MN AlphaCon 2001 in review

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Vader2000, May 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vader2000 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah AlphaCon. It's too bad none of you came down for it. It was only my second convention ever, but so far it has been the best.

On Friday, my roommate and I got there at 9 to pick up our VIP passes. The doors opened at noon, but being VIPs, we got to get in at 11. We had some time to kill, so we went over to the hotel to see the History of Star Wars toys exhibit, as well as the entrys for the poster contest, which we had entered two pieces into.

We had some food, say the toy exhibit, but didn't see the posters anywhere. So we headed back to the Civic Auditorium. 11 am rolled around and we were let in. The main hall was laid out really nicely. My roommate had his portfolio with him, so after walking around the hall for a bit, we headed over to the different artists tables and he showed some of them his portfolio. It was nice to meet these guys and see their work, especially Matt Busch's Star Wars art.

At 1:00 we saw the Ep. II Fan Trailer and Indy Anniversary Trailer by the Anonymous Director. It was cool to see the guy, though I was waiting for some Lucasfilm person to come out of the shadows and grab him. :) But he showed us the evolution of the Ep II trailer which was pretty cool.

We then went back into the main hall and looked around. A local video game arcade place was there with about 8 arecade games, and for a $1 a day, you could play as much as you wanted on free play. So we killed some time playing games there.

The rest of the day, I sat in on Warwicks panel about Jedi, but he also talked Willow and Harry Potter and whatever else people wanted to know.

The first VIP perk was that night at 8:00. All the celebs came into the main theater stage and we watched a short montage of each celeb as their character from the movies. Then we just stood around and talked with them till about 9:00. I had talked with Michael Sheard (Adm. Ozzel) earlier in the day at his table. He was the most fun guy to talk to of the original SW cast. So we hung out with him for a bit that night, but I also talked shortly with Mayhew and his wife, and Carel Struycken, Lurch from the Addams family. It was cool to stand next to two guys taller than me. I'm 6'10", Carel is 7', and Peter Mayhew is 7'2".

Saturday. VIP Perk #2. We got to see a pre-screening of DreamWorks' Shrek that morning. I don't know if all the celebs went or not, but Dick Warlock, who was Mike Myers inHalloween 2, sat next to me for a bit, then moved to another seat his wife chose. Hmm...

We got back to the Civic and watched Jeff Cioletti's "Millenium's End: The Fandom Menace" documentary. It was about TPM coming out, midnight toy shopping spree, spoilers and SW websites, stuff like that. It was pretty cool. After that was Anthony Daniels presents. A lot was the same as his Denver presentations or what's on his Wonder Column in space CD. But he also told some stories that I'd never heard before and cussed a bit, which was interesting cause he never did that in Denver. After that I don't think I sat in any other panels that day. I walked around a lot in the main hall, looking at stuff, playing video games, talking to Sheard again, talked with Matt Busch a bit, talked with Michonne Bourriague (Aurra Sing) once...damn she's grogeous, and so is Shannon, and the two of them always seemed to be hanging out together. But anyway, at 8:00, VIP perk #3 came. We got to hang out with all the celebs up on the 19th floor of the hotel. We mostly hung out with two of the artists, Bernie Wrightson and Mike Kalutta, but we also talked to Mike Quinn (puppeted Nien Nunb), saw Dick Warlock again, Mike Edmonds (Logray) came up to me and told me that he really looks up to me, saw Michonne and Shannon again but there was this circel of people theyw ere with and it didn't seem very welcoming for others like myself to join in the conversation.

On Sunday, I watched two fan films, Star Wars: Legacy and Rogue. Both were pretty decent. Then I got to see Return of the Ewok in it's entirety, which was pretty cool. During the day I also decided to
  2. Salacious_Crummy Jedi Master

star 4
    Damn! I wish I could have gone. I am so envious! It sounds like it was quite a good time.
  3. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek: Wow! That about sums it up - Wow! What an awesome experience, especially with all those cool VIP perks. I would love to be able to hang out and converse with all those intersting people.

I remember the first time I saw Michonne Bourriague in an interview, I thought, "she's very pretty!" I never would have guessed that just from Aurra Sing (I don't think Aurra Sing is butt-ugly, but I don't think "gorgeous" either).

I can't imagine Anthony Daniels swearing! Can you imagine him dressed as Threepio cussing in his prissy voice?! Instead of saying "Oh dear!", he'd say "Oh ----!" [face_mischief]

Anything stick out as your favorite thing about the weekend, V2k?

I'm sure Femme will love reading what you wrote about Adm. Ozzel! She has a "thing" for him! :D

Last, sorry to hear about Dan Lundquist! From everything you said, it sounded like he did an awesome job organizing it! Unfortunately for many it boils down to quantity (attendance), not quality. :( I really hope there's another one to look forward to next year!

4. Vader2000 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the thing that stuck out most was the friendly, open, laid-back atmosphere from the fans and the celebrities alike. Too bad the money-grubbing corporate schmucks from Midlands Marketing are too stupidd to realize that a con of this nature, especially with this one being the first, needs about two or three cons before it really catches on and they bring in the numbers they are expecting. Oh well, here's hoping for next year.
  5. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Master

star 4
    I still can't get over that Aurra Sing looks like this without her makeup...

michonne.com
  6. Stardreamer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm glad you had fun, V2K... I would've gone, if I'd had the vacation time and/or the money. Not because I was expecting anything new or different from any other con--to be perfectly honest, the sense I got from all I'd read, from the initial announcements to your review, sounded pretty much like DragonCon to me--but because I don't think that region has any annual cons. Fans should have the chance to get together without having to fly halfway across the country to do it.

Hopefully, if AlphaCon doesn't survive, someone in that area will organize something. It might be smaller, but that can be for the best... gives it a chance to shape an identity.

If there is an AlphaCon 2002... well, I still won't have the vacation time for it, what with the Celebration next year. Ah, well! :)

7. jedigal Jedi Master

star 4
    I wanted desperately]/i] to go to AlphaCon, but a huge variety of factors contributed to my NOT being able to do so. I would love to have the opportunity to go to a future AlphaCon. The Star Trek folks have tons of cons that are geared towards them, it was super cool to have a con geared towards us, it just so happened that I couldn't make it.

I totally with the idea that a con cannot appropriately be considered a success or failure based on only the first year's returns. We fans can only make it to SO many cons each year. Many people probably stick to the same ones until they hear feedback about others from other fans that influences their decisions. Now that I know how great the con was, I want to go to it more than ever. If the promoters fire that dude and cancel the con forever based on this year's, then they are just loony. They must not have had a CLUE about cons and the people who go to them in the first place or they would know better.

Vader2K, if you get a chance, surf up a link to post for people to contact that dumb company!
  8. Dawmer299 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi guys: Dawmer from Omaha here. Even though Alphacon 02 won't happen, Apha/Omega-con will happen next September. I hear its still really early in the planning stages but Dan, the guy who did alphacon is getting it going. Some representative came to our Omaha Fan Force meeting and got our opinions on alphacon and what we would like to see changed. Keeping it real for the fans!! One thing I did hear was cheaper tickets and possibly more guests. So, start planning the road trip now!! It sounds like a good time. Later Dawmer
  9. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the info, Dawmer299! Please keep us tuned!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.