main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All Things Costuming and Costume related! plus meetups!?

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Darth Erebus, Sep 6, 2012.

1. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    Sketch of Rogue One trooper helmet outer shell. Looks like it should be very doable in EVA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    Finished my Rogue One trooper grenade vest today. Now on to the helmet. Hoping against hope that the Russians send my Gorka-4 suit in time for the premiere!

[​IMG]

BobbyFromBUF likes this.
  3. mJedi775

mJedi775 Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2013
    Wow Tom, that's amazing! You seem really committed to this. Do you have any links to sites of how to do a rogue one trooper costume I could see? I'd like to try one since it's so similar to the Endor costume.

4. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    Here is the thread on the Rebel Legion forums that describes sources, links, current builds and discussions about the costume. You do NOT have to be a member of the RL to access this:
    http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74461

mJedi775 likes this.
  5. mJedi775

mJedi775 Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2013
    Thanks. :)

6. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    As you will see from the various posts, however, while this is a commando type uniform there are huge differences with the Endor uniform. For example, the use of camo is limited or non-existent. The headgear is varied and while a couple wear an Endor-like "donut" it is a different shape than what the Endor troopers wear. (Remember, Rogue One is set in the time frame prior to Episode IV and a bit farther away from episode VI) There is also extensive use of flak jackets and grenade carrier vests, and of course the blasters are different (but close enough to an E-11 so that it can probably be used). The main thing is the base jacket. As you will see, it's been identified as a Russian Gorka-4. Fortunately, Gorka-4 suits are easily obtained for those who wear regular sizes. Amazon has a bunch of sources for them. For XXL guys like me, you have to order directly from Russia. It's an interesting build though, and I hope the commandos have a lot of screen time in the movie!

BobbyFromBUF likes this.
  7. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010

A great video repainting/tinkering with the Nerf Death Trooper blaster. For anyone who wants a blaster for their costume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

72Princess1 and quigonschuel like this.
  8. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    That is fantastic!

9. Grog Zombie

Grog Zombie North Ridge Diplomat star 1

Apr 2, 2016
    If anyone is thinking about TK armor, this site is having a buy one get one sale: http://www.tkarmour.com/buy-now.php. I don't know anything about the company or about the quality of the kit.

10. Otto_den_Ktulu

Jan 19, 2002
    Wow. That's actually a pretty good deal. Folks splitting the cost would be an even better one.

11. GrandAdmDraco

GrandAdmDraco Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2011
    Does anyone have any info about director krennic's cape? Is there a website or design I could create one off of? I'd prefer not to go just by visual look when getting a cape together.

Thanks all!

12. Grog Zombie

Grog Zombie North Ridge Diplomat star 1

Apr 2, 2016
  13. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    General reviews online seem to be iffy on this guy, but I have no backing myself to say yay or nay. For $300 each it seems like a good deal...

14. 72Princess1

72Princess1 President - NR star 4

Feb 27, 2015
    The boys received these guns for Christmas. We are planning on doing the painting soon!!

Grog Zombie and BPStoyle like this.
  15. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    I needed a sniper rifle for my R-1 trooper build, so picked up a suitable Nerf gun to use as the base. Last year's toys are dirt cheap on Ebay and I got this one for less than 20 bucks with free shipping.

[​IMG]

I picked up some inexpensive plastic plumbing parts at Valu and fashioned an air-cooled barrel extension and was able to move the stock back about 6 inches. I opted NOT to grind off the Star Wars logos and various disclaimers that were molded in on the theory that is someone in security or LE examined it, the toy markings would allow me to explain that it was not a real weapon.(Heck, with the mods I did to it I cant even fire Nerf darts anymore!)

I gave it my usual 4 coat process (primer, nickel silver, clearcoat, matte black) and then did some dry brushing to bring out the highlights, and weathered it to look like it has been knocked around in the dirt. When better weather rolls around, I'll work some sand into it to give it more of a Scarif look. I still need to add a sling, but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out.

[​IMG]

16. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    Looks good, Tom!

TFS likes this.
  17. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
  18. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I've found all the pieces for an Imwe costume except the bandolier/belt combo and the lightcaster. The bandolier seems most critical to me. Any ideas on how to most easily accomplish that build? Any info on how they made it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    It looks like a bandolier with cartridge loops on the belt portion with a plain cross strap. Not sure if it's leather or canvas, but I'm wondering if you could take one of those crossing guard safety belt/sash things and convert it. You'll want to hike the belt up a bit higher than your waist and add the cartridge loops. Another idea would be to buy a military bandolier belt, remove some of the cartridge loops and add the cross strap (sash) part out of a similar material. Another alternative might be to make one from scratch using 3" white strapping, such as you would find on a military web belt. I'll see if I can find anything online. I checked on the Rebel Legion forums, but doesn't look like anyone has posted anything on specifics for this costume.

Wild Sidewalker and 72Princess1 like this.
  20. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    Bill, I've analyzed the photos in the Visual Guide and it looks to me like the belt is fabric. The cross strap appears segmented, but I think there is a series of rectangular pieces sewn onto a plain strap. Using a medium weight, off-white fabric (canvas?), this doesn't look hard to make. The belt could also be made of the same fabric with cartridge loops added (again, of the same fabric). Not sure about the buckle. Might just be the same material as the belt/strap. Then, there is the "Echo-Box Transmitter". I would think you could find a plastic box of the approximate size and mod it up.

72Princess1 likes this.
  21. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    Anyone need prop/set-dressing?
    About 1'x1'x2'.
    [​IMG]

72Princess1 likes this.
  22. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
    Yes!!!! A little black paint and it would be wonderful!! I can take it off of your hands next time your in town.

23. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    I'll bring it with then! I can also have a pretty steady supply of these if we need more, bus alternators are quite large...

24. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
    Groovy, thanks!

25. Otto_den_Ktulu

Jan 19, 2002
    Oh, I see lots of storage boxes in the background of scenes....

72Princess1 likes this.