main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alot of Mac laptops are having their batteries removed

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by BruceM, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    And also remember that Vista's Gadgets are completely different than Mac OS' Widgets, so figure out which you want and go with that OS.

2. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Ok. It's only the iBook G4 12 inch and the Powerbook G4 12 and 15 inch ones that have the problems. Fortunately for me, I got the iBook G4 14 inch, so I don't have that problem. This thing sure does get hot, though.

What amuses me the most about the people who hate Macs is that they refer back to the PO* systems their schools bought at a discount a decade or so ago. I used to be in the same boat as them. But after all the video editing and such I've been able to do on a Mac, what with FCP, DVDSP, Combustion, etc, I've got nearly everything I need to do my fanfilm on this little guy.

3. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    Yeah, I'll admit I was even a Mac hater clear up into high school. 9th grade is at our Jr. High, and we had the old iMac G3's everywhere (the pretty colored, clear ones). I hated every aspect of them (including that stupid circular mouse). Now, I own an iMac G5 (the all-in-the-flat-panel one for you less Apple-knowledgable people) and I love everything about it, except the mighty mouse. Hm, mice aren't your thing Apple. Quit trying. One button is not elegant.

The way I view the situation depends on what you want to do primarily...

General Use (email, web browsing, maybe some small web design for family stuff, basic photo and video editing) - Mac, namely iLife '06.

Gaming - PC, probably something badass like Alienware:cool:

Video/Film Production - Mac, Final Cut Studio. Sure, you've got Adobe Creative Suite on PC, but it's just not the same to me...

VFX - Mac. You've got Shake, and you can boot Windows and Linux on them if you need a non-Mac app. At the moment, it's not perfect, but it'll just be a matter of time before the Mac Pro can beat a Dell workstation at its own game as well as its price.

4. rickraptor

rickraptor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2006
    I got a double button mouse, and got never used to it. Perhaps it's my simple mind, but I can do what I need with one button, who knows, it's just me.

And about what you say, yeah, I think Gaming is waaaaaay better than PC. I seem unable to find any Mac videogame outside the internet but the Teletubbies enciclopedy for kids....
    I have not really tried video on a PC (I'm new to video, have been doing it only eight months), but pictures (Photoshop and such) I like it better when I work on a Mac than a PC... Dunno why, perhaps I'm only too used to work with Macs...

5. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    You can actually find a good amount of decent titles out there for Mac (IMO), but they're more expensive. Like, I'm not paying $50 so I can play The Sims 2 again on my Mac. I'll wait until I get a MacTel, thank you very much. The only other game I play frequently, Warcraft III, includes the PC and Mac installer on the same disc, so that rules.

*Looks at link* My God! They *DO* have Age of Empires II for Mac!

6. rickraptor

Jun 13, 2006
    Well, on the internet yeah, you can find them in Amazon. It's true you have to pay a lot for games (and sometimes software). Anyway, I don't find 50 bucks very expensive. Actually, the games here (Playstation and PC, both) are (average) 65 bucks (62 ?), which is crazy, they were half of that price a few years ago...

Age of Empires II? Ain't it a bit out-dated today? Although I liked it a lot.

7. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    Yeah, Sim Tower is pretty out-dated too but I still enjoy playing it under Classic. Just because games are old, doesn't mean we all have to stop liking them (Lemmings, Warcraft I anyone?).

Anywho, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, whoever doesn't send their battery in and are the first to have their laptop blow up on a plane, will be hunted down and killed in some extremely slow and painful manner in which I have not thought up yet.

8. DetFilms

DetFilms Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005

9. rickraptor

Jun 13, 2006

10. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    Well of course, that was the whole idea behind the Mighty Mouse. It's just annoying that's all. You have to lift your index finger to get it to register as a right click, and after a couple months of use, the side squeeze feature started spazzing out on me. Also, pushing the scroll ball doesn't register as a middle mouse click in something like Shake. All around, after using it for a while, I grew to dislike it quite a bit, and now love my Logitech LX7 to death. Going on 7 months and still haven't had to change the batteries :D More than the new wireless Mighty Mouse can probably say ;)

That's the only Apple product I've disliked since I became a regular customer though, so that says something good I guess.

11. DetFilms

DetFilms Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005

I wonder, what's the problem with the single buttoned mouse? :confused:

I've tried it. Don't find any advantages myself.[/quote]

Luddite. o_O

Just because Steve Jobs refuses to admit that Bill Gates might have had one good idea in his life is no reason to limit yourself. Until you have edited on a Powerbook in a Laz-E-Boy recliner with an Armchair Mousepad and a two-button mouse and a cool drink, you have not truly lived.

And no, a one-button mouse will not work. You want to apply a screen transparency or a speed adjustment to a clip, you need that right button, because A) you are reclining and the keyboard is too far away to reach the Cntl key comfortably and B) your left hand is already holding an iced beverage, as noted before.

Now if you'll excuse me, I had to sit up straight and put down my soda just to type this. I'm going back to work now. [face_mischief]

12. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    Aw man, I was just gonna say "sig'd," but it was too long :_|

In which case, a [face_laugh] will have to suffice.

13. XPOC

XPOC Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2006

If you were talking about my post, I am acctually refering to mac's I used at school 3 years ago. "Discount rate"...hardly, I went to the highest funded school in my area.

Im not saying that windows are better than apple. All im saying is I cant see what the massive appeal is.

For example all this crap about "images looking better on a mac"...Photoshop is the same program on any format..you people realise this I assume!

XPOC.

By the way, to answer someones question about my ipods breaking

ipod 1. battery life of 1 hour or so.

ipod 2. Wont connect to my PC (and before anyone makes a joke...yes I have tried connecting it to a mac lol).

14. rickraptor

Jun 13, 2006

Well, there I'm gonna agree with you! My I pod batts last more than an hour, but less than "normal" batts. It's what bothers me on the I pod.
    But By breaking I thought you talked about malfunction on the ipod itself (music not playing, videos not showing, etc). Thanks for clearing up :)

And about the mouse thing, I tried the double button, and didn't catch up the trick. You can make an old dog learn new tricks... (by old I mean in single button use, which has been my whole life)

15. Darth_Abdax

Darth_Abdax Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Mac users are like Vegitarians.

16. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    And what do you have to say about Mac users who also use PCs? Not just Windows, but Linux as well?

17. Darth_Tyrev

Darth_Tyrev Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2006
    Can't anyone spell a lot correctly?

18. Kaurotu

Kaurotu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2006
    Personally I dislike Mac with a passion. But I guess it all depends on what you are doing. If you're the basic computer user and just need it for email or video editing, then by all means yes get a Mac. Windows will probably end up confusing you. Now if you're the advanced computer user such as a computer geek or MS-DOS master, get Windows. Or if your the programmer then download a distro of Linux or UNIX and boot up the ol' ISO image. Again, it just all depends on what your needs are. For me, I do a lot of programming, so I use Windows and Linux.

I just wouldn't "recommend" a Mac to someone. But that's just me speaking....

19. Darth_Abdax

Darth_Abdax Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 12, 2005
    That was a joke. Personally I use all OS's for when I need them. I was reffering to the ones who worship Jobs.

20. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    *Puts away Steve Jobs bobble head and Apple candle*

21. The_Choson_1

The_Choson_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2005
    *crumples up Mac OS 4.3 poster*

22. madhorizons

madhorizons Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2006
    I do command line more than not via OS X. Darwin is essentially BSD (yes, it has its nuances, but so does Gentoo, Slackware, etc). The fink installs use Debian's apt-get. I compile via GCC & tarballs on a regular basis (i do this on all Unix/Linux, i just like the "compiled for system" end result of using tarballs). In the end, it will always boil down to personal preference. **MY** personal preferences are:

Gaming - PCs period
    Video/Audio/General Use - my Dual G5 Powermac
    Office Stuff - PC or Mac, no preference
    Office Stuff in a Windows server environment - PC (XP Pro)
    Server - Hardware dependant. PC Hardware - Linux, Apple Hardware - Darwin or YellowDog Linux (darwin preferred, no reformatting for OS), SPARC - Solaris
    PHP/MySQL development - UNIX, Linux, Darwin = tied

23. Kaurotu

Kaurotu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2006
    Again this is a topic of a opinion. It's very hard to "voice" your opinion unless you are face-to-face with a person. This just boils down to whatever you prefer. All I have to say is, thank God it's a free country so you CAN choose.

24. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Its not just Mac laptops, but PC also.

On a side note, stop bickering about mac vs. pc

You wont change anyones mind trust me. Just pick one and go for it, there are ups and downs to both. I am an avid PC user, but do respect Mac and their users, I used to bash them all the time but I was able to come to a truce. I really like mac's laptops over Windows laptops. However when it comes to desktop computers I would rather have a PC for software compatibility, and more customization possibilities (PC is generally more bang for your buck as well)

ANYWAY, I dont think its that serious of an issue, its not like every battery is EXPLODING, only a very very very small percentage, so it might not be worth the hastle.

25. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Side-note:

You may have noticed that the newest version of premiere does not and will not support/run on a mac. It is likley that the same will happen with Adobe After Effects in its next release. They did this to battle the Final Cut Pro market, and really Premiere has been copied by FCP more than premiere copies from FCP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.