main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alternate history Stories/novels!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by EDKRIEG, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    What are your favorite What If stories or Alternate history stories?How about Harry Turtlledove's World War tetrology or his recently concluded two part series dealing with an Alternate Pearl Harbor.First title was Days of Infamy.Japanese sink the american carriers and invade and hold Hawaii in volume 1.There is a web site called Alternate history.com Discussion where there was a discussion on its Books, movies, etc board!How about it?What are your favorites?

2. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Darn put it on the wrong board.However-there was a movie called Fatherland with Rutger Hauer in which the Third Reich still existed.I think USA Cable network is planning a TV series about a victorious Conmfederacy.I should have said-what are movies you'd like to see with an AH theme-Man in the high Castle, for instance?

3. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I've got mixed feelings about Turtledove. I enjoyed the Worldwar Tetralogy, How Few Remain, the Great War Trilogy and the World at War series (superb fantasy writing if you ask me), but I felt his work got a bit too cliche and PC with Colonization and American Empire. Still, Turtledove's work is a step above the infamous Draka works by S.M. Stirling.

EDIT: This is a pretty good topic, but I didn't notice it was in the wrong forum. Just post the literary stuff in the other forum, Ed.

As far as AH is concerned in film, you can consider Independence Day alt-history, but only loosely. The Back to the Future films dealt with alternate history, but only in small doses. There really hasn't been a lot of dedication to AH in film for really grand projects because some of them just wouldn't be very PC, such as Nazis winning WWII or the CSA winning the American Civil War. AH is better suited for literature because it can dodge PC ramifications a lot easier.

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Alternate history is definitely a genre I could see myself getting interested in, however I've not read any. Apart from not knowing where to start, I'm a little worried the stuff will be rather hackneyed, like Trek and SW EU. My only real experience, beyond Trek episodes that have delved into the scenario is the Rutger Hauer film, about the Nazis winning WW2. It was set 30 or so years later, and was set around Hitler's 80th Birthday, and a loyal nazi (Hauer) discovered info about the concentration camps, which had apparently been hidden. It seemed like a hugely wasted opportunity to me, and put me off a little.

So, where should I begin?

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Sliders used to deal with alternate history quite a bit. The it turned into "movie-spoof of the week" and I started to loose interest. But the pilot episode dealt with the Cuban Missile Crisis escalating into the Cuban War and the Soviets invading America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.