main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All You Need is Love: the Beatles Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Adi_Gallia_9, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Radiohead, I know the ending to Strawberry Fields that you're talking about. It's on the Anthology. And I''m going to go figure out the false ending for sure. But I think you're right that it is Strawberry Fields.

I got into the Beatles in '95 with the Anthology. I watched them on TV and began listening to all my parents' old Beatles records. They quickly became my favorite band. :)

What did you guys think of Real Love and Free as a Bird, speaking of the Anthology?

EDIT: Welcome Tod. Nice to met you. :) While it's not my favorite, I love Beatles for Sale as well. My least favorite album is probably Meet/With the Beatles.

And I've listened to the Beatles on record as well as CD, and while I think the quality of the CDs is better than my scratchy records, the CDs aren't as good as new CDs released now. I think it has somethign to do with the Beatles' album's being released on CD in the late 80s when CDs were first catching on and consequently, the quality isn't as good.

2. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Anyway I have listened same Beatles albums as CD versions too and IMHO they have been remastered very poorly. My vinyls sound much better. I have probably mentioned this in some earlier Beatles discussion but if anybody else has noticed this I would like to know.

I totally, totally agree with you, Tod! :D My sister only had the vinyls and LPs, and I have to say, nothing compares to their "full-bodied" sound. :D

In terms of the "remasters" that you all have mentioned, are you referring to the "24-bit" remasters because I have five of these albums on Mp3 format? :confused:

3. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Perhaps they should rerelease Beatles albums now. It's too bad that most people can't enjoy Beatles with sound quality equal to musical quality. Fortunately my albums are still in quite good condition so there's no disturbing scratches.

"What did you guys think of Real Love and Free as a Bird, speaking of the Anthology?"

I didn't really like Free As A Bird" but Real Love was very interesting piece of music. Overall I didn't really like those three Anthology set. They offered very little new.

Have you listened Beatles' BBC session double CD? That's very good. I think it was shortly after they made Help!. I don't have that myself ,my brother has it (as well as those Anthologies), so it's been a while since I last listened it. But it shows how well they could make a show in real time radio show. Definitely worth of listening.

4. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    I like Real Love as well. But Free as a Bird was disappointing; the video is great though. :) I love trying to find all the references to the other songs.

As for the Anthologies, I have all three as the Anthology was what started me on the Beatles to begin with. There are some interesting different takes of songs, and some never released songs, but you know why they released the versions they did.

5. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    "What did you guys think of Real Love and Free as a Bird, speaking of the Anthology?"

I honestly thought that "Real Love" was going to be a huge success and near the top of the charts for a while. Unfortunately, things didn't turn out that way. :(

In terms of "Free as a Bird," I must say that it was different. However, the music video for it was quite funky (but in a good way). :D

6. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    As for the Anthologies, I have all three as the Anthology was what started me on the Beatles to begin with.

Besides my sister, and more so than the Anthologies, the Red and Blue Albums were what really sparked my interest. :D

7. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Here's link to All Music Guide's review of Live at the BBC. If you don't have this, go get it.

8. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    In your esteemed opinions, why do you think the Beatles broke up? Was it the rigours of fame? Was it personal differences? Was it Yoko? Was it an inevitability? :confused:

9. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Beyond the travesity that is Magical Mystery Tour

If you think of MMT as pioneering the genre of music video rather than as being a "movie", you could see Paul's brainchild as being ahead of its time rather than the critical & commercial flop that the movie was.

Real Love: I like the original Lennon recording from the Imagine soundtrack better. It's too bad John didn't polish it up himself. I like the Anthology version too, but it doesn't have the same feel.

10. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    I have the Imagine soundtrack as well, General Kenobi, and I enjoy that version of Real Love very much. It's interesting to hear it as John would have it, and then how it was changed by the other Beatles.

Thanks for the link Tod. I'll have to pick that CD up sometime.

As for why the Beatles broke-up, I don't think it can be narrowed down to one thing, but was rather a combination of several factors.

Personal differences definately had something to do with it. The Beatles had been together constantly for the entire decade. No matter how much you love anyone, you need time apart, and the Beatles never got that. From what I've seen of Let it Be, it just shows that the Beatles needed time apart.

Creative differences also were a factor in my opinion. They all had different paths they were moving in. George was into Indian Music, John and Yoko were being more experimental, etc. They just couldn't act as a group any longer.

Other things also played in no doubt, like drug use, their marriages, the death of Epstein, etc. It had just been enough for the four of them.

And for the record, the false ending is on Strawberry Fields, as Radiohead thought.

11. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    That's beyond a sound analysis of the Beatles' break-up, Adi_Gallia_9. Well done! :D

Also, I agree with both you and Super_Nation_Jock: "Let It Be" is quite a sad exhibition of the band's dysfunctionality at that point in their history. ;)

12. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Thanks, M_O_D. :) I've thought about that subject a lot actually. When people find out I'm a Beatles fan I always end up getting asked if I think Yoko broke up the band. I don't think it was only her, but if she is to be a factor, it has to be how John fell so completely in love with her, and nothing she specifically did.

13. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

A friend of mine has recently introduced me to a Beatles song which had somehow escaped my notice; namely, "The Fool on the Hill," a new favorite of mine.

I have to say that I was a bit turned off by Sgt. peppers upon my first listen. I had first heard Strawberry fields and was awe-struck by the fathoms of its musical clarity, and when I heard everyone hailing Sgt. Peppers as an experimential masterpiece, well, perhaps I set my standard too high. As a result, the experience was sort of anti-climactic.

While that album is still not my favorite I have grown to admire it over time. Also, I believe The Magical Mystery Tour satisfied much of the "off-beat' taste I was looking for.

Revolver and Abbey Road have been battaling each other for some time now to hold the number one spot in my favor.

~PAd

14. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Hi, PAd! I love Abbey Road as well. When the medley soars to it's finish with 'The End'... :eek: It's simply amazing and awe-inspiring. I don't think any other band has ever had such a great farewell song. I especially love how each member is given a solo working up to the final crescendo in that song.

I was listening to The White Album last night and that's definately one of my favorite albums. The songs are so varied and diverse that it's such a great experience listening to it.

I find it interesting though that while Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road are probably the two most lauded Beatles albums, it was Revolver that was named the album of the century. I do like it, but it's no Rubber Soul. ;)

15. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    The Beatles are totally amzing. They are probably the most influential band ever and probably the greatest. My favourite albums are Sgt. Peppers, The White Album and MMT. I think George Harrison wrote some of the Beatles best songs, but he was underrated immensely

My Top 10 Beatles songs:

1. Let it Be
    2. Here Comes the Sun
    3. The Long and Winding Road
    4. Something
    5. All You Need is Love
    6. A Day in the Life
    7. While My Guitear Gently Weeps
    8. I am the Walrus
    9. Strawberry Fields Forever
    10. Hey Jude

16. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    It's very difficult to choose ten favourite Beatles songs ,it's much easier to name ten Beatles songs that I don't like. But I'll do both.

Top Ten Beatles Songs I Like

10. She's Leaving Home
    9. Tell Me Why
    8. It Won't Be Long
    7. Twist And Shout
    6. I Need You
    5. Eight Days A Week
    4. Hello Goodbye
    3. Every Little Thing
    2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    1. Penny Lane

Top Ten Beatles Songs That I Don't Like

10. Baby You're A Rich Man
    9. Let It Be
    8. Oh Darling
    7. Get Back
    6. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    5. The Long And Winding Road
    4. Sexy Sadie
    3. Norwegian Wood
    2. Wild Honey Pie
    1. Revolution No.9 (not very much competion about this)

17. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Favorite 10 Beatles songs:
    10)Long Tall Sally
    9)In My Life
    8) Happy Just to Dance With You
    7)A Day in the Life
    6) Ticket to Ride
    5) Paperback Writer
    4)Happiness is a Warm Gun
    3) I Saw Her Standing There
    2) Don't Let Me Down
    1)Here Comes The Sun

18. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    AG9, it's been chic the past few years to cite Revolver as the most revered/influential album. I say phooey. While I love it, it still ranks behind Abbey Road, White Album, Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul and in my book, even Magical Mystery Tour & Let It Be.

Top Ten Songs off the top of my head:
    1. Let It Be
    2. While My Guitar Gentley Weeps
    3. Hey Jude
    4. I Am The Walrus
    5. A Day In The Life
    6. Come Together
    7. Here Comes The Sun
    8. Nowhere Man
    9. Help!
    10. Revolution

19. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

Who else sees the similarities between Radiohead and The Beatles career?

Pablo Honey/ pre-rubber soul beatles: Both were readily accessable listening, poppy, destined for radio play.

The Bends/ Rubber Soul: The first time either band were able to write an album rather than a series of songs that were featured on an album. A glimpse of the greatness still to come.

Ok Computer/ Revolver: Argubaly their respective masterpieces.

Kid A/ Sgt. Pepper: A changing of the guard, experimental exploration alienates many long time fans. I could also concievably include Let It Be here because of the skirmishes and squables among the band that preceeded Kid A's conception.

Amnesiac/ Magical Mystery Tour: Some more experimentation, not quite the tour de force as their predecessors. Both have a bit of a random feel to them in terms of song to song flow.

? / The White Album: Well if this theory was to continue, Radiohead's new album (due out March 2003) would be akin to this double album opus. From what I heard from the Lisbon tour, Radiohead's new songs seem to be rather varied, pulling from all stages of their career and that would seem to coincide with my impression of Whitey. To me, Whitey is a compliation of everything The Beatles had done up to that point, it didn't push the envelope so much as seal it. Where as before, The Beatles seemed to be explorers, here they come off as seasoned masters who've learned all the tricks of the trade.

But then again, I may just be crazy! ;)

~PAd

20. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Interesting theory. I can't really say anything about it because I don't know much about Radiohead (actually I dislike Radiohead and avoid it whenever possible).

21. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    ParanoidAni-droid, you've obviously put a lot of thought into the Radiohead/Beatles comparison. Well done and nice post, it was quite interesting to read. ;)

22. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

Thanks Master Obi-Dan. It's been on my mind for a while. :)

I guess I'll join the crowd and put in my top 10 list. Bear in mind, this is what I think are THE BEST Beatles songs, not necessarily my favorites. Had I made a top favorites list... well, actually I can't make one because my faves differ at a moments notice. So with no further ado, my OBJECTIVE list:

10. Heleter Skeleter
    9. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    8. Eleanor Rigby
    7. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    6. Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds
    5. She Loves You
    4. I Am the Walrus
    3. Tomarrow Never Knows (I always thought that sounded like a Bond title! ;) )
    2. Strawberry Fields Forever
    1. Day in the Life

~PAd

23. MASTER_OBI-DAN

Jul 30, 2002
    Here?s my Beatles Top Ten list:

1. All You Need Is Love.
    2. Strawberry Fields Forever.
    3. I Am The Walrus.
    4. A Day In The Life.
    5. Here Comes The Sun.
    6. Hey Bulldog. (Sort of an obscure one, but I love it all the same.)
    7. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
    8. Baby You?re A Rich Man.
    9. Polythene Pam.
    10. Eleanor Rigby.

Dan :D

24. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    It's interesting seeing which songs make it to basically everyone's top ten. And it's interesting to see your least favorite songs, Tod. :)

Here's my list, but it's off the top of my head, so it could easily change...

My Top Ten
    1. In My Life
    2. When I'm 64
    3. I'm Looking Through You
    4. A Day in the Life
    5. Two Of Us
    6. Blackbird
    7. Good Day Sunshine
    8. Got to Get You Into My Life
    9. Long, Long, Long
    10. Revolution 1

And Hey Bulldog is a cute song. :) I love All Together Now and It's all too Much, as well.

25. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Who else sees the similarities between Radiohead and The Beatles career?

*raises hand*

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.