main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Along the Path of the Beam: Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by RolandofGilead, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Well I must say it will be very neat to go back all that about his past in these comics!

Cuthbert is my fav Gunslinger of all time and if we get to see Jericho Hill then that pic in which ever book it is with Roland holding him will be that much more powerful for me.

RoG: How many times do you supect that Roland has undergone this journey?

2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    The books seem to hint that he's been doing this for centuries, but who knows?

I am really looking forward to the Comic. There was a point where King was thinking of going back and re-writing the other DT books the way he did the Gunslinger so that they would flow better and even considering a DT Prequel, but that's all been dropped now. It seems the only way we'll learn more about the Gunslinger is viw this new comic series.

Then again, he was unable to keep the Tower out of his last book Cell. It may be that it will continue to pop up again and again in all his material because he simply can't help himself.

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I saw that on wiki---he's inserted Dark Tower references in his unrelated books. I had planned on doing similar myself. Parallel thinking! . . . So you're saying after all those books, Roland is so little known that even his age or duration of travels isn't told?

4. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Well in the later books he claims to have been on the trail of the man in black for 1,000 years. The problem with pining down an actual timeline is within the story itself. Keep in mind that time speeds up and slows down and moves differently in different places as Roland's world winds down and the Tower sickens.

5. Jedi_Mark

Jedi_Mark Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 11, 2004
    I love these books.
    I do have to admit that Wizard and Glass soured me as the backstory stuff just didnt do it for me. And the archs of Mordred and The Crimson King were poorly done.
    However the last half of "Song..." was maybe the best writing King has ever done. The whole birthing section was eerie and exhilirating as hell!
    Ultimately I loved it!

6. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I do so wish that Jack Sawyer could have played a role in DT. Since his journey is not done though maybe if we get a Talisman 3 we can see him and Speedy doing something with the tower parrellaing Roland and the gangs time without crossing each other?

Thoughts on that?

7. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I was really disappointed that Jack Sawyer didn't appear anywhere in the last legs of the Dark Tower. Especially after Parkus all but guaranteed that his role was not over. I guess King decided to save all that for the third Talisman book.

I do have to admit that I loved Patrick Danville's role in the story. I was never that sure of Insomnia, but his actions made it all prove worthwhile.

8. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Insomnia is my fay King book.

Damn I love that story.

9. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I've only just started reading the books this holiday. I picked up the first three at the airport and right now I'm about half way through The Waste Lands. Enjoyable so far, but that's all. There've been some great moments.

10. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've got the first four books but have only read the first three, and I love them. I need to get the rest but for some reason I can never find book four when I can actually get it.

Turning it into a comic could be good. You'd need a really good artist to do it justice. I'd certainly be interested in buy the first few comics to see what it's like.

As for a film, I'm not too sure. I've had thoughts about this and to me it'd be like the Lord of the Rings, there's so much in each book that it'd be hard to fit it into a film unless it was a really long film. I've seen too many film adaptations of books I love, The Eagle Has Landed was bad, so I'd be wary. Who would play Roland? And would they be able to find any guns that are big enough?

A book 2/3 spoiler question: at the end of book 2 when Roland returns through the third door he comes back with the ammunition and two police belts with the police guns, iirc. In the third book there is no mention of them. What happened to them? It says he thought they were like toys, so did he ditch them? Am I mistaken?

11. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Moose:It's been a while since I read Drawing, but I presume that the police guns didn't survive the trip. There's a similar occurence in a later book, but I'll not spoil it for you. :)

12. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    Currently I'm finishing up Wizard and Glass and am immensly enjoying it. I'm really liking these journeys into Roland's past because it really fleshes out his character and makes him seem very real. It certainly wouldn't be the same if we met Roland in the desert and he goes about without any supporting backstory. I have to say that my favorite backstory character so far is Steven Deschain, followed by Cuthbert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.