main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    After watching more videos I can find all of three things that peak my interest in this game.
    1. Interactive battles
    2. The Return of large scale free roam ship to ship combat
    3. The map is beautiful as always.
    Sadly none of that makes up for my other concerns. This very much does not look or feel like Assassins Creed.
    They're going to need one heck of a justification to explain all these choices.
    Even then I will probably not preorder it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I was hoping they'd stick with the every other year model, or if we did get one this year, that it'd be a continuation of Bayek and Aya's story. Since neither of those are the case, and since Origins is still fresh, I'll almost certainly pass on Odyssey. Absolutely nothing about it looks interesting to me.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  3. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So Ubisoft have shared there dlc plans for the game, I have to say I’m not surprised about the remaster.

4. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Sorry for the double post but it’s also being reported that AC liberation remastered will come with AC 3. I’m pretty excited for this.

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    In addition both games come free with the Odyssey DLC season pass, which includes 2 episodic DLCs.

PimpBacca likes this.
  6. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Pretty happy with the gold edition it will Launch 2 days after my birthday so a nice gift to myself

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Gameplay of Odyssey looks phenomenal - part AC, part GoW, part Witcher 3.

I still need to play Origins, so it's a-ways off, but it looks like another winner for Ubisoft, and all confidence restored in the franchise.

themoth and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I preordered Odyssey the other day, looking forwards to it a lot :)

heels1785 likes this.
  9. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    I’ve been playing for about 4 hours now, a few things. There’s a lot of funny dialogue, climbing Feels smoother and Ship to ship battles are better than ever!

10. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    My favorite moment well playing so far.

11. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I think I will be jumping back into the series with the newest game as fast as I can.

PimpBacca likes this.
  12. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Honestly all the Odyssey talk just makes me want to jump back into Origins and do some more stuff that I never got around to, maybe buy the DLC. That game still feels fresh to me.

darkspine10 likes this.
  13. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Origins is a very good game, I only just finished it all (dlc also) two weeks ago after a slow burn though out the year and I enjoyed it all the more for it.

14. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    Caved and got the Ultimate Edition. I had a giftcard though so I dont feel too horrible about it . . .

Only just got my feet wet in the game. Playing as Kassandra, enjoying it so far! I never skipped out on an AC game except for Unity and Syndicate, but Origins really reinvigorated my love for the series.

Much more RPG-y this time around, but the movement is improved overall and I really liked the Exploration Mode that forces you to navigate by context a little more. I hope that they eventually do a guided "Discovery Tour" mode like they did for Origins.

15. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    The 'Ancient Greece' Discovery Tour has already been announced :)

H-BOMB likes this.
  16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Be honest, how many of you climbed the Zeus statue and dangled off his “anatomically correct” parts?

17. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Oh yeah first thing I did.

timmoishere likes this.
  18. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    So I've spent a good 8,9 hours with the game now and am enjoying it!

Good things I've enjoyed, so far:
    + Kassandra. Chose her on my first playthrough and the actress is great. Somehow she's snide, sarcastic, witty, compassionate, threatening, scary, etc. Great range and believability in both writing and delivery. Plus she looks great all the time and I'm jealous of her arms.

+ The graphics in the scenery and attention to detail for recreating daily Greek life is impressive as always. One small detail I noticed is just HOW GOOD distant settlements look like at night when sailing on the water. The scale of the game world can't be 1:1 with the real world but somehow they managed to recreate that fuzzy/distant light appearance with all the torches kind of blending together/remaining distinct and separate? I don't know how to explain it. It's a small, realistic thing but they really sold it.

+ Ship combat is fun. Faster-paced than previous titles but that's okay. A lot of opportunities to upgrade and customize but not too many opportunities.

Some criticism:
    - Assassination. It doesn't feel as valuable, as too many regular enemies can't be killed outright. What usually happens is you can take a big chunk of their health off via assassination but then you still have to fight them anyway, and if you're sneaking around, everyone's going to get out and fight you - making combat skills more worth the investment, in my opinion. There are some assassination skills that increase the damage output, but in the early game, those are locked behind certain level milestones.

- I don't like the parry system during combat. It's just awkward to hit the right buttons and doesn't seem to give much payoff for doing so. Almost more worthwhile to dodge, as dodging certain attacks can add a time slowdown bonus.

- Too much loot. I appreciate the new RPG concepts but I hardly have an opportunity to stick with a weapon/armor that I really like because I'm constantly getting new stuff that's better. Since most sets are designed to aesthetically work with the other pieces of the set I often get a collection of mismatched armor. There's a way to upgrade armor pieces so that they scale with your level but it ends up being expensive and not really worth it so I usually opt in favor of just using equipment as I get it. But I wanna look good!! I feel they could have had the armor mechanics but still kept the outfit system from Origins to reduce some of the unnecessary complications.

Also, it's possible some of my negatives are solved by game mechanics that I'm just unaware of, or haven't progressed far enough to get the necessary ability. I'm only level 14 right now.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    heels1785 , PimpBacca and darkspine10 like this.
  19. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Really enjoying it went with Alexios first playthrough up to level 27 and just finished chapter 6

20. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I've just reached Athens in my Kassandra run (Chapter 4 I think), having a lot of fun (still barely used the ship though).

Just a warning to anyone with the Blind King preorder DLC: Do not loot any chests in the Ruined Sanctuary of Ajax, it permanently makes the quest incompletable. Just encountered the temple today, and I'm glad I knew to stay away beforehand. You have to wait till the quest directs you there.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Just finished AC Odyssey! :D

According to my save file, it took me 104 hours, 23 minutes, and 43 seconds to beat all 3 endings (I got the best ending for the one of them determined by choices) :) I beat all side locations (that I could find), and all quests (except for 2 annoying 'collect all the Enemy General's Seals' missions ;) [And no, sadly not Seals as in the animal :p])

I kind of did the endings in a weird order, rounding up the most impactful ending 20 hours before the other two. So I kind of ended my playthrough in a bit of a damp squib. Still, at least I have a save file at that ending, so I can always replay it now I've done the other two.

heels1785 and bizzbizz like this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Now for the most important question, darsk.

Are there any snakes in Odyssey?

darkspine10 likes this.
  23. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Yes, in pretty much every hidden tomb. They hide in the shadows and strike when you get close, but die in one hit from any weapon. Get in a big group of snakes though, and you will get butchered.

The tombs are optional, but provide valuable skill points for completion.

Plus you fight the Gorgon Medusa at one point, though the snake aspect is relatively downplayed.

But hey, at least you don't fight a giant snake like in Origins ;)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The one and only reason I have yet to play Origins. And GoW. I was braver on the day I purchased them. The one in Origins is very easy to beat though, right, because you have the golden bow?

Anyway, 1) thank you, and 2) that doesn't sound too bad - similar to FC3/5, they hide out in the world there, but they don't eat you or talk gibberish to you. :p

darkspine10 likes this.
  25. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Yeah, the snake in Origins isn't too bad, but the game also shares the 'tomb snakes' with Odyssey.

heels1785 likes this.