All you folks in and near Edinburgh.

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Thraxwhirl, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thraxwhirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've been wondering if any of you call tell me what it's like at the Fringe Festival?

I'm a huge fan of Standup Comedy. It's one of my passions - if I were able to stand up, comedy's something I'd love to be able to try - but I so rarely get to go to see gigs of any kind.

Alas, for health and mobility restrictions, I am not able to get out the flat very often, and travel - especially all the way from Swindon to Edinburgh - is not something I can do very easily without a lot of planning with and co-operation from devoted friends.

Be that as it may, the Fringe Festival is something I'd love to see one year.

Anybody here ever been? If so, is it really as good as it's cracked up to be? I've often seen snippets on the telly, and heard extracts from performances on Radio 4. It really does seem to be fantastic.

Is it? Can anyone here tell me much about it?
  2. MrDankDonk Force Ghost

star 4
    you should go.

definitely.

it would be eminently possible to plan ahead on-line, choose yir shows etc

if you aint that mobile, be warned, edinburgh is a hilly bugger, though, particularly the area with all the venues ? but once you get yourself into the middle of things ? barely a £3 taxi from the train station ? you'll fnd yourself surrounded by stand-up comedians prowling the streets handing out flyers for their own shows, or doing wee 5 minute street turns as an appetiser for the full thing.

any given night, there will be literally dozens of stand-up and broader comedy things happening.

what can't be guaranteed, however, is quality. for every good show, there is notoriously a whole lot of hopeless wannabees ...
    but it is a fascinating place to be, the old festival - streets are just heaving with jugglers, clowns, mime artists, *****, more ***** :)
  3. Thraxwhirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow. Thanks, DD. :D

Sounds exciting up there, apart from the *****. [face_laugh]

Street performing can be hit or miss really. Before he got married, my brother had a wee bit more free time to take me about a bit. We went to San Francisco, and there we saw this groovy escapologist dude just entrapping and freeing himself for the purposes of entertaining anyone who happened by.

Kinda weird, but compelling.

I'd love to get up there to the Fringe though. What month is it in normally - August?
  4. MrDankDonk Force Ghost

star 4
    aye, its on now...
    scottish newspapers are full of it....

get on google and you should be able to find loads of online reviews and photos and stuff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.