main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All Things Costuming and Costume related! plus meetups!?

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Darth Erebus, Sep 6, 2012.

1. quigonschuel

quigonschuel Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2011
    Does anyone have an old Jedi costume Chris can use for this year, while we work on his Ezra Season 3 outfit? Shirt-wise, he's a men's small. Pants we can get.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

2. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Ever since I saw Luke wearing that jacket in the Medal Ceremony, I wanted a jacket with ribbed sleeves...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using a hacked pirate satellite in a decaying orbit

BPStoyle and Rock Nightshifter like this.
  3. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    Jedi costume for Chris is all taken care of. Thank you!

BPStoyle likes this.
  4. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    I dare someone to make a Sith costume with this fabric utilized somehow.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediXXL likes this.
  5. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Found this while YouTubing last night: A Jedi/Sith belt idea for the super-thrifty.

I don't recommend this as a long-term solution, since I doubt a foam belt is going to last super-long, but for a few light troops (or maybe one SWN show), this would work and be pretty economical. You could probably fashion a buckle some other way too out of plastic or a metal sheet/buckle blank to get you by.

quigonschuel and 72Princess1 like this.
  6. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    This is a great idea! I made the belt for my Captain Rex from EVA foam. One thing I added for strength was a strip of 2" nylon webbing on the entire back side, glued on with Barge and then sealed with ModPodge. That way, it'll never break.

7. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Modified Ceremonial Jacket

Sluice Friggins likes this.
  8. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    Lightsaber for Chris arrived Saturday, boots arrived today, costume arriving sometime between 3/24 and 4/15...

BPStoyle likes this.
  9. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Somewhat quick & easy EVA foam Knight of Ren "Grenade Face" helmet!

10. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    HILARIOUS!!!

But also extremely useful.

quigonschuel likes this.
  11. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    Two boxes of costume goodness are packaged and in transit. Looking to have a new costume reveal in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. jwnikita

jwnikita Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 25, 2016
    It's a Yoda costume, I just know it.

quigonschuel and WookieeJedi like this.
  13. 72Princess1

72Princess1 President - NR star 4

Feb 27, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That's a lot of orange!

14. Rock Nightshifter

Rock Nightshifter North Ridge Diplomat star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Anna, with all that fabric and your skills, James will be "Better Than Ezra" (yes, that was a bad 90's band pun)...

Seriously can't wait to see it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

72Princess1 likes this.
  15. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
    Lmao!! Thanks!! James is super psyched.

And my Leia belt buckle has shipped!!

16. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    After doing some research, I ordered an Imladris Classic wig (Desert Brown) for my Q-G setup. It is currently on backorder though..,hoping it will be here in time for SWN!

17. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    Wow, shipping from overseas didn't take long at all...Christopher's Jedi costume and my robe will be here tomorrow!

18. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    One little, two little, three little Comm Pads
    [​IMG]

quigonschuel likes this.
  19. jwnikita

Jul 25, 2016
    So I decided that I want to join the cool kids and put together a Mara Jade to submit for 501st approval. But, I WILL NEED HELP! I can't sew so I would need someone to take on that task for me. Also need some advice on fabric to buy for the jumpsuit....should be 4 way stretch, but also needs to be "medium sheen" according to the costume guide. Obviously, this will be a WIP and not a rush job so I can take my time collecting parts and such. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

72Princess1 and quigonschuel like this.
  20. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

Now to add a front flap and a pocket to the jumpsuit, And I should be good to go!

Solo42986, BPStoyle and jwnikita like this.
  21. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    Interesting day... After having performed my duties as a Rebel Legion costume judge since last Fall, I finally was compelled to deny approval to an applicant for the first time. The reasons were multiple, and I will not elaborate on them out of respect for the applicant. Suffice it to say that all that is required is that one follows the published costume standards and if unable (or unwilling) to do so, then the judge has to say nay. On the other hand, I reflected on the applicants i have approved who worked hard to make their costumes accurate and several who took suggestions and guidance like adults and subsequently were successful in their efforts.

quigonschuel likes this.
  22. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Rejection is never easy to take... Hopefully they can move forward in a mature manner...

quigonschuel likes this.
  23. jwnikita

Jul 25, 2016
    Those of you who are on the judging committees, do you judge all costumes or do you have specific ones that you are responsible for? Asking for a friend who needs advice on what parts of an upcoming costume would be approved or not. :)

quigonschuel likes this.
  24. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015

I can only address the Rebel Legion judging and don't know of any other judges in the North Ridge, but will respond the best I can. I judge Alliance Officers (characters like Mon Mothma, Captain Antilles, Cassian Andor, etc...including "General Leia" from TFA...but not other iterations of Leia), and I also judge all Rebel Troopers (RFT's, Hoth Troopers, Endor Troopers, Rogue One Troopers and miscellaneous characters such as Yavin Techs that gravitate toward the trooper costuming). I do those because I have approved costumes in those specific categories. I am not allowed to judge any costumers from my own base (Echo Base) so cannot judge any North Ridge members (although I can add my 2 cents to the Lead Judge). I'm able to see and comment on judging for other categories of costumes but can only be a Lead Judge for the Officers and Troopers. The Lead Judge makes the final decision.

As for advice, as a Legion Costume Judge I cannot provide specific advice on costume builds before one submits an application. This is to prevent the situation where an LCJ might express an opinion on some part of a costume and then when the costume is judged, and perhaps denied for some other reason, the applicant will claim that the "advisor" LCJ told them their costume was OK. That has happened in the past, evidently, and I guess it can be sticky! Before I became a judge I thought this was a silly rule, but now that I've been at this for awhile I can see the merits of it. But...once a costume has been submitted and I take the lead for it, I can offer suggestions if the costumer is off-kilter on something. Applicants have opportunities to make corrections if needed and submit new photos, etc. The best "pre-submission" advice I can provide is this: study the approved costume standards and just follow the information presented there. For a costume that has no approved standards (e.g., some of the TFA or Rogue One costumes) one should gather as many reference photos from the films, visual guides, trailers, etc and then craft the costume as close to what you see as possible and then submit those reference photos with your application. The judge reviewing the costume submission then makes the call on whether the costume is approvable, in consultation with the other judges for that category. In the case of Officers, there are three of us, and for Troopers there are four.

North Ridge members who already have had their costumes approved can be a source of helpful advice. I would also add that there are many work-in-progress threads on the RL Boards and those can be very helpful. I can't answer for other categories but the Hoth and Endor troopers have Yahoo groups that are also very useful. Tuskens have the Kraytt Klan website that gives LOTS of info for those wishing to build one of those nasty guys.

The bottom line is that the LCJ's want every costume they judge to be approved. I've yet to encounter anyone who takes delight in shooting people down just for morbid pleasure. We've all been in the shoes of the applicant(s) and want to help them succeed once they've crafted and submitted their applications.

25. jwnikita

Jul 25, 2016
    Thanks, Tom. This is helpful. I joined the Rebel Legion boards and found some Mara Jade WIP threads as I was specifically looking to see what the knee and shinguards looked like in various builds. In the 501st guide, and I think the RL guis as well, the shinguards and knee pads have 2 different versions that can be acceptedm the main stipulation is that the knee pad is oval in shape. (How "oval" they want is what is tripping me up) The version of the costume that I am going to put together is the Decipher Card" image and those shinguards are different than the comics version, but that is allowed according to the guides.
    The good thing is that I have time to build this, and I can hopefully get some advice along the way from various sources.