main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Almost The Exact Same Picture (JA and TPM)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Padawan_Jess_Kenobi, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Okay, I was going to put this in the TPM forum, but I wasn't sure, so I put this here instead. Mods, if this doesn't belong here, I will gladly move it to where you instruct. ;)

Anyways, has anyone ever noticed that the shot of Qui-Gon and Maul fighting on Tatooine was almost the same on the cover on the Jedi Apprentice: The Dark Rival book? Well, actually, on Qui-Gon is almost identical on both. Here is the proof:

TPM shot of them fighting in the desert: [image=http://www.maarasuniverse.com/EP1/Duel.jpg]

The Dark Rival (JA)cover:
    [image=http://www.heartstars.net/sw/ja02.jpg]

You may have to look a little closely at the JA one, but Qui-Gon is almost exactly the same in both pictures! Nevermind the lighting, because I know they are different. Anyone have some explanation to this? :D

2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I never noticed that one!,but I noticed on the cover of JA 14 that the pic of the jedi council room was from TPM,they just replaced anakin with obi-wan and qui-gon :D

3. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I've always known that. Since I first got the book I knew that.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The book cover artist probably used that Qui-Gon pic as the source image.

Happens sometimes with SW books. Here's one more. Check out the cover of "Cloak of Deception" and you'll see a Qui-Gon pic we've all seen eight billion times.
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/cloak-of-deception.jpg]

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Anyone have some explanation to this?

Most likely the author couldn't get a photo shoot with Liam Neeson or a quality personal image wasn't available, so a "cut and paste" of the aformentioned shot was used. ;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

6. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    That sort of thing is fairly common on book and comic covers. The artist saves on time and effort by simply copying the desired elements from film stills or other media. Sometimes there's some slight modification, but not always. There's a particular image of the Millennium Falcon that's been used countless times before on covers, posters, packaging, etc.

7. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Oh, ok! :D Thanks guys, for answering that. I never knew that they did that. I'd lock this now, but I've lost editing power. 8-} So all powerful mods, go ahead and lock this if you wish.

Thanks again to everyone who answered my question! :)

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    On a side note, how many EU paperbacks d'ya think there are with the exact same image of Threepio/Artoo on the spine?

Rick McCallum loves you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.