main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All who have read the novelizations of the classic trilogy:

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jeajon126, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeajon126

jeajon126 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    All who read the novelizations of ANH, TESB, and ROTJ:
    If there are any scenes or statements that were NOT in the actual movie and you think should have been included, post here please; just curious thanks.

2. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Owen being Obi-Wan's brother, but that has since been void since the prequels.

Slimy!

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    The Emperor mentioning Yoda. Especially after seeing the PT.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    There are a couple of scenes on Tattooine that didn't make it into the movie,although the Biggs/Luke scene is in the SWRD. Also the ESB novel goes into more detail regarding Luke's training.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I would have liked to see this extended scene from the script which appeared in the novelization of RotJ. Except the thing about Owen being Obi-Wan's brother would confuse things now. But I actually think I would have liked that more. It gives an interesting dynamic to their relationship.

Mostly, though, I just love some of those extended lines about Obi-Wan's past. Cutting Alec Guinness is a no-no [face_shame_on_you] I wanted to see him deliver the lines:

"You see, what happened to your father was my fault."

and

"My pride has had terrible consequences for the galaxy. "

Even if he's being a bit tough on himself. It shows his mindset and helps explain his motivations better.

-sj loves kevin spacey

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Hmm. I wonder why that never made it into the movie, or at least the Radio Drama, although the "Owen was my brother" part would cause continuity problems now.

7. jeajon126

jeajon126 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    thanks guys keep them coming.

solojones: thanks for that link, i never knew about this scene and i also wish it was included with the movies

8. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    The Prologue to ANH:

"Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears"

Is this the same Palpatine that we all know and hate?

9. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    It's possible to still have Owen be Obi Wan's brother. There's nothing in movie canon that positively erases that idea. Perhaps Cliegg Lars and his late wife had once lived in the Republic with an older son, and maybe gave that boy up to the Jedi before moving to Tatooine...? You can still fit it in. :p Or you can ignore it. Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, even though I can see why were removed, I would've liked to have seen deleted scenes detailing some of the extra training sequences with Yoda and Luke. One, because they're humorous, and two, because there are some nice bits of conversation in there that add to the whole suspense of Luke's training.

I also throw in my vote for solojones suggestion. That was always one of my most favorite scenes with Obi Wan, and it earned him alot of respect and sympathy from me.

"Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears"

Maybe, maybe not. Think about how little we see the Emperor in the OT. It's quite possible he's become reclusive to the point where he merely enjoys the fruits of his labor while the beaucracy controls most of the empire - which is additionally supported by Tarkin's statement about the regional governors in ANH.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    It's possible to still have Owen be Obi Wan's brother.

This has since been denied by George Lucas.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think his point is if that dialogue was restored into the movie, there's ntohing that positively says they are not brothers, so it wouldn't contradict anything in the films.

12. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    with the dialouge about palpy, it shows how much he deceived the galazy. "look heres poor old supreme chancellor palpatine, trying to help his people but being controled by beaurocrats." example being gunray, dooku.

13. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I seem to remember a line in the ANH novel where Ben tells Luke something about "a duck taking to water" and Luke asks what a duck is and Ben says "never mind". I thought this pretty humorous when I first read it.

14. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    In the ROTJ novel, Ben tells Luke about the battle on the fire planet. That would have been nice to hear about.

15. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    the RotJ novelization opens with Luke creating his new lightsaber, IIRC. While he's giving the instructions to the droids to go to Jabba's. This scene is probably contracdicted by SotE now.

16. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I seem to remember that Jabba lost his hair due to an illness according to the RotJ novelization.

17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    That's funny. :D

18. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    the RotJ novelization opens with Luke creating his new lightsaber, IIRC. While he's giving the instructions to the droids to go to Jabba's. This scene is probably contracdicted by SotE now.

Eh, not entirely. The ROTJ novelization opens with Luke still working on the saber, only telling us that he was reaching toward Artoo's dome as the scene fades out. SOTE has him constructing it at the beginning of the book and finishing it. Then he goes through the adventure plot of the book, and the novel ends with him recording the message to Jabba. Since nothing's specified in the early segment of the ROTJ novel, you could just say he was fiddling with Artoo earlier and only finally put the plan together toward the end of SOTE.

19. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    okay, I couldn't remember. it's literally been about 10 years or so since I read thenovelizations. but for some reason that scene always sort of stuck with me for some reason.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Chaotic_Serenity posted on 4/9/05 11:03am
    It's possible to still have Owen be Obi Wan's brother. There's nothing in movie canon that positively erases that idea.
    [hr][/blockquote]

True, though it's obvious why GL nixed the idea. It would have been too coincidental even for the GFFA :p

It would have made things a *lot* harder to explain to Luke, too...

"Anakin was a good friend... and also a good step-brother. Because, you see, his mother Shmi married my father after my mother died. Of course, I knew nothing about this until after Shmi, who would be your grandmother, died. Anakin mentioned that she'd married Cleigg Lars, who happened to be my father, although he had given me his mother's last name for some odd reason. His son, your 'Uncle Owen', was in fact my brother and your step-uncle. And... Luke, where are you going? I haven't even gotten to the part where I tell you you've been falling in love with your sister!"

[hl=tan][color=darkred][b]-sj loves kevin spacey[/hl][/color][/b]

21. BillBrasky

BillBrasky Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2004
    If I can remember correctly there is a part in ROTJ where Vader tells luke to thank Yoda for trainig him so well, that would be a nice touch, along with all of the cut parts of Obi Wan's little heart to heart with luke. And the mention of the fire planet

22. DarkShinobi

DarkShinobi Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2004
    Well, Obi-Wan considers Anakin a "brother," so with Owen, being Anakin's step-brother, he too may have considered Owen to be a brother also.

He just left out the "step" part when telling that to Luke.

23. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    I haven't read the novelizations in years, but I remember a few things which weren't in the movies which I thought were pretty cool:

-In ESB, when Luke is jogging with Yoda on his back, at one point Yoda suddenly tosses a metal bar in front of him, and without missing a step Luke draws his lightsaber and slices it in 2 while it's still in the air. Yoda's unimpressed though, and says something like, "If Jedi you were, 7 pieces the bar would be in." I think that later on Luke managed to cut it into more pieces.

- In RotJ, When Luke tries the mind trick on Jabba, Jabba says something like, "You're human thought patterns can't influence me. Besides, I was killing you kind back when being a jedi meant something!" I always thought that that part killing jedi was a pretty cool line. It makes Jabba sound like a real bad-ass, and highlights how the jedi are really a thing of the past.

- Also in RotJ, A there's a scene where Luke is facing Palpatine on the Death Star, and Palpatine considers how Luke increased in power and skill so much even though Obi-wan has been dead and thus hasn't been around to train him in years. He then says something like, "There was one called Yoda... Tell, me does he still live?" Luke doesn't answer, but the Emperor can sense from his feelings that Yoda was the one who trained him, and that he has recently died.

- Again from RotJ, not only is there the scene where Obi-wan talks about his battle with Anakin on the fire planet, I think there was a part when Vader recalls what it felt like as the lava burnt his flesh...

Those are some of my favourite novelization only scenes.

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    There are some extended scenes on Death Star II in the ROTJ novelisation, which I would love to see. Vader passing the civilians who waited for an audience with the Emperor, and the extended arrival of Vader and his 'force-communication' with his son.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.