main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Alternate History novels!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by EDKRIEG, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Was at Balticon-local Baltimore SF convention and saw a few books dealing with Alternate History or What if.First, is a book by New Gingrich and William Fortschen on Pearl Harbor.Believe it is Pearl Harbor - a novel of December 8th.WI things were slightly different before the attack.Another book is called Macarthur's War by a man named Niles who wrote a WI about Rommel called Fox at the Front.In the MacArthur book-no A-bomb is dropped and Operation Olympic is started.A third book is by Katherine Goonan dealing with a new element or thing found in WW2 which leads to events changing a certain tragic event in November 1963.The years become most different.Try these books!

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    If you like that kind of book, definitely look into 'SS-GB' by Len Deighton and 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris. Both are about a post WWII world where the Germany won. I prefer the first to the second but they're both good books.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Probably the best Alternate History novel I've ever read is Guns of the South by, you guessed it, Harry Turtledove.

4. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    The only problem I have with Guns is the time traveling element. Sure, introduce AK-47s into the mix and you are going to have a vastly different outcome in the Civil War. I'd like to see an alternate history novel that considers what if the South had won at Gettysburg and Vicksburg...what would have happened from that point?

An interesting film for alternate history is CSA.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    An interesting film for alternate history is CSA.

I had wanted to see that film, but never got the chance:(

6. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    It's really pretty interesting. What's amazing are the real products that are parodied in the film.

7. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Then you should try the other Harry Turtledove book How Few Remain which shows a victorius South fighting another war with the North in the 1880s.

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I really love Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card. It's in this vein of alternate history and is riveting to read.

9. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Card's Alvin Maker series might also fall into this category.

10. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    I'm really enjoying the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, which would be classified as alternate history. Think Napoleonic Wars meets Eragon. (Yes, I was skeptical at first, too, but the books are brilliantly written.)

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I was disappointed with Guns of the South as I thought it would be "authentic" and the South could win on it's own merits.

My fave alternate history is Philip K. Dick's "The Man in the High Castle", IMHO his best novel.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Eric Flint's Assiti Shards Multiverse is worth checkingout if you like AH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.