main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Allegiance (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Lt_Dak-Ferris, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I should start by saying I'm on p. 130. If you don't want to be spoiled, stop reading my post.

Allegiance by Timothy Zahn is the next novel for our Errant Venture Book Club. In the interest of getting a head start in my reading this time around, I thought if I started a thread on the book it would keep me on track to finish with less hastiness. So I'm posting some of my thoughts and impressions as I read. Hopefully, some of my fellow book clubbers will join me. So come and post your thoughts, complaints, hoorays, and the like.

As for me, I think it's one of Zahn's best so far. Now I should qualify that by saying I've never thought Zahn to be the be all and end all of Star Wars authors. He's always solid, but to me he's a double up the middle kind of guy. He's not Hank Aaron. I'd take Matthew Stover, Karen Traviss, and Aaron Allston over him any day . . . and that's just for starters.

Having said that, I think we might have a triple in the making. I've always thought one of Zahn's great weaknesses is his lack of characterization. You get tons of plot and action, but you never get to know the characters very well. I thought Outbound Flight was one of his worst examples of this. Here however, we are getting to know people. These character are coming off the page for me and feeling more alive, rather than talking plot points.

The AWOL Stormtroopers are definitely more developed characters than in your average Zahn book. Now they aren't Allston or Traviss developed, but definitely an improvement. So far he's making me care about these guys and become interested in where this is going. Part of my interest is the feeling that at least a couple of them are going to end up dead, but a big part of it comes from the way they relate to each other and their world-view (I guess galaxy view in this case). However, I think the move from loyal stormtrooper to Robin Hood happened a little too quickly. Again, I blame Zahn's need to drive the plot train express.

I also think he has nailed the back and forth between Han and Leia perfectly. Two people who think they hate each other's guts, but are falling in love without recognizing it (at least not yet). One of my favorite lines so far is when Han thinks to himself, "But after Luke and Rieekan and Her Royal Plush Gowns and Hair Fashions had gotten through with it, the mission was looking to turn into a major diplomatic tour" (106).

What I don't like so far: Mara Jade. Now don't get me wrong, when Zahn writes her she's usually a good character, and she's a good character in this book, but I think he's made some major mistakes here. So far Mara Jade, at 18 years old, is as smart, competent and abled as 30 year old Mara Jade. Even Sidney Brisow of Alias didn't become a bada$$ until she was in grad school and 23. Look! There's Mara taking out a room full of thugs all by herself while unarmed. There's Mara going on long, tough missions completely alone and with no support around her. But wait, there's Mara taking out 4 bad guys in a cramped freighter cockpit, blocking all of their laser bolts from point blank range.

Do I think mid-20's Mara could do that? Absolutely. Do I buy that she is further ahead in her Force abilities than Luke at this stage? Fo sho! She's got a great teacher in Palpy, while Luke is on his own. But it would have made a lot more sense to portray her more as a rookie and less of a seasoned operative. Heck, when she runs into Vader in Palp's library - and tall, dark, and scary threatens her - her response is, "Gosh, what's his problem? Why is he so insecure?" 18 year old Mara Jade wouldn't be intimidated? Even a little? Come on!

Not only that, but she already sees flaws in Palpatine as a leader. "The Emperor was a wise and good man, but he had an odd tendency sometimes to see Rebels and rebel conspiracies where they might not actually exist" (37). If she was this mature and wise at 18, she should have been ruling the galaxy long before she married Luke Skywalker.

OK, I've blabbed enough. More lat

2. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Cool beans....
    I am not reading this book yet....I did costume the release of "Allegiance" in Highland...and sometimes we get a complimentary copy of the book...this time I did not...so I will probably wait for it to come out in paperback (the only hard copies I buy are the ones that I get signed by the author...saves room on the bookshelf)...but I digress...

It is awesome to have you posting your thoughts on the book...it makes me want to go out and get this book in hardcover and read along with you ....I enjoy your comments....and you know me....I am all about the spoilers....lol....

keep posting your thoughts if you can...

and...I do feel that Zahn has always given Mara "superpowers" above what one would reason she should/could have....where I find Mara interesting...she is not one of my favorite characters....

3. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm almost finished with the book and will post many a thought probably later today or tomorrow depending on when I find time to read.

4. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say DrJawa.

I know what you mean about hardcovers Phyllis. I only get hardcovers in order to keep up with book club or as gifts. Otherwise, I go cheap. It really stinks when you drop $25-$30 for a hardcover and it's not good. Of course there has been many a great Star Wars paperback that I would have gladly shelled out hardcover prices for (Republic Commando, Traitor, etc.)

5. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    www.starwarsactionnews.com is a collecting podcast, and their latest podcast has an interview with Zahn in it. Download the mp3 and listen about 30 minutes in. It contains mild spoilers, so I haven't listened yet. If you like to collect I recommend the whole podcast, it's a fun listen

6. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Okay, I've finished the book and before I go any further wanted to say that I did like it but have quite a few critiques.

I'll first agree with Dan that I too think it's one of Zahn's better SW books but that I too don't consider him to be one of the best SW authors such as Traviss or Stover. With each book Zahn seems to be more concerned with events and plots and advancing them than he does with character development. In this regard his SW writing style reminds me of how SW books used to be. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing as he's an author that actually does this well.

Zahn also comes up with great ideas and characters that you're interested in and want to know more about and read more about. I absolutely loved the Hand of Judgement and will be very, very disappointed if we don't get more books with them. The only thing is that just because Zahn came up with these great characters, it doesn't mean I would like him to write their further adventures. In fact I love to see them in the hands of another author.

Mara Jade, even though this book really was hers, I didn't find her very believable at all. Like Dan said above, she's only 18 but yet she's already the super-bad super-agent we all know and some love. To me this was the biggest miss for Zahn, he had a book with her as the main character with her early in her career as the Emperor's Hand and could've done some wonderful character development and growth and took the reader deeper into who she was but instead we get none of that, only the super bad@$$. Also, I didn't buy her decisions at the end of the book.

One other thing I didn't like that I think Zahn missed out on was the discovery of the growing corruption in the Empire by those in it's service. Yes we get it at the beginning with the Hand of Judgement and again at the end with them and Mara but for almost the entire middle of the book it's only mentioned briefly and takes a back seat to plot and events. This internal corruption was a fascinating idea and I would've loved to see it explored more.

Real quick though I will say that Luke, Han, and Leia though they were only supporting players were dead on. Zahn does a fantastic job especially with the interplay between Han and Leia. Just classic.

One more thing too, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I like how Obi-Wan was written and his interaction with Luke. I just don't know if it rang true to me. Maybe talking about it more at book club this month will help me decide.

Regardless of all my critiques this was a good, fun read and I would recommend it. I just think Zahn has his flaws as an author and they're seen here in this book.

7. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    Ok, so far I have hated this book, and I will post my reasons later, after I finish this driveling tale. I am dern near done with it, so I will update tomorrow night

Although I am hoping the ending will save my perspective on the book

8. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Very interesting indeed....thanks go out to those posting....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.