main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Almost 8mths later: has your opinion on AOTC changed?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by YodaYodaBinks, Jan 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I agree JenX. I think the media comparisons between AOTC and "XYZ" movie is way overblown. It's more of a touchy response rather and is hardly the "epidemic" it's made to sound like.

But to stay on topic, my opinion of AOTC has worsened over the last 8 months. I used to rank it slightly above TPM, but that has changed. Regardless, both PT films are on the bottom of my list. And to borrow a new phrase I'm seeing around here lately:

"That's my opinion and that's all that matters." [face_laugh]

2. PaplooTheory

PaplooTheory Jedi Master star 5

Nov 9, 2001
    I think I like the movie more now. It feels like such a fun adventure movie to watch when you are bored, which is the best thing a movie can be in my opinion.

3. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I think TTT is awesome and is having a great year. I'm not talking about The Two Towers, I'm talking about The Tennessee Titans! Go team!

[face_laugh]

You're okay JW00. ;)

4. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    AOTC has improved with time for me. Everytime I see it I catch something new. I have yet to see the X-wings and TIE fighters in the Coruscant chase scene yet though :(

5. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    Over time I've come to appeciate the amount of sheer time that it takes to do the CGI and costumes...I'm a major costume junkie: so I love Star Wars for the clothes alone. ;)

-Bjork.

6. Death-Vader

Death-Vader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2002
    I still can't find the shaak on fire during the clone war. Where is it?

7. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    When I first knew AOTC, I couldn't believe my eyes, I was surprised by it's awfulness and that's unfortunate since I took all of my friends to see it hyping it up as a Star Wars movie.

I admit I didn't like it at first. (except Obi-Wan)

But, now my views are more 50/50.

I'd like to see it on VHS though, after it's been battered and used for a while. Adds a little grain.

8. Sand Hippie

Sand Hippie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 1999
    It's 8 months later... and the love scenes are still painful to watch. The euphoria has warn off, and now I think Hayden is a subpar actor.

However, the rest of the movie is pretty much top notch... though I do hope that EIII blows it out of the water.

SH

9. war_stars

war_stars Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2003
    [edited]

YJ edit: When you're banned, don't come back under another name. Wait out your original ban.

10. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I also agree with Jenx -its a sad sad realization but its undeniable.

It is not undeniable.

11. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Man, 8 months and people are still traumatized by this "horrible disappointment" of a movie.

[Bill Clinton]I feel your pain.[/Bill Clinton]

:_| <------ single tear

;)

Well, we're now 2 1/2 years to the end of the road, and I'll say I fell pretty good about it all. It's kind of like watching a great pitcher set up a perfect strike out. First you paint the corner a bit, hang one just a little low and outside, but in the zone. Come back with some nasty inside heat that freezes a hitter with arms raised high, and then toss out that huge, slow curve that begs for a big swing just as the bottom drops out.

Or is that just me?

:)

12. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    "Or is that just me?"

No...it's not just you.

13. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    I wish I could be as optimistic as you, The_Abstract.

TPM was flat. AOTC was flat. The pattern is pretty clear...

14. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    scum&villainy, are you planning on seeing Episode 3?

Surely if you thought the first two were flat, you'd have no reason to see the third one.

15. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I think people can still plan to see Ep III, because of the conceptions from the OT.

This is the movie we've been waiting to see, even if you disregard the rest of the PT.

It could be a good stand alone film. I think we've seen that the PT movies don't neccessarily have much to do with each other.

16. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I think people can still plan to see Ep III, because of the conceptions from the OT.

This is the movie we've been waiting to see, even if you disregard the rest of the PT.

I agree -- Episode III, even if one disliked the prequels, should be the most important PT movie so far. It's the whole point of the PT -- to see the fall of Anakin. TPM and AOTC, it could be argued, could've been condensed into a passing bit of dialogue, but to actually see Anakin this time become scarred and change, that's what everyone wants to see. And it's the PT film closest to the events of the OT.

Just because I disliked the PT, that isn't to say it's 100% awful. There are things I liked seeing, like the Duel of the Fates.

17. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    I think we've seen that the PT movies don't neccessarily have much to do with each other.

[face_plain]

Man #1: You're not paying attention.

Man #2: What's this about pain and tension?

-Otis

18. Molotov

Molotov Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2001
    YodaJeff:
    scum&villainy, are you planning on seeing Episode 3?

Surely if you thought the first two were flat, you'd have no reason to see the third one.

I hope I'm wrong, reading extreme pomposity and some spiteful superiority complex into that statement...

Of course I'll watch E3. I'll wait for it with baited breath. I'll live and breathe SW in the spoiler fuelled run up to release. I'm simply saying I'm concerned, and quite justafiably so.

But hope springs eternal.

19. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Extreme pomposity and some spiteful superiority complex?

Geez, it's a perfectly reasonable question. If someone didn't think much of the first two movies in a trilogy, there's a chance they won't bother watching the third part.

20. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    It's the implication that you can't be a fan if you didn't think TPM and AOTC were perfect (ie sarcastically asking whether it's worth you seeing the third one, as if SW isn't important to you). It's a common gusher reaction, and kind of annoying.

21. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Well this is the internet, we don't know what anybody's tone is.

But I think it's wrong to imply that just because we didn't like AOTC or TPM, we shouldn't watch Ep III.

I'm a star wars fan and I have an opinion, I have to go somewhere to express it.

22. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Yes, my opinion has changed.

After a few viewings on my brother's DVD copy....

The movie is even worse than I remembered it. And no, I'm not a basher. Just didn't like 'Clones.

23. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    hmmm, 8 months later and I still think it is the 2nd best star wars movie. When I first saw it, I loved it and still do, but there are some parts that I felt could have and should have been done differently. (like all star wars fans)
    To have Natalie Portman for one, nicely dressed if at all, asteroid fight, lightsaber fights with yoda, and Jango Fett, you can't put too much against Ep. II.

24. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    It's a common gusher reaction, and kind of annoying.

To be fair, it's also a sensical question, IMO. If I don't like the first two album by an artist, I probably won't like the third. If I don't like the first two videogames in a series, why should I bother to see the third one? And if I didn't like two movies in a series, why should I waste my money on the next one? I don't think people (well most people anyway) are implying you're not a "fan" if you don't like the prequels, they're just curious as it seems you're setting yourself up for disapointment.

I have a question for those who were disappointed with AOTC-How are you looking toward's episode 3? With hope? disapoitment? neutral?

25. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    It's a common gusher reaction, and kind of annoying.

To be fair, it's also a sensical question, IMO. If I don't like the first two album by an artist, I probably won't like the third. If I don't like the first two videogames in a series, why should I bother to see the third one? And if I didn't like two movies in a series, why should I waste my money on the next one? I don't think people (well most people anyway) are implying you're not a "fan" if you don't like the prequels, they're just curious as it seems you're setting yourself up for disapointment.

I have a question for those who were disappointed with AOTC-How are you looking toward's episode 3? With hope? disapoitment? neutral?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.