main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alternate actors for the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Joeykin_Starrunner, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeykin_Starrunner

Joeykin_Starrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    I just re-watched Indy 3 the other day and I realized that River Phoenix woulda made a great Anakin. He was the perfect Young Indy, so why not continue his participation in Lucasfilm projects and be the perfect Young Darth Vader as well? =) The only thing that I could see maybe holding him back from the role is his height...seems a little short for Vader. But other than that, he woulda fit into the role seamlessly. And judging from his body of work, he coulda pulled it off, and then some. At any rate, River Phoenix certainly was the best actor of his generation, and it's a shame that he passed away.

Now, seamless is definitely something that Hayden Christensen's Anakin was not. However, pre-AOTC, some woulda said that Hayden woulda been perfect, judging from his body of work as well (he plays troubled young men nicely), so perhaps any inconsistency in his peformance could be blamed on the director, in the case of AOTC...but that's another thread ;).

I like Hayden as Anakin, don't get me wrong. He does have some awkward line deliveries here and there, but overall I think he's a good Anakin. This is just a friendly "what if."

So who would be your "what if" choice for Anakin (alive or dead)?

2. Force_Prophet

Force_Prophet Jedi Master star 3

Apr 9, 2003
    I have always liked Hayden, most of the issue I would have from him is about the acting, but really that is the directors fault, moving on.

If there was one person I would want as Anakin besides him, it would have to be James Franco (Harry Osborn from the Spiderman movies). He captures raw emotion very well, and he is a superb actor, he would fit the character very well.

3. Darthgenius77

Darthgenius77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2005
    Of course the only way River Phoenix would have been eligable is if the movies had been made before 2000 (when the second started shooting). I thought the following people would have made great Anakins: Jonathan Jackson from General Hospital (supposedly the front runner for the part untill his name leaked); Micheal Pitt, Joshua Jackson. Of course I like Hayden as Anakin as well, and think he has done a great job in the role.

4. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    So who would be your "what if" choice for Anakin (alive or dead)?

[obvious]"He's no good to me dead."[/obvious]

While I am perfectly satisfied with Hayden's work in Episode II (yes, I realize I am in the minority), it is difficult to say how he will fare in the upcoming film. Nevertheless, that isn't the point of this thread, so as well as presenting my submission for an alternate AOTC Anakin, I will do so for his incarnation in TPM. Enjoy.

'lil Ani
    [image=http://adorocinema.cidadeinternet.com.br/personalidades/atores/jonathan-lipnicki/jonathan-lipnicki01.jpg]
    "...and they blow you up! Boom!"

Teenage angst mode
    [image=http://gfx.filmweb.pl/p/55703/po.61078.jpg]
    "I've given up trying to argue with you."

Jonathan Lipnicki as young Anakin? Elden Henson as the petulant teenage whiner? Hmmmm.....:p

5. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    ^^^

No. Just NO [face_plain]

I'm perfect with Hayden, but if I had to choose somebody else... ehhh, probably James Franco.

6. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    "No. Just NO"

I agree.

7. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I think Hayden is great but if I were allowed to use anyone in the entire history of film, Id have to go with the ultimate tortured soul, James Dean.

8. Sebulba7793

Sebulba7793 Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    I always wondered if a good pick would have been Leonardo Decaprio. Well, if nothing else, he does sorta look like an older verion of Jake Lloyd, and he has the same facial structure as the guy who played Vader when he was de-masked (Shoot, I can't remember that actor's name).

I didn't care much for Hayden Christensen at first, mostly since he doesn't look quite right for the part,
    however, since I can't go back in time and change Lucas' mind (not yet anyways), I gott admit Hayden does sort of grow on you.

9. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Hmmm, what I can see is Liam playing Obi-wan and Ewan as Anakin and having the movie start as it does. Anakin would be a lot older, but Ewan is such a good actor that I can see him pulling off the Dark Side aspects effectively. And they had excellent Master-Apprentice chemistry that it would make you sorry if you saw them fight in the end.

10. BleepsSweepsCreeps

BleepsSweepsCreeps Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    Not to mention River looked JUST like an older Jake Lloyd.

He would've been perfect!

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I was always hoping that Ben Savage of Boy Meets World fame would have been offered the part.

12. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    River would have been great in so many things. He had a lot of charisma. I think I read that they were prepping him to eventually replace Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones when he got old enough. It really is a shame.

As for young Anakin, young William Wallace from Braveheart. I don't know his name and I haven't seen him in anything else, but that was his first role and I thought he acted really well. He even had to do an accent on top of it. And there was an early concept sketch of young Anakin that looked just like him. I think he was heavily rumored to be Lucas' top pick because of that.

13. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Sorry.

There *is* no Alternative.

Hayden Christensen *is* Anakin Skywalker.

River Phoenix is dead.
    Loenardo Di... whatever.
    That other guy from SpiderMan... wasn't he in the ill-fated Freaks and Geeks?

GL made the right choice.

Just be thankful GL kept Michael Jackson from doing the voice and mannerisms of Jar Jar Binks...

You people are *so* much luckier than you think.

You have NO idea.

Seriously.

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I thought Hayden was a perfect fit.

River was the perfect young Indy. No offense to the other guys who portrayed him in the Young Indiana Jones series, but River mimicked Ford's mannerisms perfectly.

15. AaronKenobi

AaronKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I have to disagree with the poster who said Ewan could have played Anakin. Ewan physcically is perfect to play Obiwan. Watch the Becoming Obiwan Webdoc on the Official Site, they talk about how similar his facial features are to Sir Alec's(except the mole, but Ben just probably went to a dermotolgist and had it excised on Tattoine so he wouldn't get melnoma). Hayden is good but I think they could have cast someone a little taller and more muscular, I just don't no who.

16. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I thought Hayden did really well, for someone who grew up in a loving home with his mother and then forced into a whole new life where emotions were considered bad I think he is entitled to be slightly awkward when talking to Padme.

I would agree with James Dean being great for the role as he is the epitmome of 'rebel without a cause'

17. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    Hayden does a good job as Anakin.River Phoenix is very good,problem is he's no longer available.I am thinking Ryan Philippe of Cruel Intentions.Can you just imagine Ewan as Anakin? Ewan is a good actor,he'll pull it off.But Obiwan suits him best.

By the way,my dog is named River,after River Phoenix.Handsome creature that pooch.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't mind Hayden at all.

However, an alternative for me would be Shane West.

[image=http://www.dazzlingstarz.com/shanewest/pictures/shane/shane_west_25.jpg] [image=http://www.gmax.co.za/feel/11/pics/06-shanewest.jpg] [image=http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10102000/10102558.jpg]

He has the Han Solo cockiness and arrogance, and the dark aura.

19. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    Actually now that you mention it, Shane West could've been a good choice in the looks and attitude department... the only problems that I can spot are A Walk To Remember fangirls. :p

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    ^
    [face_laugh]

That's a possiblity, but it wouldn't have been worse than if Leonardo was Anakin.

Besides, it's not like Natalie Portman doesn't draw her own crowd of fanboys.

21. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    "I was always hoping that Ben Savage of Boy Meets World fame would have been offered the part"

lol Are you kidding? please tell me you are.

22. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    I always thought Stephen Dorff of Blade. He is alittle cocky and has an edge, but he still is sort of a pretty boy.

I thought Hayden was all wrong in AOTC, but seeing the previews for ROTS, I think Lucas now made a great decision. He looks like he is comfortable making the transition to evil Anakin.

23. BleepsSweepsCreeps

BleepsSweepsCreeps Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    No need to get offended people, he said it himself that it was just a friendly "what if". No one thinks Hayden has done a bad job, myself included

However, I agree with the poster in that I think River Phoenix would have been the PERFECT Anakin. We know he's got the acting chops, not to mention he could pass for an aged Jake Lloyd quite easily.

Here, look at this pic:
    http://www.twinkle.com.hk/photo/photoh/phorp028.jpg

He really would have been the ideal choice.

Just for kicks, I also thought that Russell Crowe could have made a great Obi Wan. He resembles Alec Guiness quite a bit:

http://www.celebrity-exchange.com/celebs/photos26/russell-crowe.jpg

Before anyone blows their stack, I'm not bashing Ewan. He's done a fantastic job. This (like the poster said) is just a friendly "what if".

24. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I nominate myself for the role of Anakin. I can be an angry pissed-off teenager, I'm also as tall as David Prowse is so no need to worry about the height issue.

25. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Hayden is a perfect Anakin, but Shane West as Anakin sounds good to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.