main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All You Need is Love: the Beatles Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Adi_Gallia_9, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    I saw Paul last night in Saint Louis on John Lennon's Birthday! Excellent show! Envy me!

Just thought I make my first post in this thread a dandy!

2. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    You know what's a good book about The Beatles?

Revolution in the Head by Ian McDonald. It's a very intelligent, critical, and inspirational song-by-song analysis, Anthology songs included, and it also gives you a good idea of The Beatles and their time (hence the title). I consider it the best book on the subject; I know people like George Martin and Yoko Ono and even Noel Gallagher have praised it.

One of its powers is that after reading a song entry, you immediately want to hear that song again. It works well that way.

And it's well-written. Not too formal, but colourful and even poetic in places.

3. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    ?I saw Paul last night in Saint Louis on John Lennon's Birthday! Excellent show! Envy me!?

obhavekenobi78, did anyone open for him? If so, who? Also, did Paul specifically mention the fact that it was John's birthday during the concert? If so, did he say anything special? :confused:

Thanks for the book recommendation, [b]Debo[/b]. I?ll have to pick up a copy of [i]Revolution in the Head[/i]. [face_wink]

4. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    MASTER_OBI-DAN,

There was no opening band. There was an art ensemble of sorts in which costumed actors and actresses wandered the arena and stage performing antics from basic role-acting to sword-play. The monitors displayed scenery from a misty forest and the Parthenon, etc. Quite strange really.

Paul did, in fact mention that it was Lenon's birthday. He had the entire crowd perform a rendition of "Happy Birthday"! It was awesome. He also played a ukulele rendition of "Something" for George Harrison, who loved the instrument, claiming that he originally wrote the song on the ukulele!

All in all he sounded great. His band was very intense and were very polished. One of the better concerts I have ever witnessed. Almost magical. Heck, Elvis was on hand in the crowd and the city changed the road sign on 14th and Clark (stadium intersection) to read "Abbey Road".

:)

5. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    That sounds like a wonderful concert. I was unable to get tickets, unfortunately. :(

And that's sweet of Paul to remember John and George. :)

And has anyone read "A Hard Day's Write"? It goes through the inspiration and details of every song. I've never read it, but I've always meant to and it looks very interesting.

6. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    It's not that great.

Revolution in the Head -- also a song-by-song analysis -- really is much better.

7. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Thanks, Debo. I'll have to check that book out. :)

And I finally got the Hard Day's Night DVD. The movie itself is impressive and great to have with DVD quality and surround sound. However, the extras aren't that great. The interviews are interesting, but that's all they are- interviews. They needed to have more of the Beatles in the extras, not just the other cast members.

8. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Are they going to release Help! DVD too?

And are we soon going to discuss about Help! album, Adi?

9. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Guys, I really hate to do this to y'all, especially after how far you've gotten, but you're going to need to move this to the YJCC. You have 5 days to do so before I lock it. If you've got any questions, read this or PM me. Thanks. :)

10. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.