main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Go to 0:55:

2. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    Unity reviews have kept me from considering it but I've been thinking about Black Flag. I keep reading the story is terrible but the side quests and open world are great. Anything else that I should factor into my decision?

Some background: I skipped the PS3 and have never played an AC game. Since getting a PS4: I'm on my 3rd playthrough of TLOU. Bought DBXenoverse; it was ok. Uncharted 1 & 3 were ok but 2 was one of my favorites (played the Trilogy via PSNow) along with Far Cry 4. Super mediocre story in that game but I enjoyed the open world and side quests, which isn't something I thought would be my cup of tea, and is sorta why I'm considering AC:BF.

3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    As I understand it, Unity was worse on the PS4 than on the Xbox One. I played the latter version myself and encountered no bugs. That said, I found Unity to be full of promise. It has many interesting elements, such as the rifts, but doesn't do as much with those elements as you might want. While I enjoyed Arno, I couldn't get submerged into his drama. He's hopelessly in love with an arrogant woman that seems thoroughly devoid of charm. And despite the game taking place in the French Revolution, Arno's narrative portrays this event as little more than background noise.

I would easily recommend Black Flag. That's a great game.

Maharishineo likes this.
  4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    FYI: Black Flag is available free for download 'til the end of the month for Xbox 360 owners with Gold Live membership. I tried to d/l it but almost as soon as the download starts it stops and I get a system message that simply says "Can't Download Black Flag" and no other reason is provided. That has already happened with another couple of games and my internet connection is stable. Anyone know if this is a recurring issue with Free with Gold games?

5. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I've had hiccups with Games for Gold 360 games. I just kept trying and eventually my game downloaded. In this case it was Gears of War Judgment.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The story is fantastic. I haven't heard anyone say otherwise. The gameplay is tons of fun, and if you're interested in a fairly unique open world, what with the inclusion of sailing, I'd say go for it.

As for Unity, I'm playing it now and haven't encountered any technical issues. The story is solid so far and the graphics are gorgeous; the only drawback is that I'm not a fan of some of the retooled gameplay elements.

Maharishineo likes this.
  7. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Anybody else think AC II sucks?Half of its just "I am Ezio and I need to stop Templars I overheard plotting,but didnt kill for some reason and now I need to kill this Italian guy to stop him killing this Italian guy and The Italian guy I stopped from being killed wants me to fight alongside this Italian guy and everybody is an assassin or something."

Why do people love Ezio?His voice is annoying and the only good joke(Im in rome now)In the entire Renaissance section is "You need an outlet."Which was said by someone else. The fight system is annoying,he jumps off buildings and The hidden gun is USELESS.Why does everbody love this game?

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Because most of us played it in 2009 / 2010 when it was considerably cooler. Play it now and the flaws and limitations of the AI are more apparent but that's always been the way with games as they get older.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Probably because we don't have some weird hangup about Italians?

10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    AC2 deserves a next gen remake.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  12. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Everbody still always calls AC II the best(I hope I never visit this alternate black flag/rogue less reality). When everbody talks about how great Ezio is do they mean he BECOMES awesome?If he's like this in brotherhood and revelations I might skip them.Unless someone interesting other then Leonardo shows up.Thats one of the many things I dislike about AC II:The only people in it I'v heard of are Da Vinci and Lorenzo De Medici.And I couldn't care less about a guy who bought paintings.In Black flag and ac III it was cool meeting people like blackbeard,Washington and Black Bart.I can't care when every single mission is either:Kill a mean guy!or save a nice guy!Prepare to kill another mean guy!

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This isn't a purely rational discussion, it's also emotional.

After the crappy game that was AC1, AC2 blew people away because it tapped the potential its predecessor had but much better.

As to the paintings: "Learn to appreciate art." ;) (I figure you'll get the ref.)

As to the story, some of the history in AC2 is quite accurate. As is brotherhood, it all just gets mixed in with other bits of fiction.

14. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    I dont doubt that the history is fairly accurate but that dosn't make "Save nice guy,kill mean guy,plan to kill mean guy" four times entertaining.The paintings are pretty yes but I meant I couldn't care less about Lorenzo_One of the two people in this game I'd heard of before.And AC II may have been better then 1 but nobody seems to notice that better AC games have been made since.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I can pretty much guarantee that is very much contested!

I bailed on the series due to the crap that was AC2: Revelations though so can't engage in that discussion.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
  17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Dude...seriously. You just found out about this now? [face_shame_on_you]

Ok, I started replaying Black Flag a little while ago...and I'm really digging it now. TBH, at the time it came out I was pretty burned out on the series and the new game had inherited some, IMO, unnecessary combat tweaks from AC3...as well as some annoying new stalking mission mechanics. That and the kinda dull, kinda frustrating and oh so very familiar AC mission mechanics have gotten just a tad old by now. But the piraty/naval combat stuff? Pretty damn awesome. So, I'm pretty content fighting and pillaging ships, ravaging marine life and searching for treasure for hours at a time and only engage in the odd boring story AC missions when I feel like it. :p

Oh yeah, in regards to AC2: I admit that the story seems a tad long and the list of enemies and targets (not to mention collectibles and side quests/activities) Ezio acquires seems endless and at times pointless. But without a doubt, it is leaps and bounds a far superior game than its predecessor and I don't think any of its sequels have quite recaptured the charm of that installment, regardless of any tweaks and graphical improvements since.

18. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    The only people who say black flag isn't the best are Ezio and Connor fans who basically say:"Edward didn't get a five minute montage making him an assassin this game sucks!"And Rogue fans(sadly rare) but they could be right when they say rogue is best.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Come on, I've already told you I can't discuss those games with you as I bailed - you need a new discussion partner!

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Black Flag feels like an AC3 expansion given how little new it brings to the table and because, well, it's pretty much a AC3 prequel for all intents and purposes. It's a fun piraty game, but the AC stuff really brings me down at times.

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    It's almost universally accepted that the AC parts of Black Flag are the worst parts of that game. But Edward's pirating adventures and narrative is truly unique.

22. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Anyone else heard about Syndicate? Female palyable character in a main game at last. Even if she is a minor protagonist compared to the male.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Syndicate? That sounds like a AC game set against a mafioso/gangland backdrop.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh right, Victorian London...the gangster setting would've been more interesting.

25. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    There are meant to be street gangs and that sort of thing, a bit like how the Assassin's used street gangs in Rogue.