Tucson Alliance and Empire ~ SW Minis

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by padumavati, Jun 1, 2007.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. padumavati Jedi Knight

star 1
    There is a lot of strategy involved. The point of normal skirmishes is to defeat the other person entirely. But there are mission books you can get that will tell you what characters to use and how to set up. The missions all have specific goals that describe victory for each side. Usually we just make crazy squads and play each other to the death, but we recently got a mission book so we'll probably try one of those.
  2. padumavati Jedi Knight

star 1
    So, my boyfriend and I are going to the dinner on Friday. I was thinking about bringing a few minis along just to give a taste of what minis is like.
  3. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    Hope the two of you don't mind waiting 24 hours, the dinner is on Saturday, and you are both very welcome to join in.
  4. padumavati Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah, I know it's the 16th, I was pretty sleepy when I posted that.
  5. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll try to remember to bring my trooper minis.
  6. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
  7. padumavati Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay, so there's a new set coming out on the 29th called Rebels & Imperials. It's not going to be like the other sets in that it will only be 24 minis and they're all reprints from older sets. Also, the boosters will only have 2 characters in them rather than 7 (the price will also be lower). This is not a set that I'll invest in to get the whole thing, since it's all reprints, but the starter comes with an Obi-Wan and a Vader, some troopers and a map. We'll probably be picking that up to get the map and the starter minis.

For those that are interested in playing minis but don't have any, this would probably be a good starter set to get. It's only $10 bucks and you get the main stuff you need for 2 small squads.
    Here's the official WotC page: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/rebelsandimperials
    And here's the Cool Stuff Inc page that has what's in the starter (you have to scroll down a little): http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_miniatures.php?viewType=Star%20Wars&info1=Miniatures&info2=Star%20Wars&info4=packs

As for getting together for a mini melee, I've been hesitant to pick a time because we're trying to adopt another dog from a rescue in New Mexico and we might have to drive out there to pick her up if we get approved. I'd hate to cancel on minis and I'd hate to postpone picking her up, so I'm not sure what to do... I guess if people were available on a Friday night that might be best 'cause we wouldn't be driving out there after work. So... of those who are interested, what day would work for you to play minis? Maybe the 6th or the 13th?
  8. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Once or twice a month, we have RPGs on friday nights, so I don't know if that would work for some of us.
  9. padumavati Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, then we can either pick a Friday that isn't an RPG night, or pick a Saturday or Sunday afternoon with the understanding that I may have to cancel.
  10. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Well since monday I picked up 5 packs of the Rebels and Imperials set.
    I got the following in order

Stormtrooper
    Heavy Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper
    Grand Moff Tarkin

Stormtrooper
    Rodian Hunt Master

Stormtrooper
    BOBA FETT Oh yeah!

Stormtrooper
    Rebel Captain

Yep I am hooked I plan on going to Hardcastle to trade off some Magic MTG cards to try to get some packs and maybe some loose figs if they have them.

What is a good set to get? I know I like what the Bounty Hunters has to offer as far as figures go but what is the best playable expansion or has the most usable characters?

As far as MTG goes there were really good sets and crappy sets too. Sometimes the crappy sets had no good rares but almost all of the commons were good for deck buildiing.
  11. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL, beat me to it. I was eyeballing a set in Target today. Maybe I'll go back and pick it up.

Unclear about this: you get a theme in a box according to the package but don't have any idea what exactly is in the package?

So, can you buy just the ones you want someplace?
  12. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Damian, its kinda like buying any type of cards. You dont have any idea whats in the pack until you open it. ie magic, pokemon, baseball or football etc. You can buy single figures on ebay and at card/comic shops but expect to pay overly inflated pricing remeber that mini Boba that was at C4 for $40? Well he sells for up to $50 on ebay!!! The Boba I got easily sells for over $30 on ebay:eek: But hey.......

I got a Boba, I got a Boba, I got a Boba.......[face_dancing]
  13. padumavati Jedi Knight

star 1
    You guys found it at Target? We were looking at a few stores for the starter but didn't find it. Bad timing, I guess.

Zachary says Alliance and Empire is the best set for playability. I think I agree. Champions of the Force was mostly rares and very rares, which means lots of common repeats and not enough different rares. Bounty Hunters has a lot of awesome fringe characters, though. If you're looking to stock up I'd pick up a couple BH since they'll be out of stores soon, and some A&E to begin building the arsenal.

Oh, and it looks like I'm on a crazy waiting list for like one dog, so that means I probably won't have to go to New Mexico. A Saturday afternoon would probably be ideal for a mini melee. I'm up for any Saturday except the next one.
  14. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    OK, well I REALLY want to get this started. So here are the dates of Saturdays next month: the 7th, 14th, 21st, and the 28th. However, I would not be able to come if you scheduled it on the 21s or the 28th. But seriously, I am DYING to start this up. I <3 SW MINIS!!!!!!111 lol
  15. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Jack, Frankie, Chris, and myself (Damian) went and looked at some Minis today. Jack, Damian, and Chirs got some Minis. We're excited about this also.
  16. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yep I got a BH and COTF booster traded in like 5 Magic cards for the two packs plus $7 cash. Hardcastle has a ton of loose minis even a losse AT-AT!!! Anyhow I dont know how a big a squad should be or what I need maybe some help from you guys and a couple test games....

On a side note Hardcastles owner would love for us to come down and play at his store and would like to start up weekly SW mini tournaments!!

Now I just need to come up with some side money to buy more minis!!
  17. padumavati Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oo, this is exciting you guys! We should probably aim for the 14th since that'll give people some time to schedule for it. I don't know what Hardcastle is, so someone will have to give me the DL on it. :p That's awesome that they will let us play there, so should we plan on that for the 14th (if the 14th is agreed upon)?

Since most people are just starting their sets, I'd like to suggest 50 or 100 point squads. There are a bunch of rules for playing and stuff, like no double uniques. But since we're just starting I think it would be okay for our first time if everyone just configured their squads and if there are two Lukes, oh well. We can get crazy about the rules when people are more familiar about gameplay. Plus I can't always remember all the rules and Zachary has to keep me in line (Z: "He gets an attack of opportunity." Me: "!@#^&%$!!!")

Okay, so I'm thinking: 7/14, 2 pm, @ Hardcastle, bring a 50 point squad and if you can swing it, a 100 point squad. All this is up for debate, of course.

Some pre-game suggestions: Read the rules online or score yourself a starter and read up beforehand - it'll just make things easier. Zachary says that the last time we were at Game Daze, they had a Revenge of the Sith starter. So if you're interested in that, you might want to call around and see if they have it before heading over.

*Yoda breakdance*
  18. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    Who wants to give me a financial lesson in how much it will cost and what it will amount to, to set Braiden up to be ready for this on the 14th. I would love to have two of us set up and ready but I have a feeling that will be impossible, so we will settle for one of the family to be ready for it.
  19. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
  20. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Each figure has a point value, corresponding to how good the figure is. For example, a Snowtrooper is 7 points, but Darth Vader, Dark Jedi is 55 points. So you can have the option of having one all-powerful figure and a couple normal ones, or have a huge army of troopers to overwhelm people.

As for ships, that was introduced after I stopped playing. It may be that you can have them just mixed in with your army, or possibly a ships-only battle. I don't really know. But I do know that they aren't mandatory to having a decent army.
  21. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ahhhh, thanks!
  22. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Minis I have gotten, Good enough or enough variety to play? I just can't find a starter set.

Darth Vader, Champion of the force
    Royal Guard
    Scout Trooper (biker)
    Elite SnowTrooper
    Heavy stormtrooper
    Stormtrooper (x5)
    Elite Hoth Trooper (rebel)
    Rebel heavy trooper
    Rebel Trooper (x2)
    Chewbacca
    Wookiee Freedom Fighter
    Jawa
    Advanced Scout (Vong)
    Duros Explorer
    Nikto Soldier
    Snivvian Fringer
    Human Force Adept

23. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Did you go buy some packs Damian? What packs were they?
  24. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    6 Rebels and Imperials 2 piece
    and 1 Alliance and Empire 7 piece
  25. padumavati Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, you have a Vader, so that's pretty dang good. It looks to me like you can make a 100 point squad from what you have there. Normally we keep squads to a faction (Rebel, Republic, Separatist, Imperial, Fringe, etc) but we'll probably have to just have random squads so you don't have to buy a whole case or something.

The Starship Battles set is entirely different from minis. They sort of marketed them as part of Star Wars Minis, but they aren't meant to be mixed in gameplay as they have different rules. Personally, Starship Battles doesn't really appeal to me because it's all ships, and I prefer the little characters.

This: http://www.swshoebox.com/ is a great website for keeping track of your minis. It doesn't look like they have Rebels and Imperials up on there, but all the other sets are, including Starship Battles. Once you put in all the minis you have, you can go to the squad builder and build squads based on what you have in your own inventory. You can choose the point value, the faction (or mixed-faction), and save it under a name on your account. It's pretty rad.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby