main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends All We Can Do Is Sit And Wait (JA, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan) - Complete (19/03/07)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Fifilla, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Title: All We Can Do Is Sit And Wait
    Author: Fifilla
    Timeframe: JA, Obi-Wan is 17
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Summary: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan crash on an almost uninhabited planet and are forced to wait for the rescue party. Everything seems fine but then an unexpected incident occurs. Hopefully the rescue party will be there in good time?
    Notes: English is not my native language so please forgive me my mistakes!
    Thanks to my Master Valairy_Scot for betaing and for her help and support. [:D]
    Disclaimer: I unfortunately do not own any of the SW characters, they either belong to Lucasfilm and George Lucas or to Jude Watson.
    Master Blida Solbak, Knight Stik Kla?a und Healer Jo ?JJ? Jawilo are my own creation.

Chapter 1

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn moaned and slowly opened his eyes. His head and his left wrist hurt. Despite the pounding between his temples he blinked and tried to focus on his surroundings. There was smoke everywhere but it vanished even as he tried to remember what happened. He was on his way back to Coruscant together with his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, when their shuttle?

Obi-Wan!

Qui-Gon was suddenly fully awake. He noticed now that he was lying on the floor of the shuttle right in front of the pilot?s chair, his left arm in a weird angle beneath his body. He rolled onto his back and tried to sit up, his head still throbbing.

//Obi-Wan?// he tried to reached his Padawan over their training bond but he got no response. The other end of the bond was abnormally still.

By the time he managed to sit up the smoke had disappeared almost completely, the air ventilation system of the shuttle still seemed to function. The windows showed nothing but a black wall but the flickering lights in the shuttle just gave enough light to see the surroundings. Now he could see his Padawan, lying on the floor on his stomach, his arms covering his head as if he had tried to protect himself. From his position Qui-Gon could not see if there were any injuries. He laboriously stood up, forgetting about his own pain and rushed to his Padawan. He knelt down, rolled Obi-Wan very gently to his back and quickly checked his body for any obvious injuries. He let out his breath when he found none. By the time he finished his quick scan and looked up he was greeted with a soft moan and some fluttering eyelids.

//Obi-Wan?// he tried again.

First there was no response but after a few seconds Obi-Wan?s eyes cleared and he focused on his Master.

//I feel like I was overrun by a herd of Banthas. What happened?// His gaze travelled over Qui-Gon and he added anxiously. //Are you all right, Master? You are bleeding!//

Qui-Gon touched his forehead with his right hand and noticed for the first time that he was indeed bleeding. Well, that explains my headache, he thought dryly.

?I?m all right, Padawan! Nothing serious, just a little scratch. What about you??

Obi-Wan slowly brought himself to a sitting position and shut his eyes until his nausea and dizziness ebbed away.

?I think I?m ok ? nothing broken. It needs more than a herd of Banthas to knock me out,? he added with the well-known twinkle in his eyes.

He leaned his back against the still smoking pilot console and asked again, ?What happened? Where are we??

?I guess you remember that we were on our way back to Coruscant?? Qui-Gon asked and shifted his weight to stand up, using his left hand to support his weight.

He let out a muffled cry when the pain from his injured wrist shot up his arm. Obi-Wan gasped startled when he felt his Master?s pain over their bond. Qui-Gon slid down beside Obi-Wan, closed his eyes and tried to release the pain in the Force. He was not as successful as he would have liked but the pain dimmed noticeably. He felt Obi-Wan?s gaze on him, opened his eyes and turned his head to face his apprentice.

Obi-Wan furrowed his brow, let his gaze wander from Qui-Gon?s bloodied head to his swollen wrist and said accu

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Somehow I have the feeling waiting for rescue isn't going to be quite that simple.... :p

I can't wait to see what you've got in store here :D

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yah! It's posted!

I like each of them being concerned with the other one....

He took a bandage out of the case and immobilized Qui-Gon?s wrist.

?Are you satisfied now, my little Padawan nurse?? Qui-Gon said in a slightly mocking tone but with a twinkle in his eyes.

Now it was up to Obi-Wan to raise an eyebrow at his Master, but before he could think of a good answer, Qui-Gon added with an affectionate smile, ?Thank you, I really appreciate your help.?

Nurse Obi-Wan! Cute one.

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I liked how Obi-Wan took care of Qui-Gon. He's a good padawan. :) I'm glad they landed on a planet with an atmosphere, too! But sitting an waiting doesn't sound like the Jedi way.

5. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Lovely Qui-Bashing! I wish Obi-Wan would be my little Padawan nurse...Hmm, on second thoughts, I think I would prefer Quiggy... ;)

I have a feeling the "holiday" will not be so simple for the two, though. Call it Force intuition [face_hypnotized]

Excellent post, expecially since English is not your first language! If you're PMing updates, might I be added to the list? :)

-DS

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    A great start! If you have a PM list, please add me to it. :)

7. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

This sounds like a nice vacation well at least they will have time to talk to each other.:cool:

?Jedi never cheat!? Obi-Wan answered dignified. ?You didn?t say that I am not allowed to check the computer, so what do you want to know??

Qui-Gon still laughed. ?You cannot remember much from the few seconds you looked in the database. Just tell me everything you know.?

He has an excellent memory.[face_dancing]

Please add me if you have a PM list thanks.

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great first post and you can ad me to the PM list too

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very nice beginning.

I'm glad to see Qui and Obi don't have any life threatening injuries and Obi taking such good care of his master was very sweet.

Looking forward to more

=D==D==D==D=

10. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    [face_thinking] this is a very cool start, seems it's gonna be a very interesting story :) ... please add me to ur pm list :D

I love the interactions between Obi Wan and Qui Gon, and how they care for each other, finding humor even in the most difficult circumstances =D=

I have a feeling things wont be too simple though o_O

11. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    Layren:
    Somehow I have the feeling waiting for rescue isn't going to be quite that simple.... :p
    I don?t know what you mean [face_whistling] ;)

Valairy_Scot:
    Yah! It's posted!
    Yes, it is! [face_dancing]
    I like each of them being concerned with the other one....
    Nurse Obi-Wan! Cute one.

Thank you! [:D]

ardavenport:
    I liked how Obi-Wan took care of Qui-Gon. He's a good padawan. :)
    He is cute, isn?t he? [face_blush]
    I'm glad they landed on a planet with an atmosphere, too! But sitting an waiting doesn't sound like the Jedi way.
    We?ll see what they will do next?

-Darksaber-:
    I wish Obi-Wan would be my little Padawan nurse...Hmm, on second thoughts, I think I would prefer Quiggy... ;)
    Sorry to disappoint you, but this is my story so Qui-Gon is mine ;) You can have him later? perhaps! :p
    I have a feeling the "holiday" will not be so simple for the two, though. Call it Force intuition [face_hypnotized]
    Oh, you are strong in the Force!
    If you're PMing updates, might I be added to the list? :)
    I?ll make sure to PM you!

VaderLVR64:
    A great start! If you have a PM list, please add me to it. :)
    Thank you! :) You are on the list!

Gkilkenny:
    This sounds like a nice vacation well at least they will have time to talk to each other. :cool:
    I?m not sure if the ?vacation? will be nice, but we will see, won?t we? ;)
    Please add me if you have a PM list thanks.
    You?re welcome!

earlybird-obi-wan:
    great first post and you can ad me to the PM list too
    I will add you to the list. Thanks for reading :)

KELIA:
    Very nice beginning.
    Thank you!
    Looking forward to more
    Chapter 2 is coming right now? :D

Veloz:
    [face_thinking]this is a very cool start, seems it's gonna be a very interesting story ... please add me to ur pm list :D
    Thanks for reading? I?ll make sure to PM you!
    I love the interactions between Obi Wan and Qui Gon, and how they care for each other, finding humor even in the most difficult circumstances =D=
    I have a feeling things wont be too simple though o_O

And I have the feeling that your feeling is probably correct ;)

Chapter 2

Obi-Wan shivered and slowly awoke from a dreamless sleep. He turned over and tried to nuzzle deeper into his blanket. He frowned when he grabbed his cloak instead.

What?s going on? He thought drowsily. Where is my blanket and why am I lying on the floor?

He needed almost a full minute to remember what had happened. He grudgingly opened his eyes and was greeted with foggy sunlight that shone through the transparisteel pane. He groaned and covered his eyes with his left arm.

Another minute later he had finally prepared himself to face the day and sat up.

He looked around and found Qui-Gon still sleeping at the other side of the cabin. It wasn?t very often that Obi-Wan got up earlier than his Master. He wasn?t a morning person; in fact he was quite the opposite of Qui-Gon who loved to be awake before sunrise. That made it all the more odd that Qui-Gon was still sleeping.

Obi-Wan tested the training bond and was startled to find his Master in a light healing trance rather than sleep. I guess his injuries were more severe than he would admit. He scanned Qui-Gon to check on further injuries that he might have overlooked the night before. He was relieved when he found none and decided to let Qui-Gon finish his healing trance.

Obi-Wan silently stood up and smoothed his clothes, then he took his cloak and went to the window. Outside, the sun tried to break through the heavy, moist fog. Obi-Wan shivered again and tugged on the edges of his cloak, drawing it closer for warmth. It was cold inside the shuttle and it looked even more un

12. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

You are so right. Not really a vacation spot more like a trip into survival mode. [face_good_luck] Yet at least they are together.
    I hope they dont get separated![face_worried]

Like the way this is going.:cool:

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great chapter
    ?I cannot feel anything. As far as I can see there is no living being nearby.?
    makes you want to read more

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Another minute later he had finally prepared himself to face the day and sat up. Lucky Obi-Wan, it takes me at lot more than a minute to prepare myself and quite a number of hits on the snooze alarm.

He looked around and found Qui-Gon still sleeping at the other side of the cabin. It wasn?t very often that Obi-Wan got up earlier than his Master. He wasn?t a morning person; in fact he was quite the opposite of Qui-Gon who loved to be awake before sunrise. That made it all the more odd that Qui-Gon was still sleeping.

Right on, Obi-Wan! I'll see the sunrise only if someone drags me up to see it (then I enjoy it), but I hate getting up in the morning.

So...are they alone on the planet? Will they be rescued? Rescue themselves?

It'll be interesting to see.

15. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Uh oh. Stranding on a planet with no living beings nearby cannont be a good thing.

I certainly hope the water (if there is some)is suitable for human consumption.

Great update

=D==D==D==D=

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    [face_thinking] Not a very promising vacation spot. :p

And I would have to complain about having pellets for breakfast too! :D

A great update. =D=

17. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

?Do you think there are some settlers living nearby?? Obi-Wan?s voice penetrated the silence.

Qui-Gon closed his eyes, let the Force flow through him and stretched his senses. After a few minutes he blinked and shook his head.

?I cannot feel anything. As far as I can see there is no living being nearby.?

Oh, I have a bad feeling about the fact that QUi-Gon can't sense anything....

18. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Poor Quigs and Obi having to have pellets for breakfast! No settlers nearby? Hmmm...That could have pros (no "pathetic lifeforms" for a start) and cons (no medical facilities, ect.)

Will they be found soon, I wonder? :confused:

Excellent post. Thanks for the PM!

-DS

19. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    PM List:
    -Darksaber-
    VaderLVR64
    Gkilkenny
    earlybird-obi-wan
    Veloz

Gkilkenny:
    I hope they dont get separated! [face_worried]
    Like the way this is going. :cool:

Separated? [face_thinking] Good idea! [face_devil] But we will see?
    Thanks for reading!

earlybird-obi-wan:
    Great chapter
    makes you want to read more

Thank you ? the next chapter is coming soon.

Valairy_Scot:
    Lucky Obi-Wan, it takes me at lot more than a minute to prepare myself and quite a number of hits on the snooze alarm.
    The same here! I can?t stand people who jump out of the bed as soon as the alarm clock rings! [face_tired]
    So...are they alone on the planet? Will they be rescued? Rescue themselves?
    It'll be interesting to see.

Patience, Master, patience ;)

KELIA:
    Uh oh. Stranding on a planet with no living beings nearby cannont be a good thing.
    I certainly hope the water (if there is some)is suitable for human consumption.
    Great update

Thank you :)
    Next chapter is coming now ? so we will see if they find water.

VaderLVR64:
    [face_thinking] Not a very promising vacation spot. :p
    And I would have to complain about having pellets for breakfast too! :D
    A great update. =D=

Thanks a lot!
    I also think protein pellets wouldn?t be my favorite breakfast.

Layren:
    Oh, I have a bad feeling about the fact that QUi-Gon can't sense anything....
    I think they just have to sit and wait for the rescue party?

-Darksaber-:
    Poor Quigs and Obi having to have pellets for breakfast! No settlers nearby? Hmmm...That could have pros (no "pathetic lifeforms" for a start) and cons (no medical facilities, ect.)
    Will they be found soon, I wonder? :confused:
    Excellent post. Thanks for the PM!

Thanks for reading ? and I also hope that the rescue party will be there soon [face_whistling]

Chapter 3

?What shall we do now, Master??

Qui-Gon turned his head and looked down at Obi-Wan. ?I am open to your suggestions, Padawan.?

Obi-Wan knew that Qui-Gon wanted him to find a solution. He remained silent for a while and arranged his thoughts. Qui-Gon patiently waited until Obi-Wan spoke again.

?The facts are: The shuttle is without energy and it is very unlikely that we can repair it. We have enough protein pellets to survive at least three days. Neither of us is severely injured. There is no settlement nearby. But I think we can be pretty sure that our emergency call got through.?

Qui-Gon nodded and encouraged Obi-Wan to continue.

?First of all we should look for some drinking water. Second, I suggest we return to the shuttle and stay here at least one more day. We can try to regain some of the energy to send another transmission while we are waiting. If this is not successful and if there is no rescue party by tomorrow noon we should take all that seems useful out of the shuttle and leave this place. Hopefully we can find a settlement somewhere nearby. I think there should be enough edible plants on this planet to keep us alive even when our protein pellets are used up. We have our lightsabers and there are enough medical supplies for smaller injuries.?

?Very good, Padawan!? nodded Qui-Gon, obviously pleased with Obi-Wan?s answer. ?Let us begin.?

Obi-Wan put the empty bottles that he had found in one of the side panels of the shuttle in his bag. Before they had departed, Qui-Gon had left a small note in the shuttle in case some rescue party arrived while they were away.

They had decided to leave the plateau southwards. At the beginning Obi-Wan had shivered in the cold air. But now, after almost two hours of walking ? first through muddy grassland and then through dense forests ? he began to sweat. He could now feel the higher gravity clearly. It was exhausting to climb over the severed branches and downed trees that covered the ground.

Qui-Gon stopped su

20. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Yay another update :D

Oh no... it seems that the weather is going to get crazy on them :oops: ... i hope they can get to the ship fast, before they get any more injuries [face_worried]

Wonderful post, and tnx a lot for the pm :) [face_peace]

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    uh oh just like that storm we expierenced januari 18 this year and that was bad, real bad. I fear for their safety.

22. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

That was nice interaction between Obi and Qui always the teacher.
    Oh Oh! Rain I hope they don't get sick.

Great story.=D=

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    The storm begins...it sure snuck up on them, though I suspect Obi-Wan couldn't meditate as he had this "elusive sense" of trouble.

I like how you portray the two together, with Qui-Gon encouraging Obi-Wan to think instead of making all the decisions himself.

24. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Ooooooh, bad weather. No wonder Obi-Wan couldn't meditate. They should have stayed at the shuttle after all and let the rain come to them. :)

25. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    PM List:
    -Darksaber-
    VaderLVR64
    Gkilkenny
    earlybird-obi-wan
    Veloz

Veloz:
    Yay another update :D
    Wonderful post, and tnx a lot for the pm :) [face_peace]

Thank you for reading ? I hope you enjoy the next chapter!

earlybird-obi-wan:
    uh oh just like that storm we expierenced januari 18 this year and that was bad, real bad. I fear for their safety.
    I think you are probably right! [face_worried]

Gkilkenny:
    That was nice interaction between Obi and Qui always the teacher.
    Great story. =D=

Thank you! [:D]

Valairy_Scot:
    I like how you portray the two together, with Qui-Gon encouraging Obi-Wan to think instead of making all the decisions himself.
    I think that makes a good teacher ? give advice but don?t make all the decisions. No one can learn just from listening without practicing.

ardavenport:
    Ooooooh, bad weather. No wonder Obi-Wan couldn't meditate. They should have stayed at the shuttle after all and let the rain come to them. :)
    Afterwards one is always smarter ;)

Chapter 4

The rain intensified and soon the raindrops even penetrated the dense canopy of leaves and drummed loudly and painfully on their heads. Neither Qui-Gon nor Obi-Wan wore his hood ? it would limit their range of vision to a dangerous level in such an unknown territory ? and so, after a short time their wet hair stuck to their heads. The cold rainwater poured down from their hair into and under their collars and soon they were soaked from head to feet despite their watertight clothes. The rain cooled down the already chilly air and the temperature was now only a few degrees above the freezing point.

To make matters worse, a thunderstorm arose. They could see the lightning flashing on the dark grey sky. The thunder was at first not more than a distant rumbling over the wind, but all too soon the ground trembled with each peal of thunder. Lightning after lightning came in short intervals; Obi-Wan could no longer tell if the lightning or thunder came first.

It was clear to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan that a forest was quite the most inappropriate place to be during a thunderstorm. But they had no chance to find shelter somewhere so they continued on their path with unrestrained speed. If they could keep up this speed they would reach the plateau with the shuttle in a bit less than an hour.

A downed tree blocked their path. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan saw no easy way of bypassing it; they might have cut down the tree with their lightsabers, but it was huge and looked insecure enough to fall on them if they were to do so. After a short discussion they decided to squeeze through the branches.

Qui-Gon had squeezed himself successfully through the tangle of twigs and limbs and now waited at the other side of the tree. His face and his hands were full of scratches and the bandage on his dislocated wrist had started to come off. Wet leaves and broken twigs were stuck in his long hair and on his cloak.

Qui-Gon observed how Obi-Wan started to search for a way through the branches when the Force suddenly screamed a warning in his mind. A biting smell of ozone filled the air. Obi-Wan, who also had heard the warning, shot a startled look in Qui-Gon?s direction, but it was too late. He was stuck between two large branches and didn?t have a chance to react before the tree beside him was struck by lightning.

Qui-Gon had to watch helplessly as Obi-Wan tried desperately to free himself from the limbs but it didn?t work; Obi-Wan was caught. The lightning had split the tree and the one half crashed down faster than Obi-Wan could react. He disappeared in an agglomeration of limbs and leaves.

Qui-Gon jumped back to avoid the falling tree. He couldn?t see Obi-Wan anymore so he opened the training bond to its full extent to reach his Padawan?

? and his left arm exploded in agony. He swayed on his feet and his vision faded to black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.