main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All we need now is a nickname

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by DonC, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Something like "The Cleveland Force," after the soccer team, or "Jedi Rocks," the song in RotJ, since Cleveland is the birthplace of rock and roll. Any other suggestions?

2. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Jedi Rocks sounds like a good one, considering the reason you gave.

I'll see if I can maybe think of a name later, my mind is blank now, I took a test not too long ago. ;)

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    "Jedi Rocks" is a good one, but how about this one...

Cleveland, Oh...home of "The Force." I love the reference to the soccer team. Remember the guy dressed like Darth Vader that came out during the player introductions? It's kinda scary to think how influenced that team's presentation was centered around SW. Makes Jeff Gordon's Episode I NASCAR seem not a big deal.

4. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    The only sports that I really keep up with in Cleveland is Baseball and Football. We have a soccer team named "The Force"? (Or something to that extent.) Someone please explain this to me... :(

5. TK670

TK670 Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2002
    Ouch! For someone who grew up playing in the Northern Ohio premier leagues, that hurts! ?[face_plain] Anyway, the Force played at the Richfield Coliseum(sp, no dictionary handy). Then they became the Cleveland Crunch, played at the Convocation Center, and won a few NPSL championships with Hector Marinaro, Zoran Karic, and Otto Orf. In the past few years (since I've moved away)I guess they have renamed themselves the Force again. Or something like that.. ;)

6. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Sorry! I never kept up with soccer! I never knew that the Crunch used to be named the Force!

Ah yes, the Colisium (I don't care if I spelled that wrong) My grandma used to live by there, one of my aunts still lives near there. So sad when they closed it and then tore it down....

Hey, this kinda comes from the old license plates, but what about "Cleveland, OH: The heart of the Force"?

7. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    The Cleveland Force was bought by Nestle about 10 years ago and changed it's name to the Cleveland Crunch, after Nestle's candy bar. Ugh.

JarJar, I hope your mind didn't go blank before your test [face_devil] .

8. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    *Thinks*

I can't remember! :D :D

So now it's the Force again, right? Because I haven't heard the Crunch mentioned lately.

9. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Nope, they're still the Crunch. The indoor soccer league just had it's All-Star Game at Gund Arena. The All-Stars also had a game against former members of the Force.

10. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Sithspawn. It would be cool if they would change the name back to Force...

11. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    LFL sued them, trying to get them to change the name. And Nestle probably figures they get free ad time any time the team name is mentioned on tv.

12. TK670

TK670 Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2002
    Oops, you're right Don. ?[face_plain] Seems I was confused by the Lumberjacks going back to the Barons name from the 50's. Happens when you haven't been home for a while. :D

13. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    I was wondering what happened to our hockey team!

14. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Actually, the Barons are not the same team as the Lumberjacks were.

Last year, the entire IHL went down the tubes, and many of the teams merged into other leagues. Cleveland and Cinncinnati Cyclones didn't survive and just folded.

Meanwhile the Gunds, who are involved in the San Jose Sharks, figured that it wouldn't be good for buisness to have their arena sitting empty when the Cavs weren't around. So, they moved the SJ farmteam from Kentucky to Cleveland. So the AHL (American Hockey League) Barons are a new organization, based on an old Clevleand tradition...kinda like the "new" Browns.

As for "The Force" they haven't changed the name back or anything (although, that would be cool) just thought remembering the old team would be a great way to connect Cleveland and SW.

15. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Ohhhhh. Thanks Krash. My sister's fianceé tried to explain it (I think it was him), but didn't do it right, so I never understood what happened.

Hey, I live too far away from Cleveland to hear what happens all of the time. ;) (Okay, 45 minutes, but that's still a while to drive to downtown! :p)

16. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    You're not the only one confused, they've done very little to promote the team (it's not thier fault). I hear because SJ is being very "cautious" with spending on Cleveland for the time being. After the Lumberjacks owners ran the team into debt, they are going out of their way to make sure they're not connected with the Lumberjacks' mistakes.

17. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    i like Jedi Rocks. That sounds cool.
    Plus I also think the Barons are not that bad of a team. They would be more heard of if Cleveland was more into hockey. They have not been for a few years. No to sound mean but I hate our football and baseball and basketball and almost all the other sports.
    HOCKEY RULES!

18. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    So have we decided on a nickname?

"Jedi Rocks" (in reference to the Rock Hall)
    or
    Home of "The Force" (in reference to the soccer team from the 80's)

"Vote now, vote now, vote now!"

Krash - Home of "the Force"

Padawan, be mindful of you feeling. I know you love hockey but you've had fun at too many Indians games to say you HATE baseball. It's fine not to be as interested in them as some of our relatives, but don't just hate them because of it.

19. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I also think we should go with "Jedi Rocks."
    'Course it was my idea, I'm biased.

20. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    I vote for "Jedi Rocks"

21. DarthKlown2

DarthKlown2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I like Jedi Rocks.

Patrick

22. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    What about a catchy acronym for a name? I like KNOC- the KNights Of Cleveland.

23. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    "Knights of Cleveland" has a nice ring to it ;)

24. Straight_Edge

Straight_Edge Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2002
    knights of cleveland is far better than the other 2 suggestions.

25. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Yeah, that does sound cool....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.