ALMOST...But Just Not Good Enough...AND DONT GET MAD AT ME!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by JermaineRogers-com, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarJarIsBoba Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, Gandalf spinning for 2 seconds looked funny?

Unfortunately, it wasn't only 2 seconds.

I really think that FOTR was one of the best movies in 2001. But not the best. Or not as good as the gushers think. Or not as bad as the bashers think.

Same with AOTC. It's not the greatest movie this year. And it won't be. But it's not ALL bad.
  2. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    Gandalf "Dammit he's got me in that damned spin again. Oh how I hate being dizzy"
  3. AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Razorback-

See, that's nitpicking.

To bash Fellowship you have to dismiss the Oscars, IMDB, the box office, and the critics.

That's asinine.

And Good Will Hunting was the best original screenplay in 97. I don't even see how that's debatable, and the fact that you pick on their ages shows extreme immaturity on your part.
  4. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Do you even READ what I write?

I have been saying in multiple threads that I think LOTR is better than any of the Star Wars movies (I said it in this thread at least TWICE) and yet I am bashing the Oscars to prove that LOTR sucks?

HUH?

And you call me childish because I think Good Will Hunting did not deserve the Oscar?

Are you KIDDING ME?

RB
  5. AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Oh, and once again.........

Anakin riding the Shaak looked awful and fake.

I love AotC, but one nitpick deserves another.
  6. JarJarIsBoba Jedi Master

star 4
    AmadeusExmachina,

Calling other people's posts "asnine," "vitriolic" or "petty" will not help your argument or give you any more credibility.

Unfortunately, we have to live with other people's opinions whether we like it or not. You can second-guess motives but that would be futile.

Say your opinion and move on.

And, yes, I thought the Shaak-riding scene along with the rolling in the grass was unnecessary.
  7. AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Razorback, YOU read what I wrote.

I didn't say you were childish for not thinking Good Will deserved the Oscar.

I called you immature because your argument against it was "it's the oscars, not the HIGH SCHOOL oscars."

Picking on ages is immature, especially considering the quality of the work in question.

Thanks.
  8. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Dude... can you project into my writing even more? Please? I enjoy it so much.

Their ages? Damon was 27 or 28 at the time. Why would I care how old they were?

I was pointing out the level of writing with respect to their competition. You do not "give" someone an Oscar because the guys nominated are nice and cute and... golly.. such talented young men.

Please dispense with the attacks on maturity. It might work well on 12 year olds but I am 30... I could not care less about how much someone thinks of my maturity. ;)

RB
  9. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    What's your motivation RB?
  10. AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling

star 3
    So let's review....

You're saying Good Will Hunting was amateurishly written, yet you're defending the writing AotC.

Yea, I don't think MY credibility is really what's lacking in this argument.
  11. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought the Oscar for Matt and Ben was not much a "gift" but actually well-deserved. I'm not sure if you saw Good Will Hunting RB, but I found the scenes with speeches like "It's not yur fault.." very moving, and the other one where Matt Damon has a brilliant monologue where he goes off for 3 minutes, and I felt it was very well-written.
  12. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Good Will Humping is an excellent film, but I only watch it alone.
  13. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    It is pointless to discuss anything with you. All you do is project and then respond as if I said what you think I said.

Good Will Hunting was NOT worthy of the award, in my humble opinion. There was a writing team far more worthy of the award.

Mark Andrus and James L. Brooks. That was a superior script.

RB
  14. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    There are some moments that are pretty intense and almost provoke tears in Good Will Hunting, at least for me. I think that has to be worth something, to produce such a good script. If not an Oscar winner, don't you think it at least deserved its nomination?

Btw, here's the imdb.com link to some memorable quotes of Good Will Hunting. I'm getting a kick out of reading them again personally.

http://us.imdb.com/Quotes?0119217
  15. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I loved Good Will Hunting. In fact, I thought Ben Affleck was robbed of a best supporting actor nomination (he does get the best speech in the movie.. and delivers it beautifully). That does not mean it deserved to win for best original screenplay.

It won because the Oscars are a popularity contest in more ways than they are used to judge fairly.

RB
  16. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Wasn't this supposed to be a Star Wars forum? :)
  17. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Nono... the Star Wars forum is apparently at www.ebay.com.

This is the "Complain about everything" forum. Good luck. :)

RB
  18. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    Star whowhat? I really like the Green Goblin.
  19. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    :D LOL@RAZORBACK :D

If things are THIS negative after AOTC..... You can imagine what it was like after TPM ;)

Just to say, I loved AOTC, and I still love it! I'm going to see it again tonight, it will be my fourth time :)
  20. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I was here for TPM (under a different username mind you) and I left after a few weeks because the negativity was just idiotic. There were enough "George Lucas raped my childhood" posts to feed a hungry alligator. :)

I did not come back to the forums for about 18 months.

RB
  21. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    All this complaining about AOTC seems bizarre to me.........

I just can't see how ANY Star Wars couldn't enjoy AOTC at some level :(

Well, I guess for some people complaining is a way of life ;)
  22. Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Master

star 2
    Thing is, lotr takes itself so much more seriously than starwars. Thus you're bound to get filmmakers who'll tend to shoot it in a more serious style and who'll get a bunch of serious british actors who say serious dialogue about serious evil and the battles are really serious. And the movie is constantly beating you over the head with how serious it is that there really isn't a lot of time for anything that's not ? serious. I won't say it's pretentious, but it's close. In fact, I'm not really saying that that sort of thing is WRONG. It's just a different STYLE.

Star wars, on the other, hand is simply a different type of fantasy than LOTR. Star Wars is what would happen if you put The Wizard of Oz, LOTR, and 2001 in a blender. And I think it is the stronger for it.
    It's still a fairly serious story-line, but it is funneled through a universe that is REALLY REALLY fun. The shots are amazingly colorful and are filled with a myriad of wacky creatures or intensely imaginative landscapes and extremely visual costumes. The whole film is edited with an amazing agility and utilizes a large array of frame wipes. There is no way that lotr could get away with some of these shots. Star Wars utilizes them even in it's more serious scenes. One of the most breathtaking parts of AOTC for me was when Anakin goes Vader on the tusken's. It's edited so that the frame CIRCLES in on Anakin's face like it was the end of a merrie melodies cartoon and the camera pans over to this muppet that's meditating on a small stool. Simply amazing.

The characters in star wars are for the most part not trying so hard to be as deep as the characters in LOTR, though I would argue that they ARE as deep (despite themselves). They are literally not of this world therefore they are not as familiar as the characters in lotr are. Because of this the acting in starwars is also of a more whimsical nature and also MUCH harder to get right. Some of the lines due to the nature of the universe that starwars exists in ARE going to be tough to say. And the idea that some of the dialogue is bad, I would suggest is more than likely an indicator that the dialogue is just "not familiar" and when you take into consideration the hyper-reality of the starwars universe. How could they be?

lotr's scenes take place in many fantastical landscapes such as forests and bars and so the scenes in star wars. Except in a star wars forest the trees are Gigantic and filled and our heroes zip in and out between the tree trunks like flies through blades of grass riding flying motorcycles. And strange (yet cuddly) aliens live in a city they've built at the very tops of the trees. A LOTR forest is filled with elves who are human-esque in appearance and like to build gazebos. I'm not sure I even need to go into how a star wars bar is different. And still, those examples above are about the closest starwars comes to resembling our world. Most of starwars planets are commonplace pieces of our familiar world that have been warped into something bizarre and alien. This is why vistas in lotr look so real in comparison to starwars. They ARE real.

Not only that but these out of this world characters fly to and fro from these fantastic landscapes in this brilliant vision of space that George Lucas has. They ride around in these spectacular vehicles that somehow seem to both comment on and expand the characters of their passengers. In fact one of the things I like most about TESB is that the heroes' spaceships helped personify and define them. Just like a costume or make-up would. I mean look at Luke's x-wing than compare it to Vader's Super Star Destroyer and compare it to The Millenium Falcoln and compare that to Slave 1. It adds a completely new dimension to the movie. And I see that pattern being repeated here in AOTC with Amidala's chrome spaceships, Obi-Wan's Jedi fighter, Slave 1(again) and Count Dooku's solar sailor. All of those designs also comment on the characters piloting them. There hasn't been as many space battles in the prequels, but that also is of great value in lucas's vi
  23. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Which is why I think comparing the two is really pointless.

And my original point to the original poster of this thread is that you are really cheating yourself out of a Star Wars experience if you begin to wish it had LOTR elements.. and vice versa. I don't see why one cannot enjoy both (unless of course one movie is just too far removed from your likes).

I am glad that I have been able to anjoy most of the recent fantasy type movies (and interestingly enough it is not even my favorite genre).

RB
  24. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    As to why I criticize, I like to think of it as tough love. ;) Sort of like the Obi-Wan and Anakin relationship imo. I criticize because I want the best for it.
  25. Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Master

star 2
    I don't really see the point in comparing the two, but it just bugs me when people don't automatically declare the starwars movies the best ever. And then I just can't resist. ;-)

Obviously both LOTR and AOTC are very good and kick the snot right out of Citizen Kane.

-JWAC
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.