main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Altering Patterns

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by across0the0stars, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    I couldn't find a thread appropriate in the listing so here goes:

how do you best alter patterns from a female pattern to fit a guy best?

2. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    I'm an odd shape so whenever I make any pattern I always make a test version in some cheap cotton or muslin so that I can put them all together and test the fit (a sewing dummy helps a lot). It wouldn't hurt to make the muslin test pieces a little bigger than you think you'll need, that way you'll have plenty of room to adjust the lines when you trim it. The best part about doing this is that you end up with a much more durable pattern (I hate taylor's paper :p) and if you decide to make the same garment again in a different material you know it will fit perfectly.

As far as adapting a female pattern in particular, I would recommend excluding.relocating darts and straitening curves around the waist and chest. You might also need to lengthen the pieces to adjust for height differences.

Good luck!

3. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    Phayze is on target. Your darts will be shallower for a man. If you have a chance, take a look at any man's suit patterns (go to any of the major patternmaker's web sites and look at the details) and you will see how much slimmer the chest to waist to hips dart is. You may also need to widen the shoulder seam and deepen the armhole (remembering to adjust the sleeve pattern to reflect the new measurement). And definitely make a muslin. Good luck.

4. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    thank you both very much! =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.