main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alright, I'm ready to kick ass - where do I start?

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by gw2tulsa, Jun 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gw2tulsa

gw2tulsa Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Did I get your attention?

Good... Now for the message.

I had a blast with everyone this last weekend at Trek Expo and at the Drive-in on Saturday night. It was neat to see such a large group having fun and not causing too much trouble :) We need to do more of this stuff in the near future.

Mike mentioned the TFF (Tulsa Fan Force) Council and asked if I would like to be a part of it. I am more than happy to help. With everything going on the last three or four months I have not been able to be around as much as I would like, and for that I apologize. However, things are getting back to normal and I really want to help our group. Tell me when, where, and what, and I'll be there.

Future Events-

I think the next month or so is going to be tight for everyone with the holidays and work schedules. So planning out future events is going to be tricky. here's what I've heard of in the last couple posts that could be doable and nifty.

Arkansas Smithsonian exhibit. Can someone look up info on all this for us. Time and place would be cool. Could make a really neat Saturday trip.

Plano Sci-Fi Expo - We will be hard pressed for time to do the August show, so I recommend the October show... In the past this show has been one of the best for costumes and such since its right around Halloween and all. Also if we have time Saturday Night we could go to Six Flags for their Hallowscream events. Just a thought.

Monthly TFF Drive-In night. Did everyone have fun last saturday? I know Bree and I did. It was a great way to simply take a load off and relax. If possible (and weather permitting) I'd like to try and organize this at least once a month if possible. It would probably be good to have this one the same weekend as our meetings, or better yet make it a meeting if we get there early enough.

Trek Expo 2002/ Defcon:Reborn - Not sure who, but someone from our leadership needs to follow up with SB 21 and thank them for our table space and their generosity. I think everyone agrees that we were a hit at the show this year, even the die hard trekkers have to admit it. I think with a little extra time to plan and organize, we could have an even larger-better event next year. Also, how are we in talk with Wizards for Defcon next year. You can never plan too soon...

gw2's party - Its coming, not sure when, but it will happen. I'll keep everyone informed...

Well, if I've missed anything, please do not hesitate to call me on it. I'm sure there are tons of different things we can do within the group to make some great impressions in the city...

This is only the start of many future great things IMHO...

-Gary Weaver II

2. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Not sure if I qualify as part of the leadership but. I thanked Jon Harper personally on Sunday at the expo and earlier this week I sent them an email thanking them again. When I talked to him Sunday and mentioned coming back next year he seemed glad and said... That should not be a problem at all...

as of yet no one is in contact with Wizards about defcon. Once we have this leadership council and city rep issue settled we can move on to that.

Oct in plano would be better than August. I have apossible line to the fellow who runs those shows. IF we so choose that can be explored. If we already have a contact. All the better.

3. gw2tulsa

Apr 6, 2002
    Ed,

Good to hear that the Starbase thank yous have been taken care of. Now we just need to have someone rebuild thier website and we'll be all set :)

Don't worry about the Plano Shows - I have that covered pretty easily. I'm good friends with Ben Stevens and have set up there many times in the past. I'll see what he can do for us table wise. In recent shows he has required actual $$$ for the tables. This October show is not a big SW/ST show (its more focused on Horror stuff IIRC), so the run on tables may not be a great as in the past couple months.

I'll let you know.

-Gary

4. talltrees

talltrees Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2002
    Gary and Ed, it all sounds good. I like the idea of meeting once a month and the drive in too. I am glad that both of you will be around a little more too. Things have been a little crazy with all of us, so I am glad that the slower days of summer are coming around. I vote for the Oct. expo in TX and I think Jenny is going to AR this weekend. Maybe she can get more info for us when she is there. I will e mail her and see what she says. Take care.

5. gw2tulsa

Apr 6, 2002
    Lisa,

That sounds good to me. Please let us know when and what you hear back from Jenny.

Sounds to me like we are going to get a lot of things on our list taken care of real fast here :) Thats good... very good...

-Gary

6. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    I think a Oct showing at Plano would be better too. IT farther away and give us all time to recover (My feet still hurt)

7. Angry_Princess

Angry_Princess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    Here's the info I have about Hot Springs so far:

The exhibit is scheduled to run through September 15th at the Mid America Science Museum in Hot Springs. General admission for adults (12 & over) is $6. Lightsaber dueling classes are available on Saturdays. They are 30min long and $5 per session. The museum is open 9 - 6 every day.

I guess I'll find out if the info is right this weekend. Yahooo!!!!! :)

I know that the Little Rock FF is planning a trip there, it would be neat if we could meet up. Though, they are probably going sooner than we plan to.

8. JonnyShogun

JonnyShogun Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2002
    I've spoken to Jimmy about Defcon and he will be open to just about anything we want to do there. I'm probably going to helping out there with the gaming end, and with this much lead time there should be enough time to plan just about whatever. I'm sure he'll be open to any suggestions. I talk to him every week or so when I run weekly TCG tournaments so if you all have anything just let me know. This thing next October is going to KICK ASS. Probably going to be at the new Renaissance Hotel over on 169 and 71st. Everyone I've talked to is psyched over it, remembering Defcons in the past. This one may be better budgeted than in previous years and should be bigger than ever.

John

9. Angry_Princess

Angry_Princess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    Those dueling lessons on Saturday run from 10am-4pm. I'm not sure how long it will take for us to get there. I'll let everybody know how long it took me to get there (from Pryor).

10. tk-424

tk-424 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2002
    I agree with John Andrew...
    In the past...Defcon has been the Best Sci-Fi con I have ever been to.
    Plano has always been fun ...but they dont hold as many events as Defcon.
    I am glad that jimmy is putting on Defcon again.

11. Forceofvader

Forceofvader Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2000
    Amen to that Scott. I miss those cons sooo much they really kicked Treks ass!!!!

12. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    I got to go to the last one before he stopped. I sooo planned on going to the next and bugged him once a week for 2 years about it before i stopped collecting and didn't go there anymore... but he still remembers me, he's a nice young man.

13. Maumi

Maumi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Does anyone know the dates for Plano in Oct? Mike1 and I have a wedding that we are in Oct 12th. So I hope it is not this weekend. If anyone know let me know please! Thanks :)

14. Sentinel_Vash

Sentinel_Vash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Super Chi Chi dont you mean Mike2? Mike1 is Big Daddy K.

15. Maumi

Maumi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    No I meant MIke1 see what you don't know is I am really with Mike1 and Jamie is with Mike2-D2. So I was right!!! Ok, so I messed up, yes I meant Mike2-D2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.