main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Do you realise how big it is? It's smaller than an XBOX One.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, the size of the disk drive and the overall height of the box would indicate it is much smaller than your average PC tower. Note the outline of the disk tray on the front of the box to the right, which isn't much smaller than the tower and puts the height of the box into perspective.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I take it the big red thing in the middle is the GPU?

Keeping it open like that probably helps with the cooling but at the same time makes it a bit unsightly. Is that the kind of rig you have?

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No its not and the cover just isn't on it in the picture, lol.

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    ^ Private video...

7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
  8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I assume there are retailer exclusive pre-order bonuses?

EDIT:

And here they are.

9. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    So this mechanic will allow some really cool moments in Unity ala going back to Acre in the second game.

10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So much hate in those comments.

11. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    A pretty neat new AC site has popped up. It allows you to rewatch assassinations from all previous games and hear both Shaun Hastings and Melanie Lemay (from Abstergo Entertainment) give their perspective on who was in the right.

http://www.assassinscreedrogue.com/en-gb/assassination/

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I just want to comment that it's high time they mined the French Revolution - basically the series, up to and including AC3, had played really fast and loose with the historical record. The French Revolution lasted a while, but the timeline is much easier to pin down and is very well-documented. I mean, it's 12 years in one country, largely in urban centres, and it's just such a massive wealth of information and things happening.

The reason I mention this is because your link, 07jonesj, reminds me of my main complaints with the first few games - namely how shoehorned-in the history can be, and how loosely they use it in their adaptation. I'm really hoping they've come a long way, I really want to play this one. Black Flag did a lot to restore my faith, and I'm hoping this'll be the game.

07jonesj likes this.
  13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So are you folks picking up both Rogue and Unity, or just one or the other? Since my 360 has been collecting dust, I'll probably just stick to Unity. Don't really see the appeal of Rogue.

14. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I'll be picking up both. While Rogue certainly is the lesser game in terms of graphics and gameplay innovation, it's the story that has me interested. I want to see what they can do with a Templar main character, and I'm interested in seeing more of characters from the Colonies saga like Haytham, Achilles and Adewale.

With Unity, the gameplay looks great and I'm intrigued with how they'll cover the French Revolution.

15. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I'll admit some curiosity regarding Rogue's story as well. But considering how burned out with AC games I've been, I really just can't imagine myself playing two of them simultaneously. Black Flag breathed some fresh air into what was becoming a stale series, but not enough to reinvigorate me. Even my eventual purchase of Unity seems more due to obligation than true enthusiasm.

I really am hoping, though, that Unity will ignite the same spark that Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood did. Those were, imo, the pinnacle of the series.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm not getting an Xbone anytime soon, so Rogue it is. I recently played Bro-hood and Revelations in close proximity to each other, so I'm taking a break for a bit before continuing.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I've been seeing bits and pieces of a Unity playthrough on YouTube (yeah, not sure how the guy has his copy already) but...it's more of the same with even more convoluted story and open-world-activities thrown in the mix. Maybe it's just me but I think I enjoyed the series more when things were relatively simpler in terms of scope. Each new game since Brotherhood has brought one questionable design or gameplay "innovation" after another. And coupled with the seemingly eternal and ever more convoluted Templar/Assassin/Precursor story...yeah, I simply don't care anymore. Definitely not enough to buy a whole new console just for this game.

H-BOMB likes this.
  18. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I don't think I'm going to get Rogue because I don't feel like playing another naval combat game. Don't get me wrong, I love that it's in a new setting with snow but Black Flag burnt me out on naval combat by the end of it.

I would get Unity in a heartbeat if I had a new console but I think I'm going to wait until Batman is closer to being released.

I also agree with the posters who said Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood were the best. Black Flag was pretty good but the story wasn't good enough and the missions were too repetitive for me. Always tailing this guy and if you got too far away, well that's too bad, you fail the mission.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Only have a PS4 so will be picking up Unity.

20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Where are the reviews?

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Polygon.com Xbox One 6.5/10 Review

Kind of a bittersweet review detailing a desirable return to Assassin's Creed being Assassin's Creed complete with beautiful visuals and an exciting new combat system, but unforgivably sullied by frame rate and technical issues and further hindered by a convoluted and perhaps irrelevant story.

Frame rate issues are experienced across all platforms (PC, PS4, X1)

Ubisoft apparently requested that reviews not be posted until 12pm EST today, and now the reviews are slowly coming in...and they're not good. Apparently there are still no reviews of Rogue, though.

22. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Thats the first time Ubisoft put an embargo on it didn't they? Maybe they knew it had problems and wanted to get the most out of early sales as they could.

IGN gave it 7.8/10 as well. I may wait on buying a new console due to the low scores, this is the first time I'm not buying an AC game right away. Might as well save up and wait until Batman is closer.

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Gamespot gives the game 7/10, calling it the closest the series has come to the quality of AC2 since...well, AC2. However, they note that the game doesn't quite reach the glory of Ezio's introductory tale, but it makes a fair attempt.

I'm on the fence. Regardless, do you guys recommend a disc purchase or a direct download purchase? I'm thinking that a direct XBL download would save me a few bucks and perhaps even cut down on the atrocious load times I've read about.

24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    You know, a lot of the reviews I've seen are critical of Unity for being, well, more of the same. And there's an irony to that because you could call this AC7 and it'd be totally accurate. I'm not really sure why that's a complaint now and not during AC3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it is more of the same, only I really liked "more of the same" when it was pirates and I'm sure I'm going to love being the Scarlet Pimpernel in this game.

25. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    I was going to buy a new console for Christmas and getting this game too but now I'm unsure because this was going to be the game I would buy a console for.

If everyone was saying it was amazing I'd get one in a heartbeat but maybe I can take some more time to decide which console. I did some research and it's looking like a PS4 at the moment. I just want to game, not have a whole entertainment console etc. The only downside is my achievements and if there is ever another Gears of War for the Xbox.