main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Just locked up the Vlad dungeon and his mass-murder blade.
    Rough edges or not, I'm all in to finish this part of the series.

I wonder how they'll pull off Ezio replaying Altair's memories.
    Will Ezio be made aware of Desmond? I know about the Black Room, but still....

2. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
  3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Altair You a New One... I only just got that. [face_plain]

and they can't improve the graphics. From what I've seen, Revelations is stuttering on the XBox enough as it is. And the in-game models were improved between 2 and BroHood: Everyone was plasticy shiny in 2, they looked much better in BroHood. And the in-game look is more important than the cutscenes anyway.

4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Oh yay! They're actually choosing characters who won't look absolutely ridiculous aside the existing cast and completely break the game! LOOKING AT YOU SOUL CALIBUR IV.

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I keep hearing too many good things about the series. So, despite my fear of UbiSoft, I installed AC1 again. And then bought AC2. Enjoying myself so far, having got the swank crib.

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    LOL...just wait 'till you play Brotherhood. [face_devil]

7. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I guess I forgot this comes out on Tuesday. Might have to go in and trade some games in; my wallet is crying after Skyrim and Saints Row 3.

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    No kidding. My wallet is crying already and I haven't even bought a new game after Arkham City. Revelations will have to wait a bit it seems. :(

9. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    While I generally enjoy the platforming in the games, a) the random tendencies to fail to jump from a swinging pole, b) the random tendencies to bounce off a wall rather than climb it (75% more likely to happen if my back is to guards or a deadly fall!), and c) the Assassin's Tomb Raider levels all annoy me. And whoever decided to insert what I called the "LOLSPLAT" cam into what should be easy jumps to make them far more difficult needs to be beaten with one of the brooms in game.

Also, I will preorder AC3 now if they say there's no roof archers.

Also, it occurs to me that Altair desyncs every time he takes damage. Therefore, the real Altair never took any damage. :eek:

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Asassin's Tomb levels are hella fun.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    When did they drop the III from the title? The Game Informer mag had this titled as AC III: Revealations a few mths ago.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Revalations never had III in the title. That's for the last game, not one of the spin-offs.

And regarding the series, I only liked the first game.

13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Ummm....really? The first game was kind of boring.

14. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004

Yeah??? AC 2 is clearly the best.

15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yes, hindsight always being 20-20, AC1 was clearly a prototype. Most of the finer elements were refined for AC2 and others removed. IMO the repetitive mission structure of AC1 was definitely the one thing that nearly broke that game.

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Rather posh, isn't it?[face_money_eyes]

:p

Can't get mine for nine more hours, but I do have 2 spoiler questions for those who are already shanking peeps: Is there a ghost of Altair onscreen at the same time as Ezio? Like racing games that let you chase your best time.... Is that how we sync the animus nexus points that I read about?

Certainly makes sense as the reason they are both onscreen.[face_mischief]

17. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Right now, my theory is that Altair is alive. The last Codex page he wrote mentions that he was considering using the Apple one last time. I think that he made himself immortal, or relatively so.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    That was my theory as well at the end of AC2, that somehow Altair would be revealed as the ancient, immortal grandmaster of the Assasins... eventually getting corrupted by the Apple, falling to the corruption of its power just like Al-Mualim did before him and providing the final bossfight for AC3 or whichever will be the last title of this series. But since I've yet to play Revelations (and it seems I won't be able to do so for awhile :( ) it remains to be seem whether this theory has any validity.

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    New weapons controls are fresh!

Defending the towers was hectic the first time, but a welcome change.

Hookblade is awesome, wish we had it sooner.

Bombs. Being Boom Daddy never gets old.

Subject 16. More going on there than is currently revealed.

New map sucks just like the old one, but that is trivial.

Rooftop Riflemen. Trigger happy.

Luvin this soo far!!

20. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Paid mine off in old, beaten games last night. To me, it's like a free game. Will be picking it up later in the day.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Its almost pound-time!

Less than two hours from my next fractured memory!!
    Oh, Yayes!!!

22. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Haven't played yet. I did read about the "Tron-like first person" sequences and that has me concerned...

As to the talk of AC3 or what not, Brotherhood and Revelations were spin-offs of the "wildy popular" Ezio. Only numbered games will introduce new Assassins. So, by that thought, the new game in '12 will be AC3 (since this is the end of Ezio's & possibly Desmond's story), and assuming they stick with this formula, will release two "spin-offs" with each. Though, that may have been done only for Ezio.

23. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Dammit, Ezio, I'm trying to be responsible and get some sleep. And **** the Janissary.

24. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've only done the first Desmond level. They're quite a change, almost a Minecraft-style platformer. It's an interesting concept, but I need to play more of them to get a feel.

Constantinople is a great city to run around, but it doesn't quite have the same impact or feel of enormity that Rome had (at least to me). It feels more alive though and climbing the Hagia Sophia is great.

The only real complaint I have so far is the lack of a central villain (at least so far). One of the reasons that AC2 and Brotherhood were so great was that Rodrigo and Cesare Borgia were great Villains and, more importantly, distinct characters - Rodrigo devious and Cesare unhinged. The story is excellent so far and may not need them, but it is a slight issue.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    U got that right. Those dudes are uber-tough, after the costume-air-assassination, if u don't get out of there quickly, its curtains. There had to be 50 of those cats inside the camp. I ziplined right towards the water....

Just lost one of my three flaming dens.

Not really liking the defend the towers stuff at this point, but its only my first in-game defense. I agree that the city doesn't feel as big as Rome, and for me, I think its because everything is so similar. Beautifully done, yes, but.... I guess what I'm getting at is this game feels like the largest DLC file ever created. Nothing feels new, but everything feels better. The refinements in combat are well received, luv the hookblade and ziplines, but still miss my armored horse.:p

Other thoughts:
    Subject 16 struck me as wanting to escape through Desmond's body, right from the jump.
    The male voice inside the animus reminds me of "Q" from Star Trek.
    Been trapped under a glitchy floor, always a first for everything.
    The cistern with the 2nd key, was the funnest, timed-run I've ever done in AC.
    The river chase for #3 was better than the horse chases of yesteryear.
    Altair looks more like Ezio with each completed key-memory.
    Still don't know who the bad guy is, so I'll kill them all.
    I have 25 of those Desmond points, haven't gone back to the Island yet.
    I've read some complaints about those, so I held off and focused on fixing half the shops and making $.
    I think I'm in sequence 5, with 10.5 hours of gameplay.