main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ALMOST...But Just Not Good Enough...AND DONT GET MAD AT ME!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by JermaineRogers-com, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarJarIsBoba

JarJarIsBoba Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    Citizen Kane is a pretty good movie. But it DOES have its moments of cheesy dialogue and performances.

2. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    People actually think that AOTC is a better movie than LOTR?

Is this a world I want to live in?

3. LORD_MARVEL

LORD_MARVEL Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Yes there are people that think AOTC is better that Lord of the BORING. I saw that other flick once and will not see it again unless my GF forces me to and of course I'll expect something in return for said torture. I actually find the subject matter in LOTB not to my liking. Sorry but that's the way it is. When I left the theater I felt no since of excitement or awe...or my butt for that matter. I'd take any SW movie over LOTB 100% of the time. If I don't see it again that works for me. I'm just not into that sort of fiction.

I'd rather die than have to watch Lord of the Boring ever again......GUY. After August whatever day it is you can get your jollies watching that 'superior' movie and leave us alone.

OUT.

4. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    Yeah, well, some people just don't appreciate a good movie when they see one. That is all.

5. LORD_MARVEL

Apr 15, 2002
    Define IRONY!!!!!

6. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    i·ro·ny Pronunciation Key (r-n, r-)
    n. pl. i·ro·nies

The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
    An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
    A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.

Were you intending to have a point? Dude, I think you miss the fact that I really liked AOTC. There is just no way in hell that AOTC was better than LOTR. Simple.

7. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I know a lot of people who thought AotC was better than 'Bored of the Rings'. My little bro is a LOTR afficionado as far as the books are concerned, but he was very dissapointed in the movie. And was blown away by Clones.

I'm of the opinion that although FotR is probably a better movie, AotC has better moments of sheer cinema and is alot more fun.

8. LORD_MARVEL

Apr 15, 2002
    From your point of veiw perhaps. But I feel the exact opposite that you do except I don't like LOTB at all. I'm not gonna hate on it. I'll just say it ain't my cup 'o tea. But I shouldn't have to die....should I? Heck I enjoyed Judge Dredd more tha LOTB but don't tell anyone I said that I actually enjoyed that ball of cheese. I have a different opinion, plain and simple. I shall not engage in any sort of conflict cause it's not needed. You trying to convince me about LOTB is like trying to explain to me how the university of florida is so much better than Florida St. which could never ever ever be true! fu gadrs suck! Sorry i for a second I thought I was in a football forum.

OUT.

9. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    My 'Die' in signature does not actually mean that I wish all of you to cease all life-sustaining bodily functions - merely that I wish all of you would sustain minor but painful injuries.

10. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    "People actually think that AOTC is a better movie than LOTR?

Is this a world I want to live in?"

jediguy

first everybody is entitled to their own opinion, so if some people liked AOTC more than LOTR well that's their perogative

Second, you really shouldn't make such over-the-top statements. It makes people have less respect for you.
    To put it simply both are just good movies, if your going to take it seriously enough to question your existence on this planet. Then well you have some serious problems.

11. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Each is worth appreciating and priorities differ. For example. I went to Celeb II with a friend 18 years younger than myself. After, she said, this event and the whole SW world meant so much to her growing up that she didn't mind standing in line all day for autographs. She asked me if I felt the same way. I said no. However, I told her that if JRR Tolkien had been alive, I'd have stood in line all 3 days just to look in his eyes. But I love SW. So I guess it all depends on what priorities you allocate your time and energy towards. To each his own!!

12. topgoalscorer_no11

Jul 23, 2001
    Why?

What's you're problem, Guy?

Like I said, I *think* LotR is a better movie, but I'm not sad enough to wish injury to people who disagree with me.

I can imagine that to kids, LotR is yawn-inducing in the extreme. It's great for me because I love the books.

I think AotC is maybe more accessible and fun.

13. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    MINI_YODA: Perhaps you may think that statement to be over the top, but that's what I tend to say when I'm frustrated and passionate about something. Oh, and I tend to joke a lot, so that thing about 'not worth living' was probably made in jest.

topgoalscorer_no11: Sense of humour. You also need one.

14. topgoalscorer_no11

Jul 23, 2001
    I was only teasing. ;)

Good Joke.

15. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Jediguy,

Well in that case I can at least respect your passion. So don't 'leave the world' ;)
    We can always use people who actually care about things instead of being totally apathetic.

Anyways both are good movies that at least give us something for our ever-shrinking entertainment dollar.

BTW since both DVDs are supposedly coming ot at the end of this year, better start saving your pennies

16. JermaineRogers-com

JermaineRogers-com Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    I understand most of you guys opinions. I still stand by my original post which started this thread, though.
    Its great to have differing POV's. Really, it is.
    In my opinion, it's like if there were 2 women who were sick and needed to go to the hospital. Theyre both begging you to take them right away. One woman is a stranger. She's being very polite and begging you very nicely to please take her to a hospital...she needs help.
    The other woman is your Mother. Maybe shes screaming at you...in that real 'on your back' way Mothers can sometimes scream. 'I dont care what youve got to do!! DOnt you understand?!!! I need to go to the doctor!!!'

Now, if youve only got time and space to take one person, who is it likely going to be? Despite all of her screaming at you, and rudeness...youll probably take your Mommy...because there is an EMOTIONAL ATTATCHMENT there. Yes, even though the stranger asked you more nicely...was very much more polite, you'll OVERLOOK your Mom's deficiencies because youve got that attatchment...that 'past history'. SHe's 'mom' and no one else comes first.

In that long, drawn out analogy...I think LOTR is that stranger and AOTC/Star Wars is the 'Mother' to most of you. EVen though LOTR was better filmed, scripted, presented, acted, etc., you'll overlook OBVIOUS shortcomings to stand in the corner of ANT Star Wars film...because youve got that attatchment. Its what youve grown up with. For many, it INTRODUCED you to having a love for movies. Its 'mommy'...and you wont EVER choose anything else over it.
    Is that a GOOD thing or a BAD thing?
    I dont know. Truth be told, Im sort of the same way. Thats why its somewhat weird for me to realize that, to me, LOTR was vastly superior.

I mean...its like Im looking at those 2 ladies that are begging me to take them to the hospital...One of them's my Mom...and the other is J-Lo...

17. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    Every single person I have talked to thinks that AOTC made LOTR look like a piece of trash. LOTR may have had a few neat parts but AOTC was made out of neat parts the whole way through.

Anyone could have acted in LOTR. The acting isn't good, it is just a bunch of people talking either with an accent or just a flat tone. In movies like AOTC the actors had to express emotion every time they said a line. LOTR had no emotion what-sp-ever.

18. JermaineRogers-com

May 16, 2002
    "In movies like AOTC the actors had to express emotion every time they said a line."

Then, why didnt they?

19. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    They mo-certainly did too.

20. DarthMalifluous

DarthMalifluous Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2002
    I think that POTAStar hit on something here. "AotC is made up of lots of neat little parts". And on that I'll not disagree. However, that's also one of the main problems with the movie. I'll be most proud to display those certain neat little parts on my HT system for the inlaws/friends... But as a whole, the movie has far too many flaws to make it a great film. It's okay IMO. A film student could do better simply because almost all of the action is directed by a SFX Director @ ILM, not George. He's got a say for sure, but most of the time, he has know idea how a shot will turn out (anyone listen to the commentary on TPM DVD?) I was amazed when I heard this. So the crappy directing cannot be soley attributed to GL.

I'll continue to say it. After 5 episodes, why doesn't GL have the Star Wars universe down COLD? The man has a great imagination (no denying that), and unlimited resources as far as movie-making goes. The PT is a great story, with much more nuance and shading than anything in the OT. However, he appears to be squandering this opportunity to make some truely great films, and instead is completely satisfied (maybe not completely) to just have them as mediocre summer popcorn flicks. Now, there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but the Star Wars universe has boundless potential, why waste any of it? A good example (at least for me) is Doug Chaing. Go to his website. The stuff on that website is fantastic. The designs are truely "out of this world". So why does Star Wars PT feel so mono-syllabic. Sure we've got a Solar Sail starship, but that was already done on Star Trek.

21. General_C-3PO

General_C-3PO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    SW story,I mean entire saga story is much more interesting and better story than LOTR triology.It is morre complicated and much better story in terms of story telling.ALso Anakin character is morre interesting than Frodo because Frodo is the same character through entire story.He is just ordinary mythological hero.Anakin is more complicated and much morre interesting character.BUT there is one big BUT .Problem is that Lucas doesn't want longer movies so he puts too much stuff in his movie and simply some thingss are left not enough developed.If AOTC was 15 mins longer FOTR would be nowhere near AOTC in terms of plot and main character(Anakin-Frodo).

Also I think that AOTC is much more epic movie than FOTR.Look at the Genosis battle and end of the movie and you willsee that therre is no competition.FOTR is nowhere near.The only mistake in AOTC is that Lucas didn't take 15 more mins and spend them on more character developing.

22. JermaineRogers-com

May 16, 2002
    "The only mistake in AOTC is that Lucas didn't take 15 more mins and spend them on more character developing. "

LOL...dude, thats a PRETTY big 'mistake'. An entire movie is WON or LOST on that.
    Trumpeting 'special effects' these days...it just doesnt cut it with me. 'Starship Troopers' won awards in SFX.
    It was a horrible movie.
    If I cant get 'up close and personal' with the charcters, then I have no 'attatchment' to them. THATS the magic of the OT...NOT the SFX. Star Wars IS a grand story...perhaps the greatest modern tale EVER told...Im not disputing that. Its how that story is being TOLD that frustrates me.

23. kelgryn

kelgryn Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2001
    I have a feeling that younger audiences prefer AOTC while older audiences prefer LOTR. Personally, I felt that FOTR was the best film experience that I have had since Empire Strikes Back. AOTC, as well as TPM, I was disappointed in. The writing and acting (except for Chris Lee and Macgregor) were horrid, in my opinion. FOTR, on the other hand, had excellent acting, across the board. It was truelly an epic, yet personally involving film. As far as AOTC being more "epic"..that is probably true, but I saw the preview of the Two Towers in the theater, and that redefined "epic" for me. The battles are going to be absolutely insane in that film.
    I am not here to completely bash AOTC however, I felt that it started to feel like a Star Wars film in the last 30 minutes. The clones added a lot to it. Its nice to see a battle that involves white, armor clad humans...and not gungans or friggin droids. A battle scene with a droid army has the emotional involvement of taking on a parking lot filled with cars.

24. Celestial

Celestial Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    AOTC is definately better than LOTR. AOTC is the perfect saturday morning serial- from the corny title, to the stiff dialogue and acting all the way down to the flashy eyecandy scenes and cool characters. LOTR was destined to fail because there was no way Peter could replicate the books. He did a very good job though, but for me it was not the same as the books.

In short, LOTR is a transfer from media that was nicely done but just can't compare to the books while AOTC is everything it's supposed to be (IF you like that sort of thing which I do).

25. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    (no message)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.