main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Unity is getting closer! I have it preordered on the XB1. Anyone else planning on doing some coop?

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Probably won't bother with Rogue

But am excited for Unity though.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    See, I'm the opposite, but only really because I don't want to get an Xbone. :p

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  5. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I was gonna try Rogue as it looked really cool being in the North Atlantic but as soon as they said Naval Combat...hahahaha no. I already played IV and it got old 1/2 way to 3/4 in.

Unity looks much better, those Paris buildings...my mouth is watering just thinking of climbing them. I don't have an Xbox One though so.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    It's also on the PS4 too :p

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I still have my 360 in addition to next gen, but I'll wait for reviews before I purchase any of them. Might pass on Rogue if it's just more of the same.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why would anyone settle for a console when the glory of PC is right there?!

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    So people can't afford a good PC, which is the only thing keeping me away from Star Citizen.

10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I believe that in this day and age, the cost difference isn't as substantial as it once was between consoles and PCs. However, PC gaming is too "hardcore" for my lifestyle. I entertain often, so console gaming is more fitting. Plus, I've grown accustomed to playing on my couch and with my game displayed on my TV rather than a PC monitor.

I haven't played PC games seriously since the days of Warcraft 2.

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I don't understand any of the above objections to PC gaming, which can easily be done on your couch on your TV.

12. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    It's really nice to just know the game will be optimised for your set-up on a console. I don't have to spend time filtering through the options menu, bothering with V-Sync and DX11. Occasionally, you have to spend 30 minutes+ on forums trying to figure out why the hell this game isn't working with this graphics card.

That's the major difference between PC and console IMO. Do you want to be able to control every aspect of your experience, or do you just want to pop the disc in and play?

'Tis why I mostly play indies on PC, and AAA games on console.

13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    If PC gaming has seamlessly transitioned into couch/tv gaming, then I've clearly been out of the loop since the days of Warcraft 2 :p

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I would imaging PC gaming can transition well to TV gaming with a proper setup, but I can't afford such a setup, I can't even afford to take full advantage of internet on consoles.

To correct my previous post, I meant:

15. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes, TVs and monitors both use HDMI these days so there's no problem.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    You have a PC tower set up on your living room TV stand?

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

I'm so ambivalent about the next gen consoles that that's an option I've considered.

Yes, even budget video/graphics cards come equipped with HDMI ports in order to connect your PC to your HDTV. You can connect an Xbox controller to any available USB port if you so prefer it as an input device and if the game allows it (which is most PC action games these days, it seems). Fitting a PC tower somewhere around your living room's entertainment center isn't that titanic a project.

To me, the issue is still price. Yes, you can have spectacular graphics with a PC that no console will ever match. But when some of the best graphics cards currently on the market can cost twice as much as a new next gen console, then that's a tough pill to swallow. Then the decision on which platform to spend loose cash to sate a gaming need becomes no decision at all. That's not mentioning the cost of the PC to put said graphics card into, then tweaking the settings and praying to the gods your setup will play the game you want at optimum settings.

So, when it comes down to brass tacks, the decision is a purely personal one. My gaming needs are so diminished that at this point I probably will wait for the newer consoles to go down in pricing a bit of offer a bundle that's too good to pass up (like, say, an Arkham Knight Xbone or PS4 bundle, for example). The hardcore, tech-savvy gamer with (or without) loads of cash to burn will of course choose the PC first and choose a console second for those particular exclusives that never make their way to that platform. Many others - whether hardcore or casual gamers - will choose a console as the most easy to use, affordable option and there's nothing wrong with that either. There are options, and choices you can make along the way. So really, just go with whichever option you prefer and forget about the rest.

18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    And when there are games out there like Star Citizen that push PC hardware to the limit, its hard for your average individual to get into something like that.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Sure, and if having vastly inferior graphics is your thing, consoles are grand.

20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Some people see consoles as convenient, and when one can't keep their computer up to spec for the latest titles, just being able to play the games is often enough. Also, some games are console only exclusives. Graphics don't mean a whole lot to me, though I have trouble dealing with old graphics at times.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  22. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Sweet, more time to save up. Thank you Rocksteady and Ubisoft for delaying both games.

Although if games keep getting delayed and released once every two to three years, having a console is gonna suck.

23. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Having a game every two-three years means you get a really freakin' good game. It takes time to make a well-polished fully-realised virtual world. But thankfully this delay makes it much simpler to play Rogue first. I now don't have to sit and stare at Unity for two weeks while I wait. :p

24. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes, but usually you would use a compact case like this:
    [​IMG]

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Nothing about that looks compact.