main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Omaha, NE Alpha Con No More!!!!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by paperclipx, May 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paperclipx

paperclipx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2001
    The word on the street is Alpha Con has been scrapped and will not happen again! We need to let the powers that be know that it was a great con and they are making a big mistake!

2. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    kristine.gerber@owh.com

That is where you need to send emails regarding the decision to cancel Alpha Con. She is the one who made the decision. I have already sent the Omaha Fan Forces offical mail to her, expressing our dismay over the decision. A copy will be sent to all memebers. Email alpha con, too.

info@alphaconcentral.com

Let them know there you would support another alpha con, and let them know how much you enjoyed this one. Together, we can make this happen!

3. TheStarKiller

TheStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Just a note that the AlphaCon website will be shut down on Monday, by order of the WONDERFUL Kristine Gerber. You know her by her official title, "SHE WHO DESTROYED ALPHA CON!".

I still urge all of you to send in your thoughts and encouragement to Dan, the con promoter at djlldl@aol.com. I spoke with him tonight and it seems that with enough coaxing...and the right investors...we can keep this thing alive. But it will need

FAN SUPPORT!!!!

So, if you have any questions or just want to email encouragement, djlldl@aol.com OR annikin_starkiller@aintitcoolmail.com.

Thanks!

-- Rusty aka TheStarKiller

4. LuneKell

LuneKell Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    Greetings, all!

Now -- everybody take a deep breath, count to ten and relax. Okay? Are we all now feeling a tad bit less hyper? If not, repeat the above sequence until we all do.

Now that we're all feeling better, let's look at this thing rationally. First off, realize that we are dealing with the Wierd Herald. Science fiction and media SF are completely outside the Wierd Herald's purview. The Wierd Herald knows from Knights of Aksarben -- not Jedi Knights. The Wierd Herald is a monopoly, and the only thing it truly understands is stripmining for money. They haven't had to actually think about their customers' wants and needs since they bought out every other newspaper in Omaha. Of course it pulled the plug the second it appeared AlphaCon wasn't a license to print money. I'm just surprised it agreed to be a part of AlphaCon in the first place.

The big problem with a con -- any con -- is front money. I'm sure the Civic Auditorium demanded it's share up front. Plus Alpha con had to pay for the guests' airline tickets in advance, plus a lot of other expenses connected to the guerts. I don't know what the total bill was, but it wasn't cheap. The object of a con is to pay back the people who put up the front money and also (if they're really lucky) come up with some seed money for next year's event. Eventually, hopefully, the event becomes self-supporting. but it's getting that front money that's the hard part.

The next meeting of the Omaha Fan Force is next Saturday evening. I suggest that part of the agenda -- after electing Bob city representative<G> -- be devoted to assessing assets and working out a coherent plan of action. So put on your thinking caps, and come up with workable ideas. Complaining about the Wierd Herald isn't going to get AlphaCon II off the ground.

Kate

5. TheStarKiller

Dec 4, 2000
    Standing as close as I am to this situation (meaning Alpha Con), I would very much like to attend this Omaha Fan Force meeting for Saturday.

Where is it? What time?

Also, how big of a following has the Omaha Fan Force gathered thusfar? The reason I ask is that I was thinking of inviting Dan to come along to one of these meetings to hear what everyone thinks about the future of AlphaCon (now to be known as Alpha/Omega Con since Midlands Marketing owns the name Alpha Con). This week he is puting out feelers to potential investors and that will be the first step in getting this thing off the ground. I think that if there is enough positive feedback from the Star Wars fans right here in Omaha, it will be one more brick in the foundation that we are building towards Alpha/Omega Con 2002.

Thanks for any info.

P.S. -- My bashing of Ms. Gerber and the OWH goes much deeper than the simple cancelling of any future Alpha Con's. Dan is one of my best friends and to see him get fired after one attempt at AC has been nothing short of TRAGIC. Kristine Gerber hindered Dan's progress from day one by not informing him of some of the finite details that would have saved Midlands Marketing and Alpha Con in general TONS of money. If the events of Alpha Con are traced back to day one, up to now, it is clear that she NEVER intended this to be a success. And yet she stood there up on the 19th floor of the Double Tree at the Lied Reception and acted like she was such a firm supporter of an event that she wanted shut down before it even began. And to be clear, it is Midlands Marketing and Kristine Gerber that I take issue with. OWH, while in my opinion being a worthless rag of a litterbox filler, is but a background character in this whole situation. And trust me...Alpha/Omega Con is the primary focus of all of us. These words that I write here are but a venting of my feelings, and support of a man who did everything he could to bring a kick-ass Star Wars Celebration right here to Omaha, NE. While I may strike out at Ms. Gerber and "her" company, I strike with the level of POSITIVE energy during every conversation with Dan on how Alpha/Omega Con 2002 is going to become a reality.

End of rant.......For now.

6. TheStarKiller

Dec 4, 2000
    I see now that the meeting is on Saturday at the Mystery Book Store. But what time?

7. UncleOwen1138

UncleOwen1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2001
    6:00 pm. See you there!

-Bob

8. LuneKell

LuneKell Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    StarKiller: This Gerber person may have made it her life's work to stab Dan and AlphaCon in the back, but I still firmly believe that it was with the tacit approval and encouragement of the Wierd Herald. I kind of skipped over it simply because I'm so used to it, but the Wierd Herald's major story on AlphaCon was very negative. They badly maligned the British Guests of honor as talent-less has-beens and said that the fen were all a bunch of losers living in their parents basements. Any one who might have had some interest in the con was basically warned away.

Yes, the next meeting of the Omaha Fanforce is at 6:00PM, Saturday May 19 at the Mystery Bookstore, 1422 So. 13th St. I'm three doors south of the Bohemian Cafe on the same side of the street. The cross streets are 13th and Williams. If you are coming by Interstate, take the 13the Street exit (from council Bluffs) or the 13th Street North exit (if you're coming from west Omaha) and go north about thirteen blocks or so.

Kate

9. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    We have close to 100 members on our list, so we'll have to see how many make the meeting. If Dan is interested in coming we'd love to have him. Everyone I've talked to is willing to help out Alpha/Omega Con.

10. That awful vracer

That awful vracer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2000
    Well, I think the biggest problem was piss poor advertising. I saw only 2 commercials. The first was the horrible one with the 2 non-descript teenagers with going: "I'm going to Alphacon, how about you!!". Shyeah, I'm sure that one set Omaha on fire! [face_plain] The second was, ....well plain, and I only saw it on the sci-fi channel. And the only other advertising I saw was a tiny ad in the paper.

They were trying to be too auidience specific. They needed to go after the Star Wars fan that doesn't consider themselves to be fanboys. I know people who had no idea the con was even happening. They need to have slick radio ads. The only mention I heard on the radio was on the Todd and Tyler show. And even then, they made sarcastic 30 year old virgins in Mom's basement cracks. Most people in the midwest have never been to a convention like this. They need to highlight what goes on. Things like all the panels, and the stories that the celebs told, all the tables that had stuff for sale, etc etc.

If I come up with anything more to say, I'll bring it up saturday.

11. banthagrl

banthagrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2001
    I agree AlphaCon could have been advertised better - radio ads would have been a BIG plus. But I don't agree that the World-Herald intentionally tried to kill it. There were ads of all sizes in the paper every day for almost three weeks, and I didn't find the main story that ran on the Friday of the con at all derogatory - I thought it was well balanced (though obviously not written by a real fan) and it had some eye-catching art of Chewbacca.
    Also, I work for the World-Herald, and it was talked up internally, with big posters in the break rooms, and two big stories in the monthly in-house newsletters. I think everyone involved (except maybe Gerber) wanted it to be a success.

12. TheStarKiller

Dec 4, 2000
    As far as advertising goes...

I will have to get the exact numbers from Dan, but I believe the TV spot (not that one that the Millard West kids made, but the other one) ran over 2000 times on many different COX channels. On the radio side, it is a widely known fact that if you don't $$PAY$$ Todd and Tyler, they will slam you. Dan called them up and offered that whole show VIP passes as nothing more than a kind gesture and was met with a request for $2000 for any mention of any kind. At that point, we had been overextended by the likes of Mr. Anthony Daniels and his LIST of additional expenses. I will be happy to talk at length about all of this at the meeting this Saturday. You will find that I enjoy debate. And this is the time that we need any and all input.

Also, Lune, I am interested to know if your tune has at all changed since you posted this...

"Frankly, so far, AlphaCon sounds like nothing more than another Creationcon type thing -- a procon organized for the sole purpose of gouging money from the fen. Where are the fan organized events? What do the fen get to do besides shell out their money, then sit there while pro-pablum is shoveled down their throats. "

Did we shovel anything down anyone's throat? I am glad that I will get a chance to meet with you to discuss your opinions of our convention.

And as far as Fan Organized events, if anyone has $37,000 (Anthony Daniels' fee for appearing at AC) lying around, please bring your checkbook with you to the meeting. We need your support! ;-)

Peace and Love!

13. That awful vracer

That awful vracer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2000
    Odd. I watch a lot of tv, and I only saw it on the Sci-fi channel, and UPN, during Voyager. I admit that i know nothing of advertising, or radio, or T-N-T, but I can't shake the feeling that they only went after the "fanboy" market.

14. LuneKell

LuneKell Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    Starkiller:

Have I changed my opinion? Yes and no.

Let's start off by explaining my idea of a convention. I've only been to MediaWestCon twice, but this is the con that is my benchmark for con going. First off -- there is nothing professional involved -- no professional guests of honor, no professional dealers, no professional anything. It is 100% fan run and fan participated. There is an art room where fan artists display and sell their work. There is a dealer room where fans run each and every table. The items for sale average about 50% zines, and 50% books, tee shirts, and collectables. And before you say: Ah-haa! Gotcha! because the books, tees and collectables are professionally (commercially) produced, none of these dealers are retailers by profession. Most of these items are dredged out of some fan's private collection either because she's switched fandoms or these are duplicates she wants to trade. Anyone too blatantly commericial sells out of her hotel room rather than from the dealers room. MediaWestCon is a three-day event taking place over Memorial Day weekend, and everyone who possibly can stays in the event hotel. The party goes twenty-four hours a day the entire time. During the day, there are panels run by fans to discuss fannish issues and topics of interest. There is a media room, a zine library reading room, and a con suite.

Now, I have been to a couple of cons where there have been professional guests of honor. I saw Leonard Nimay down at a St. Louis con one year, I rode the elevator several times with Walter Koenig several times at a Denver con, and I met DeForest Kelly, Jimmy Doohan and John Campbell at a Kansas City con. I've been to a couple of straight SF cons where there have been professional writer gruests of honor. I have nothing against professional guests of honor when they are just part of the con mix. I object, however, when these professional guests of honor are the end-all be-all of the convention. And, unfortunately, this is the case with Creation cons. The fen are herded into an auditorium, told to sit and the guests of honor are paraded out for some specific length of time. In between professional speeches, the fen are allowed to spend their money on expensive commercial items.

I saw a lot of that mentality at AlphaCon. The whole con seemed to be organized around the guests' speaking schedules. There were no other panel type discussions. There were no zines in the dealers room, and the few artists I saw were all professional artists. If the price I was told for a dealers table was accurate (or even in the ballpark), no real fan could have afforded to rent a table. Heck, as a professional bookseller, I pay less than ten per cent of that for a table at a mystery convention. On the other hand, though, by having the FanForce there, and T'Bone and Sir Steve, Alpha Con wasn't 100% professional. These guys got their start by starting up web sites that became wildly popular.

But these are all issues we can talk about Saturday evening. I'm really looking forward to this.

Kate

15. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    Considering AlphaCon was the first of it's kind in this area, I think it came off rather well. I enjoyed it. I'd be willing to bet my entire SW collection that even some of the bigger conventions, like DragonCon for example, were not with out there fair share of growing pains in their first couple of years. How many of these type of events are 100% problem free? And even if they do go 99.9% according to plan, there will always be people griping about this, that or the other thing.

16. TheStarKiller

Dec 4, 2000
    Well, I can't stand Star Wreck, so I won't comment on those guests that you mention.

BUT, I will comment on one of the aspects that you bring up. Yes, you are absolutely right that the booth prices were high. That, as well as every other money issue, was the sole deision of Midlands Marketing. Dan had NO control over any of the cost issues. He was too busy organizing the events. That is but ONE of the MANY things that is going to change with any future Cons that we put on.

And that brings me to another question...this con that you mention...it sounds like a bunch of fans sitting around talking about Sci-Fi...and nothing more. You know, we had an art contest that was well advertised on the websites that only TWO people entered! So where was the interest there? We offered free tables to any fan organizations that wanted one...Omaha Fan Force was the only one that took advantage of that offer. Where was the interest?

You know what people said they were MOST interested in seeing this year? ANTHONY DANIELS! You know what the number one thing that the people want for next year? MARK HAMILL!

So, I would say that it is pretty clear that this idea of a fan sit-down Con is very limited in its marketability. Do you remember what the attendance was of this one that you mention?

Now, by NO means am I saying that there shouldn't be a fan type of environment at a Convention. I THOROUGHLY believe that having a room set asside for trivia, debate, and just general Star Wars chatting is an AWESOME idea and one that I will push forward if any future becomes clear for us. Hell, when T'Bone was giving his talk on deleted scenes on Stage 2, it WAS like a bunch of fans just sitting around chatting. He sat on the edge of the stage and everyone just talked about all of the deleted and hidden stuff in the Trilogy. (Personal note: If you get a chance, once he is back up on www.starwarz.com, I highly suggest T'Bones Cut Footage Archive. Very fun stuff there!)

All that I know, from the emails that we have recieved, from the questionaires that were filled out, from the fan outcry for 2002...and from the general atmosphere of the entire weekend...AlphaCon was a FAN success.

Don't know what else can really be said...

P.S. -- Lune, if you have that article from the OWH where the fans were referred to as "living in the basement" or whatever you said it implied, I was wondering if you coud bring it. I will be bringing all of the advertisements that were ran in the OWH, as well as the other magazines that ran adverts in an attempt to see what everyone thinks could have been done better. As I have said, we all really dig any kind of feedback, both positive and negative. Thanks so much for everything that has been posted thusfar.

17. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Speaking from a fan's perspective, I can't find any faults in the whole AlphaCon experience. Actually, there's one thing that bothered me- the charging to sign items the fans brought. That being said, these shows are how a lot of the celebrities make their money. Did anyone MAKE me pay $10 to have Peter Mayhew sign a Chewbacca figure? No. I shelled out the cash because I thought that particular item would be a nice addition to my collection. I understand the charging to sign pictures/items provided by the actor but I felt charging to sign the program when just a day before it was free was a bit odd. Honestly, I can't even complain about that. If i hadn't wanted the autographs, I wouldn't have paid for them. It didn't cost anything to stand in line to talk to the actors, which was even better than getting autographs. With the exception of one person (who played Greedo but we won't talk about her) all of the actors were very friendly & personable.

I can't fault the OWH because I do recall seeing ads for the con. I didn't see the alleged disparaging article in the paper, but we all have to admit, there are plenty of people who fit that stereotype (but that's a whole other conversation). I did hear a lot of the TnT crap, but they hammer everybody. They're equal opportunity bashers. Hell, they gave away the ending of TPM before the movie even came out.

Noew, what I like to see next year? More attendees for one thing. More and varied vendors would be nice too. More of the folks behind the masks. All in all, I'd like to see more of the same and more new stuff. Besides, next year will see the release of a new SW movie and I don't doubt that would increase attendance. Just look @ the SW Celebration. Huge crowds everywhere.

18. TheStarKiller

Dec 4, 2000
    Beleive me, that second day charging for the program is the reason a lot of those guests will not be asked to return if another Con does happen. The free autographs on the program was the one thing that Dan was able to secure from the celeberties. They basically broke their contracts by charging for the programs. Dan, not being of the Star Wars fan community, didn't know when he started inviting these guys that they charged to sign anything. I remember his reaction when I told him about it. Look at Anthony Daniels, who charged $30,000 plus $7,000 for airfare to come to AlphaCon. Then he goes on to charge $25 a pop for his autograph on ANYTHING. In hindsight, we could have gotten around 10 or more other guests for what we paid for him. But this is all a learing experience. Bottom line, any decision to charge for ANYTHING from the celeberties was made solely by the celebs and their agents.

I really can't encourage everyone enough to come out to the Omaha Fan Force meeting this Saturday evening at 6PM at the Mystery Book Store downtown. Back in '99 there were a few of us Omaha Fans that tried to start something like this up in connection with lining up for Episode I and it was not very well recieved. We didn't have the support of a booth at AlphaCon to raise awareness, but we did post our butts off on the Countingdown.Com boards. I remember feeling a bit let down at that last meeting where there were only about 3-4 people there. So if you are a Star Wars fan, and live in the area, and can make it, PLEASE do come out and show your support.

P.S. -- I just recently found out that DragonCon had only a few hundred people in their first year. By that measure, AlphaCon was OUTSTANDING! :)

19. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Well we were glad to be allowed in Alpha Con, and it did a lot for our membership. So in that respect, we probably owe Alpha Con and its staff our existence. It was great timing for us. That is why we will do everything we can to help you and Dan out with next years con. I think together we can accomplish some amazing things. Fans organized and united can make a lot of difference. Dont think so? Just look at the one world/one release campaign. An organization of fans convinced George and Lucasfilm to relase Episode II worldwide on the same day. If they can do that, we can do this. I think the old phrase "united we stand, divided we fall" has some meaning here. United, the Omaha Fan Force and the the people behind Alpha/Omega Con can make it happen. The more voices we have, the more ears we'll reach!

20. banthagrl

banthagrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2001
    Starkiller, about that charging to sign the program...one of the guests (I think it was Admiral Motti) told us he was told he had to charge to sign the front of the program since it was licensed artwork, and he could only sign his picture on the inside for free.

If anyone wants to see copies of all World-Herald stories that ran on AlphaCon, let me know, I'll be coming straight from work on Saturday and I can print copies out from the World-Herald library database...

21. TheStarKiller

Dec 4, 2000
    Yes, that would be Richard's (Motti's) agent, Dennis, that told him to say that if someone wanted the outside auto'd. That guy is a charm among men, let me tell you. :p

Thanks so much for the stories that ran. I have pretty much everything, but I do not remember for the life of me this story that called the fans losers and the actors has-beens. So if you have access to that one, I would appreciate it.

P.S. -- No one should be credited with the success of the Omaha Fan Force except the fans who show up to the meetings and keep this thing moving forward. Dan providing that booth was simply a statement that we encourage that kind of fan support. Let's just hope that everyone does their part to keep it alive!

22. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    You took what I said the wrong way. We went from 5 members on Friday to 99 on Monday. Now how many of those will be active we have yet to see, but the exposure we were given by being there was tremendous. Thats what I meant by the existence statement. Could this have happened without Alpha Con? Maybe. But never that fast. We literaly went from a glimmer in 5 fans eyes to something that has the potential to be a major fan voice in this area seemingly overnight. And in that respect, yes we do owe you and Dan a big thank you. That was all I was trying to get across.

But you are right that now it is up to us, the fans, to make this special. Just as AlphaOmega Con has the potential to be one of the best cons in the nation, I feel that we have the potential to be the best FanForce chapter out there. Bob and I have some great ideas and we share the same vision for us: A large, active chapter of fans. And from the looks of these boards, we are well on our way there!

Oh and Kate! Watch out, looks like you have a little competion on your hands!
    Is it Saturday yet? I cant wait!

Mark

23. LuneKell

LuneKell Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    Mark!

By competition, do you mean you turned up another zine writer here in Omaha? I surely do hope so. To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only active Wars writer in this neck of the woods. There's another gal who's gafiated from wars into bonanza, and she and I get together every now and again. And I know there's another gal here in town who writes Johnny Quest fic, but she publishes strictly on the Internet.

That's one of the things I'm hoping we'll do: create a writers' group. It gets awfully lonely when your closest associates are in KC and Minnesota. I'm the owner of a list for zine eds, writers and artists, and we do a lot of emailing, but that's not nearly as much fun as face-to-face.

Starkiller: The last I heard, MediaWestCon is capped at about 1200 attendees. I think this year is its 21st or 22nd. And, yes, the biggest attraction is fan-to-fan face-to-face interaction. (See above whine about being the only Wars zine writer in town.) But MWCon is one extreme -- just like a CreationCon is the opposite extreme. I honestly don't see why we can't have a happy mix of professional and fannish activities. But one of the biggest things that needs to be done is get the con out of the Civic Auditiorium. That and Anthony Daniels were probably the two biggest expenses. Again, though, that's something we can talk about saturday.

And, for the record, I do not have a word of criticism for Dan. From the sound of it, the Wierd Herald and it's subsidiary organization (Whatever the stupid thing's name is) used and abused him unmercifully. But the Wierd Herald is no longer a part of this, so we can move forward and do it right!!!!

Banthagirl: Yes, please do bring the article Starkiller and I have been talking about. I think it was in last Thursday night's paper. (Since it was last week's paper, it's already gone out with the rest of the garbage.)

To all: Feel free to bring something to drink or munch on for the meeting Saturday evening. Sammy and Ella have hacked up so many hairballs on that carpet, nothing can make it look worse.

Kate

24. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    I agree AlphaCon needs a new home. I don't know what the rate was to use the facility and something tells me I don't want to know. There's plenty of hotels around with ballrooms & convention rooms. Hell, there's the Doubletree, Marriott, etc. Maybe by having the convention and guest accomodations on the same site, costs could be cut down. Hopefully, once the Arena/convention center is finished, prices for the Civic will comew down. Maybe even the Aksarben Colliseum(sp?) could be used if it's not going to be torn down. Also, new investors need to be found. People who have something resembling a clue about these kind of events. If they see that their initial investment will be returned with time, maybe they'll get behind it.

And, as much as I hate to say it, maybe for the next couple AlphaCons, make them less SW-centric. As much as I love SW, maybe have some Dr. Who, Star Blech, Cattlestar Galactica, etc. That might attract a more diverse crowd.

25. JediJohnSeever

JediJohnSeever Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2000
    Greetings all.

My name is John and I signed up for membership in TOFF up at AlphaCon. I live out of state in Missouri, but I was glad to attend AlphaCon. I enjoyed it and I hope that there will be another one next year. However, On the expenses of the con, I was alittle shocked as to the fact that on the AlpaCon Web Page that some of the guest were signing stuff free and that some stuff started at $5.00 and when I got there, it was 10+ dollars to have something signed.

This sort of made me upset and even though it was liek that, I was still glad to see the actors. I was able to attend the SW Celebration in Denver and I had a blast for the 2 days I was there.

Since Dan is looking for help in the next Convention, I would liek to help in some form. I am good at Web PAge design,a nd would be willing to do a Web PAge for the next con up in Omaha.

On the Cons that have been in Kansas City, the only one I know of is Skrimishs<sp>. It is done by the local LARPG guild there. I know caus eI live in St. Joseph. It is usually a good con, the one I went to. Games Workshop was there and so was Gateway who did a demo of XvT when it first came out. Other then that, I am not sure of any other Con, but If there is, I would be glad to attend.

Again, I would be willign to help Dan in his search for help on the NExt Con and I personally think that the person who is behind MM (Midland Marketing) should be took to the highest tree and hung. AlphaCon is a good COnvention for those who are unable to attend the other conventions, due to location and price.

Hope to see you all sometime, and If I can make the 2 hour drive to Omaha again, I'll be glad to attend a meeting. :)

TTYL and MTFBWY

John
    http://www16.brinkster.com/johnseever/

PS - I also have the pics up of wha tI took at AlphaCon. URL is:

http://www16.brinkster.com/johnseever/ALPHACON/index.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.