this into that competition, I'm sure you would have win

I would have, but I didn't write it until about 5 minutes before I posted it. I didn't find out about the challenge until it was all over, so there was no possible way.

What makes me sad about the challenge is that there were no K/J letters submitted. Next year, darnit, there will be!!

Dana

19. SaberBlade

SaberBlade Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2001
    Very Kyp-like. I know it's been said before, but it deserves repeating. You've made this very believable. I adore the part where he's thinking about Hapes and the red dress...
    -Saber

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    SaberBlade - Very Kyp-like. I know it's been said before, but it deserves repeating. You've made this very believable. I adore the part where he's thinking about Hapes and the red dress...

It all comes down to that dress. It was tight, low-cut, and really bright. I'm surprised his eyeballs didn't fall out of his head and into her cleavage! [face_laugh]

I soooo need to get my "Faithfully" series posted here . . . it starts with that moment on Hapes, and takes it into an alternate universe. Another one of those "What if he'd kissed her?" things. Definitely not as depressing as "Downfall", though.

Dana

21. Babi_Tahiri

Babi_Tahiri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2003
    I read the story, but didn't have time to reply earlier. Very good! Is Jaina gonna find the letter and reply? Can't wait to see how this turns out!

It all comes down to that dress. It was tight, low-cut, and really bright. I'm surprised his eyeballs didn't fall out of his head and into her cleavage!

LMAO!! I agree!

~^~ Tahiri ~^~

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Babi_Tahiri - I read the story, but didn't have time to reply earlier. Very good! Is Jaina gonna find the letter and reply? Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Oh, she certainly is . . . but you'll have to wait and see how that happens. :D

Dana

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.