main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY "Allow myself to introduce... myself..."

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by SithPriestess, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithPriestess

SithPriestess Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2007
    Hi! My name is Ceridwen Troy, and though I've browsed these forums in the past, this is my first time posting. So, I thought I'd take the time to introduce myself.

I'm twenty-two years old, and am currently finishing up my bachelor's degree in Creative Writing from SUNY Geneseo. My partner and I just moved into Rochester, and are now living in an apartment in the 19th Ward. My hope is that one day my writing will earn some money, but until then, I'm looking for work in the city.

About my history with Star Wars: I first saw Episodes VI, V, and VI when I was ten years old, when LucasFilm released the THX-remastered editions on VHS. However, in a way, I was a fan long before that. When I was little, I had a set of Star Wars bedsheets that my mom had bought from the Salvation Army. The images burned into my brain; I'd make up my own stories of what the different characters (whose names I didn't even know) might be doing. I wanted so badly to see the movies they were based on. My parents are quite religious, though, so it took a lot of convincing (read: begging) before they'd let me see them. When we got the boxed set, I watched all three movies right away, and I was instantly hooked. Princess Leia was my favorite character instantly, since that type of strong female character was pretty much absent from the Disney films and musicals I was raised on. (Though, I was always disappointed that she didn't become a Jedi like Luke, especially after Return of the Jedi revealed she had the power too.)

Most of our friends still live in Geneseo, so I was hoping I'd get to meet some new people who live a little closer. With this in mind, we visited the public library in Brockport when we saw their Star Wars party advertised in the paper. I got to watch a bit of The Empire Strikes Back on the semi-big screen, which was fun, and I met "Doc-Bev" in her Jedi robes. I just have to say, though I didn't get to speak to you all much at the event, the stormtrooper and ARC trooper armor was most, most impressive. I'd love to be able to make a costume like that for myself one day (I personally was thinking of a female Mandalorian, though I'd have to give a lot of thought to the color scheme) but that's a hobby for the future, when I have a stable income. :)

My schedule permitting, I'd love to attend a meeting at some point and get to know some of my fellow fans in the Rochester area.

Thanks for your time!

2. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Welcome to the Rebellion boards SithPriestess!

Thanks for sharing your early Star Wars memories. Who would've thought bedsheets could've made such a lasting impression! :D

Keep an eye on the June meeting thread. We typically meet the 3rd Sunday of each month, but with it falling on Father's Day this month we're debating on moving it.

~Doc_Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.