main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All You Need is Love: the Beatles Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Adi_Gallia_9, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JollyJedi

JollyJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2000
    yeah, that's right Tod. it was andy white who played drums for love me do, not pete best. my bad.. [face_blush]

misery is another cool one. nice little melody there, and with their usual great vocals and harmonies.

2. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I don't think anybody is going to say anything new about Please Please Me so let's move on to the next album:

A Hard Day's Night

1. A Hard Day's Night
    2. I Should Have Known Better
    3. If I Fell
    4. I'm Happy Just to Dance With You
    5. And I Love Her
    6. Tell Me Why
    7. Can't Buy Me Love
    8. Any Time at All
    9. I'll Cry Instead
    10. Things We Said Today
    11. When I Get Home
    12. You Can't Do That
    13. I'll Be Back

No more cover songs. This time all 13 songs are guaranteed Lennon/McCartney material. And they're performed with great enthusiasm and energy.

George gets to sing "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" but Ringo doesn't get anything to sing. But since album is so great I can't really complain.

IMHO this is the greatest movie soundtrack ever. Although only the first seven song were featured in the movie. But if I can quote the cover text from the album:

"When You listen to the second side of this record you will agree that it would have been a pity to cast aside such a fabulousset of songs solely because they couldn't be fitted into the structure of 'A HARD DAY'S NIGHT'."

3. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I think A HARD DAY'S NIGHT is the best early Beatles' album. Like the movie it is the embodiment of JOY.

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    A great overall album... A Hard Day's Night, And I Love Her, and Things We Said Today have long been my favorites here, but the song that has really grown on me over the years is...

If I Fell

:D

5. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

For me, the best Beatles stuff is when they began to expand and try things that were unprecedented.

REVOLVER
    SARGEANT PEPPER
    THE WHITE ALBUM
    LET IT BE
    ABBEY ROAD

SIDE 2 of Abbey Road is just sublime!

:)

6. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    waheennay said it well. Everyone song on this album is happy. It's a fun album to listen to and was a perfect soundtrack to a great movie.

My favorite song on it has slowly become "I Should Have Known Better." Even though it's supposed to have a sad story to it, the song just sounds so upbeat. It's great. :)

And Tod, thank you for posting A Hard Day's Night.

7. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Any Time At All, Adi :D

8. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    A Beatles pun. Nice job, Tod. ;)

9. JollyJedi

JollyJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2000
    a hard day's nite, brilliant, a masterpiece. all of the songs are good, all deserve to be there, and if that wasn't enuff, all are originals! please please me was a great debut album, and their second was a solid follow-up, but hard day's nite proved the beatles were here to stay.

10. jamie69

jamie69 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    good day to you from the uk!
    quite right,the beatles are the greatest band...
    interesting views.
    :)

11. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Hello, Jaime. :) Nice to meet someone from Beatle country.

And speaking of A Hard Day's Night, it comes out on DVD in five days! I think I've posted this link before, but it's worth putting up again.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000542D2/qid=1032467998/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-2978659-7010547?v=glance&s=dvd

Some of the extra features especially sound wonderful.

And tonight I'll get Beatles for Sale up to talk about.

EDIT: The link isn't working so we'll have to revert back to copy, paste.

12. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Hopefully they'll release that DVD in Finland soon.

Wilfred Brambell is one of my favourite actors just because of this one movie. I've no idea if he has ever appeared in any other movie.

13. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    A little later than planned but here's Beatles for Sale.

1. No Reply
    2. I'm a Loser
    3. Baby's in Black
    4. Rock & Roll Music
    5. I'll Follow the Sun
    6. Mr. Moonlight
    7. Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!
    8. Eight Days a Week
    9. Words of Love
    10. Every Little Thing
    11. I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    12. What You're Doing

This is my favorite early Beatles album. Their original songs are fresh and entertaining, particularly Eight Days a Week and Every Little Thing. And I love the cover of Mr. Moonlight.

14. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    AG9, you forgot the two Carl Perkins covers on BFS, Honey Don't and George singing on Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby (a favorite of mine). I don't feel as strongly about BFS as PPM or AHDN, but it's got a nice mix of covers & originals.

I saw Paul in Milwaukee last night. Great show! Paul was in excellent voice. Interestingly, BFS was the only Beatles album that wasn't featured on the set list. Paul played She's Leaving Home live for the first time ever. Only 4 post-1982 songs (all from Driving Rain). A great accoustic set in the middle of the show.

Also added great versions of Let 'Em In and Michelle to the set list.

15. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Sorry about that track listing. I took the list right off Amazon; it's odd that it was incorrect. :confused: But General Kenobi is right; those two songs are also on Beatles for Sale.

And thanks for the info on the concert; it sounds wonderful. Paul is coming to Boston in October and I'm hoping to get tickets through Ebay of someplace similar. It would be wonderful to see him perform some of his songs live. I saw Ringo in concert once, but Paul has so much more material to perform. It must be incredible.

16. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    One of my friends said once that A Hard Days Night can be considered as happy partying (a hard days night indeed) and For Sale is then more like hangover on the next day. While there's some truth on that statement I still don't wholly agree with it. It's clear from the pessimistic tune of this album that beatlemania was starting to wear them out. But musical quality is perfect and that's all that matters.

There's lots of interesting little details on songs but here's few of those listed. Harrison's guitar playing shows very clearly Perkins influence (no surprise since there's two Perkins covers on the album). This album also features first time time in Beatles history use of Hammond organ (C-3 I'd guess). "Rock And Roll Music" has perhaps best Lennon vocals apart from "Twist And Shout". And Ringo plays fine a packing case on "Words Of Love".

I've probably mentioned it before but this has always been my absolute Beatles favourite. And I doubt that it would change.

17. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I've been fortunate enough to see Paul in concert four times. This was probably the best, though the first was the most "exciting". :)

18. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm so glad that she's my little girl,
    She's so glad she's tellin' all the world..."

19. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Has anyone bought the Hard Day's Night DVD yet? It's finally out, and I still haven't gotten it, unfortunately. It'll be great to hear and see their songs in Surrond Sound. :)

20. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    I rented it yesterday, havent checked out all the features yet. Really good movie though, funny stuff.

21. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    stpid target was out and it,s on sale this week. I think hard days night is an exclent album but feel free to mock me nothing say great soundtrack like Magical meystry tour

22. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    I GOT THE DVD TODAY! *Giggles* I feel as giddy as a school girl.

23. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    While the DVD extras that are there are nice I was expecting something else. Something more I think.

A commentary track from Dick Lester, Paul McCartney, Ringo, the writer, or anyone else from the cast that's still alive would have been good.

Outtakes or cut scenes would have been brilliant- something like the Beatles flubbing their lines, or Paul's scene with the actress that got cut. I suppose that usable film may not exist of any of that stuff anymore. Too bad.

Still though, I'm very happy to have the film in all it's gloriously remastered digital glory. :)

24. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Jedi Master star 5

Dec 23, 2000
    Sweetness, why haven't I come here sooner?

The Beatles are my favorite band of all time. The more I listen to them, they better they get.

My top ten? Wow, that's a toughie...

1) Yellow Submarine
    2) Eleanor Rigby
    3) All You Need is Love
    4) Can't Buy Me Love
    5) Ticket to Ride
    6) Eight Days a Week
    7) Hard Days Night
    8) Come Together
    9) Love Me Do
    10) I Want to Hold Your Hand

Damn, I could keep going...

11) Let it Be
    12) All Together Now
    13) Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
    14) Yesterday
    15) Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite

25. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Hi, everyone. :D Sorry I haven?t been around lately. Here are some thoughts/questions on the last few posts of this thread. :)

[b]Adi_Gallia_9:[/b] ?[i]A little later than planned but here's Beatles for Sale.[/i]?

This is a very good album and one that I have been listening to quite a bit recently. Without a doubt, my favourite songs on [i]Beatles for Sale[/i] are: [i]No Reply[/i], [i]I?ll Follow the Sun[/i], [i]Every Little Thing[/i], and [i]I Don't Want to Spoil the Party[/i] (great harmony). [face_wink]
    [hr]
    [b]General Kenobi[/b]: ?[i]I saw Paul in Milwaukee last night. Great show![/i]?

I?m totally envious, [b]General Kenobi[/b]. [face_wink] Were tickets hard to come by and were they pricey? [face_confused]
    [hr]
    [b]Adi_Gallia_9:[/b] ?[i]Paul is coming to Boston in October and I'm hoping to get tickets through Ebay of someplace similar.[/i]?

How did you make out, [b]Adi[/b]? Were you able to snag some tickets? [face_confused]
    [hr]
    [b]Adi_Gallia_9:[/b] ?[i]Has anyone bought the Hard Day's Night DVD yet?[/i]?

I just bought it a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, I haven?t had the time to watch it yet, but it definitely [i]is[/i] on my list of things to do. [face_wink]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.