main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Altered title means Indy is not a "Raider"

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by waheennay, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I was thinking of the new title that they've given "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for it's DVD release. Now it's "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark". This now means Indy is separate from a being a 'Raider'. Before, the original title probably referred to everybody after the Ark including Indy. Now the "Raiders' refer to Belloq and the Nazis and Indy is apart from them.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The title is not that new. It's been around since the VHS box set issue which came out in 2000.

And your interpretation doesn't really stack up (at least not how I read it).

Huey Lewis and the News, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Eric Burden & the Animals, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

He can be with the Raiders by association. ;)

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Huey Lewis IMHO is above and beyond ANY of the News, so he, like Indiana, deserves the distinction. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I wish they hadn't altered the title.

5. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    They never really altered the title. True fans will always call it Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Just like we will always call the first 3 Star Wars movies by there true titles not Episodes IV, V, VI like Lucas is trying to do.

6. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    You mean true fans will always call it "Raiders of the Lost Ark", don't you Rob? I just call it "Raiders" anyway.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't think it makes Indy separate from the 'Raiders'. It's an Indiana Jones film... that's the only reason his name is in the title, it's not there to draw a distinction between him and everyone else. The story is about the 'Raiders', therefore everyone is a 'Raider'.

8. kirby2112

kirby2112 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2002
    Adam, that was one of the funniest things I read on hear in a long time. And I agree... the news will never live up to Huey's standards.

I also thought this was a brand new title, since I never bought the VHS version. I think it's fitting for it to be called that, even though I, also, just call it "raiders". I think he is also considered a raider of the arc. He was looking for it, wasn't he? He just didn't want it to be opened and misused....but he was still raiding. Raid on, Indy.....Raid on.

9. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    The only reason the title was changed back in the video release was and is for marketting purposes, so that all films have a similar title and it makes it more clear all 3 are part of the same series. I guess that says a lot about what studios think of the average intelect of moviegoers ;-).

In the actual film, it's still called Raiders of the Lost Ark. The extras title is just for the boxes, so officially it's still the same ol title.

10. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    It will still be known as Raiders of The Lost Ark to me.

11. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I kinda like the uniformity, myself. :)

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I've always felt that the Nazis were the raiders, not Indy.

13. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    ^Good point. Raiders=pirates=smugglers=criminals=villains.

Still, I would call it by its original title. When they alter The Goonies to "Mikey, Mouth, Chunk, Data and the Goonies", I'll still call it, The Goonies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.