main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ALMOST...But Just Not Good Enough...AND DONT GET MAD AT ME!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JermaineRogers-com, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverhill

Silverhill Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    I loved LOTR. I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. But one movie completely surpassed it ... AOTC.

2. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    LOTR isn't bad. It's a great film and a great story. But I can honestly say I was more excited reading the online script of AOTC a couple of months ago than I was actually watching LOTR (which I saw twice).

I won't even get started on comparing it to the actual movie ;) (which I've already seen four times, with more to come).

3. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    I must be easy to please since I liked LOTR, AOTC, and even Spiderman.

4. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Same here Jedi-Jeff... go figure... we like them all... must be something wrong with us. :)

RB

5. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Dude, Star Wars is a Saturday Morning serial and always has been. And Yes it's a damned good one.

6. JermaineRogers-com

JermaineRogers-com Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    The effects in AOTC better than LOTR?
    Nah...cant agree there.
    The landscapes in LOTR are amazing. The battle scenes...epic army vs army scenes...sweepingly AMAZING.
    The one scene in AOTC that comes close to the epic film style of LOTR was the scene where ANakin is off to find the sandfolks who got his mommy. The scene of him on his speeder-bike at sunset...the silhouette of Anakin against the sky as he talks with Jawas...trying to find Shmi.
    THAT was impressive. I felt like..'Oh no...something really REALLY bad is about to go down'.
    I felt that SEVERAL times in a film like ESB. On Hoth. On Dagobah. On Bespin.
    In AOTC, I felt it once.
    ALSO, someone mentioned that the 'olde english' style of speaking in LOTR was irritating. I thought it was perfectly balanced lingo...it was classy enough for an 'epic' but common enough to really hit home. I think it succeeded in doing what GL COULDNT do in AOTC.
    Example- You have Yoda speaking in VERY old style: 'Around the survivor's, a perimieter create!' Even Obi-Wan speaks in this 'holy man' style...while Mace just speaks 'regular'. Dooku is just as plain. But DOOKU SOUNDS better...and thats why I think the ACTING is a big part of the problem.
    and in the same film, youve got Jango saying, 'He just doesnt take a hint, this guy!' We've gone from SHakesperian scripting to Goodfella lingo.
    Theres just no consistency in the dialogue. Thats just ONE thing.

7. Darth_Joe

Darth_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2002
    I do agree that it is hard to compare the two, but I see where he's coming from with FEELING the evil in LOTR and not having that sense in AOTC (except the tusken scene and the confession afterwards). I love them both, and rank AOTC my second favorite Star Wars movie, but LOTR is a better movie IMO. Don't get me wrong, I like Star Wars as a whole and the characters better, but LOTR is better than AOTC when put up against one another.

8. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Ok I just figured it out.. Jermaine is here to bash the film... didn't think so until this most recent post. Moving on to another thread where someone isn't making an effort to tread all over the movie. I have heard enough of this crap already.

Buh Bye. :)

RB

9. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    OK now you are just spouting jibberish. No sweeping visuals? Excuse me? *cough* Coruscant *cough* Naboo *cough* How about the opening sequence of the film? That blows everything in LotR away. The fog along the towering buildings? WOW.

10. DruffMaul

DruffMaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 1999
    Different characters having their individual personalities reflected in their speech mannerisms is a flaw? I don't think so.

11. JermaineRogers-com

May 16, 2002
    I SWEAR, Im not here to bash it. I LOVE Star Wars.
    I LIKE this movie.
    Check my previous posts on this site...
    On OPENING NITE< I came on here at 4 AM and just GLOWED.
    Look at the subject of my post...DONT GET MAD...Im just saying how I feel.

12. suineme

suineme Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    I expect more from my saga. I expect more from the saga that moved me as a kid...that hit me, straight up, on almost Biblical levels of scope. AOTC was like a Sat. morning serial...a bad one.
    It was good...against TPM. Im amazed that people are saying it was better than ESB.
    Thats insanity.

That is the problem, and that is why anything that Lucas does will NEVER live up to expectations. The Original Series is wonderful- it's part of our childhoods, it is what we grew up on. But the fact is- and I speak for probably the majority of people here- we aren't kids anymore. I think a good number of us expect it the new trilogy to sweep us off our feet the way the old series did- and it does, to an extent. But you can't go home again. It will never be EXACTLY the same. We are older, and we are at a different place in life. It's too bad, but I think we all can appreciate the movies in a different way.

13. JermaineRogers-com

May 16, 2002
    Suineme, very good post. Maybe thats it.

Im just saying that LOTR made me feel those feelings again AS AN ADULT! And Ive been waiting 20 years for Star Wars to do that!
    I told you, I HATE to admit that I feel this way.
    The feelings I have for LOTR were feelings that I have reserved for SW ALONE since 1977...almost my entire life.
    Im just reflecting.
    Anyone who knows me...and some of you who collect rock and roll concert poster art and alternative art, you know me quite well...and if youve read any of the interviews Ive done...you know that I am a SW 'purist'..really. I am not here to bash the film- That one really hurt.

14. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I don't think any kid under the age of 12 or even under 15 maybe would prefer ANH to AotC.

15. suineme

suineme Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    About the dialogue- I loved Jango Fett's dialogue, and I loved Mr. Morrison's acting. Boba was great too.

One of my favorite lines is where Jango says he is just a guy "trying to make his way in the universe". And "he doesnt take a hint, this guy!" was really cool.

16. JermaineRogers-com

May 16, 2002
    Ill go you one better:
    'I' dont prefer ANH to AOTC.

But I DO prefer ESB or JEDI.
    And NO I dont dig Ewoks...but the scenes between Luke, Vader and Palpy ALONE elevate that film.

17. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    With every post, you manage to propogate your website twice

18. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    I loved all three films you've mentioned -- Empire Strikes Back, Fellowship of the Ring and Attack of the Clones. I appreciate Empire more than Clones, but only because I feel the script was just a bit better than Clones [and I think Harrison Ford is astoundingly good at whatever he does]. But what AotC lacks in script it more than makes up for in visuals, artistic expression, mystery and interesting plot devices. Fellowship was just wonderful. Sir Ian was fantastic as Gandalf. The visuals were awe-inspiring. Ah, I love them all.

-Undomiel
    "I saw the little runt sitting there on a log
    I asked him his name and in a raspy voice he said "Yoda"
    Y O D A, Yoda
    Yo-yo-yo-yo Yoda" - Weird Al Yankovic, Dare to be Stupid

19. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Jermaine isn't it funny that the scene in Palpatines chamber in RotJ is the only scene in RotJ that Lucas directed? Interesting bit of info.

20. JermaineRogers-com

May 16, 2002
    SDJ, I didnt know that.
    VERY interesting.

Maybe he put MORE into that because that was really the coup de grace of the entire OT?

I mean, he also directed TPM.
    Go figure.

21. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    "I mean, he also directed TPM."

And he also directed ANH, which many find to be the 2nd best or even the best Star Wars film. What's the point? This is all subjectional. For some LOTR has more appeal than Star Wars. For others Star Wars has more appeal.

22. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    LOTR dragged. The Hobbits have NO USE whatsoever (at least in this film), and the only good thing Frodo is good for is getting stabbed by the bad guys. And JUST HOW MANY freakin' people need to tell the little punk that the ring he has is all-important (e.g. that Cate Blanchett scene was lame and unnecessary).

And the fact that guy who gets shot with the 3 arrows still manages to live long enough to give that stupid Hamlet-wannabe speech is enough to make me cringe. The acting may be clunky, but at least the people in AOTC die RIGHT AWAY.

Maybe that guy should've got beheaded instead of getting shot with the arrows [face_plain]

23. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    For me, Star Wars has more appeal, but I still agree that LOTR is better than AOTC. (Not Star Wars as a whole though) ;)

24. JermaineRogers-com

May 16, 2002
    I WILL say this...I had almost forgotten that there is one scene where I felt REAL foreboding...and it kinda gave me chills.

The scene where Obi Wan is in the 'diner', talking to the big guy with all the arms (is it Dexxter?) and the alien looks at Obi-Wan and says something like, 'They'll work for you depending on your manners and the size of your pocketbook', or something like that.
    It really made the Kaminoans seem VERY mysterious and kinda dangerous.That whole scene was VERY well done..and the CGI on that big alien/cook was award worthy.

25. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    Actually the Hobbits DID have a purpose. They were the only ones that could have the ring in their possession and not have it corrupt their minds almost instantly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.