main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I am having an absolute blast with the pirate aspect of the game. Haven't even touched an Assassins Creed type mission in three days. Sailing, looting, and plundering is pure joy.

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Had the game been 100% pirating and plundering and with a story that had nothing to do with the Assasins vs. Templars-going-after-forerunner-tech-to-control-the-world conflict, I probably would've given the game a chance. But as it is, I'm really tired of the same old AC stuff at this point.

4. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The only problem I have so far is the Assassin Contracts. WTH? How does Edward know to look for pigeon coupes and assassinate Templars? This has never been brought up in the story so far, yet these contracts are available for me. It doesn't make sense.

5. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Yeah I noticed that too. It is eventually brought up though.

6. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Edward's participation in assassination contracts is touched upon in the story, though likely further ahead from where you currently are. Once you reach that point, it'll make more sense.

The short answer is that if you're doing contracts before you've been given in-story reason to do so, you're essentially reliving the memories out of their correct sequence due to the conventions of the Animus. Something similar occurs in Assassin's Creed II, wherein you may continue to receive and carry out contracts for Lorenzo de Medici beyond memory sequence twelve, despite the fact that Lorenzo canonically dies in 1492. There is a true period of time during which both Ezio and Edward carried out the assassination contracts, but the Animus allows the viewer/player to access the memory of each assassination in their own time at their own pleasure, rather than in the rigid chronological order each Assassin actually lived the events.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Huh. I guess that's as good a reason as any.

8. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    I know most don't enjoy the modern day portions of the games but for those who do, don't you miss Desmond? Because I seriously do!

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I do miss Desmond. AC3 was a poor send off for a character who had such potential.

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I so don't, I always was a giant tool anyway. Having great fun so far btw. :) Got to love Edwards coming and going beard in different sequences. :p

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I honestly can't wait for the Assassin's Creed movie that is coming out in 2015 with Michael Fassbender playing Desmond or Altair

12. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah...he really shouldn't be playing either character. Especially Altair. Altair's an Arab man, and Desmond is a multiracial man descended from a variety of peoples. Neither is particularly appropriate for a blonde-haired Irishman to portray. Even overlooking the obvious and more serious issue of how wrong it is to whitewash the casting of characters of color, the last thing Assassin's Creed needs as a budding film franchise is the negative publicity stemming from such a stupidly insensitive move.

I'm personally hoping for something new rather than an adaptation. For one, I hate the idea of compressing the narrative presented in the game to the bare bones state the would be required for a one and a half/two hour film, and too many changes to fit the format inevitably leads to a loss of what gave the story its original charm. There's also something to be said for being told a new story rather than being fed the same story back again. It should still be a part of the larger AC canon of the games and comics, using the same conventions and dynamics and all the rules of the narrative world that's been created, but it wouldn't hurt to have a new Assassin in the past and a new descendant in the present day for the film.

Contessa and Darth_Invidious like this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    That is a good point

Wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
  15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Amusing thing is Jake Gyllenhaal actually does have Middle Eastern ancestry (though pretty remote) and the Prince of Persia movie has the unique distinction of actually being the first video game adaption movie that was pretty good, though I for one loved the Super Mario Brothers movie, but that is more of a niche thing ;)

Zeta1127 likes this.
  16. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Mortal Kombat wasn't too bad.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I liked Tron. Oh, you mean based on a video game not made for a movie? Well ****. :p

But anyway, I played the first game about 2 years ago, and I recently got the Ezio trilogy. I'm about 1/3 through ACII, and I really love everything about it. I thought the first one was great, and this one basically took all of the best elements of AC and expanded greatly on them, while also excising the not-so-great elements of AC, like Altair's super drowning skills.

I might get AC3 or AC4 for Christmas (or both), but for now I'll work my way towards finishing 2 and playing Brotherhood and Revelations.

Gorefiend and Mia Mesharad like this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Skip 3. You can YouTube the important story elements.

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Ah 3 is fine :) and still better then most video games, just a little weak in some aspects when compared to other AC games.

Thankfully Conner and Edward are great swimmers. :D

TheMDOSS1313 likes this.
  20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Agreed. AC3 is thoroughly skippable. Play it if you're a completist in regards to Desmond's cycle (arguably, there were a few interesting modern day scenes/missions), but Connarmageddon simply bored me to tears. His daddy was more compelling and he was a magnificent bastard.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I certainly hope so, considering the setting! :p

But yeah, I'm in no rush to get to ACIII. Maybe I'll skip it, maybe I won't.

22. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Ok I'm on sequence 6. That being said, I am enjoying the exploring but god damn, enough with all of the random red squares and places on maps and islands. I've had enough of it, I can't really explore in peace if I have to constantly kill enemies and dodge sharks at the bottom of the ocean. I want to enjoy this world and I can't if I'm constantly under attack or threat of attack.

The missions are terrible so far, trail enemy, eagle vision, eaves drop, rinse repeat a hundred times. Steal stuff from a warehouse, find the enemy, pickpocket etc.

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I haven't really done much of the Assassin's Creed portion of the game so far. Mostly just pirating fun for me. But yeah, even I'm starting to get a bit irked by all the restricted areas. Sometimes the Caribbean Sea is so congested with hostile naval traffic that I feel like I'm driving home from work during rush hour.

Volderon likes this.
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I hated all those restricted areas

Volderon likes this.
  25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

I can't help thinking how Ubisoft re-worked gameplay for certain franchises like Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six or Splinter Cell to renew interest in them or otherwise change certain gameplay aspects that no longer worked or simply weren't appealing enough, yet they seem incapable or unwilling to touch AC's gameplay. I was bored with trailing enemies with eagle vision while avoiding hundreds of enemy guards in your way as far back as AC2. Even scaling buildings, mountains or whatever other vertical structure they come up with just doesn't cut it anymore. I sense a level of franchise fatigue even with more diehard fans like Ezio here, so who knows if that feeling is more widespread now. Ubi should really re-think this series as a whole at this point if they want some of us to pick up a copy of their next game.