main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Alternate logo design for Ep. VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by KitsterAKABobaFett, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I'm curious to see how they're going to market Episode VII in terms of design, especially the title logo. Since the Prequels, the standard has been this format...

[​IMG]

And I'm sure when they package the saga all together, they will probably stick to that (or perhaps an all-new format?), but I wonder if we're also going to get any cool alternate logos specific to each episode, like with the OT...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wouldn't mind some interesting retro logos for each ST episode to continue the tradition of the OT, or at least something new. What do you hope or expect for with the marketing and logos?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Whatever it will be it needs a Disney logo now. :p

3. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Yeah, and it will be interesting to see if the epiosde # is still so heavily emphasized, as it was with the prequels.
    A part of my thinks it might be, particularly since now Disney is also doing spin-off films and they'll want to clearly differentiate between the episodic films and the spin-offs.

Revanfan1 and KitsterAKABobaFett like this.
  4. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I like the old school looks, but for the sequel trilogy I hope they stick with the episodic logo format as established by the prequel trilogy.

Revanfan1 and Vicious Jedi like this.
  5. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    They may continue to feature the episode number as the largest part of the title but perhaps they won't. They could feel that this is a new beginning of sorts - it doesn't follow on directly from Eps I-III and there's a 30 year gap between Ep VII and it's predecessor - a film that was (and is) known mainly as ROTJ rather than Ep VI. So it may be felt that it being the seventh episode is not important in itself and it may also be felt that getting into higher numbers risks it looking ike 'yet another sequel', which may put people off. The PT had the numbers because it was important to show the audience it was Episode I, the beginning, and the others just followed on. But a post-ROTJ sequel may not need that, although the numbers would help to identify and place this trilogy after the other two.

I think they will want to mark this as the start of a new trilogy and so may downplay the episode number in the marketing, but that will also depend on what the title is. If the title is bold enough to stand on its own then they may not need the support of the number so much.

As for the logo, it may well be the case that the title will be short and have three words ("A/The Something Something"). If the words are short like A New Hope then the logo may be like the 'Star Wars' one shown above (I don't think there was a specific ANH logo that got widely used since the title only came later). If the words are longer though, that design might not look so good and it may be more like the PT logos.

KitsterAKABobaFett likes this.
  6. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I think "Star Wars" and the subtitle should be bigger than "Episode VII". Other than that, I think the prequel posters were great and I would love to see that style continued.

Here's a very quick and dirty mock up I made on my phone just to show you what I was thinking, minus the proper "Star Wars" font (also, A New Dawn was just the first thing that sprung to mind.)

[​IMG]

7. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm a fan of Struzan but IMHO the PT posters were kind of uninspired (though that may not be his fault). Compare them to the OT posters which were much more dynamic and iconic--the PT posters feel generic, the best being the TPM teaser.

And that's the problem with the PT logos as well: too generic. The logo for ESB is seared into people's minds. For AOTC? Not so much. "Episode VII" needs to feature somewhere, but make the name of the film front-and-centre.

Satipo likes this.
  8. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    The Empire logo is amazing. That is all.

9. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    Better version. Call me biased, but I quite like it:

[​IMG]

My phones about to die, but if someone wants to make one like this where the subtitle font is the same as Star Wars, I'd love to see it!

SgtTimBob, I agree actually :p

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm kind of hoping they go old school on us.

11. SgtTimBob

Jun 5, 2014
    God I hope the title is not A New Dawn. :p

Han Burgundy likes this.
  12. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I always quite liked the retro version of Attack of the Clones which I don't think was widely used but was very cool. Hope to see a downplay of the episode numbers.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  13. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Seeing as the title was recently rumoured to be The Ancient Fear I imagine words like dawn (which generally have positive associations) will be out as the final title will probably have a dark focus - assuming the rumour is on the money.

14. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    "A New Dawn" is already taken anyway.

Dewback and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah...not gonna happen.

[​IMG]

16. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013

Every discussion must detour in a "that's the problem with the PT" argument? I'm getting sick of it.
    On topic, would be very cool to have some graphic identity for this new trilogy that involves the whole 9 chapters at the end.

17. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007

With the PT, I feel like most casual Star Wars fans remember the Episode numbers over their actual titles. I've probably heard more people refer to them more as "Episode I," "Episode II" and "Episode III" than "The Phantom Menace," "Attack of the Clones" or "Revenge of the Sith." But I doubt they're calling ANH, ESB, and ROTJ by their episode numbers.

I do think the title should be priority over the episode number, but I'm afraid the ball might already be rolling the other way. Everyone has known this movie as "Episode VII" for a while now, and it still doesn't have a title, despite the news rolling in. It might turn out like the Batman vs. Superman movie, which everyone was calling it that and then the official title, "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" made it seem like they just said "well, that's what everyone's calling it, so might as well not rock the boat" when it could have been the much more powerful "World's Finest." (sigh... But that's another argument...)

They could overcome all that by either having an awesome title that grabs your attention or playing the episode number down in favor of the title. I'm hoping for both.

18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The OP differentiated the PT and OT logos--that's the whole point of the discussion and has nothing to do with the quality of the PT itself. Frankly, poster art in general has become dull in the last 15 years, and if anything the PT posters were rather nice compared to the rest of the dreck out there. But the bar is pretty low. TPM's logo wasn't bad but it was its reuse for AOTC and ROTS that got boring.

19. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
    I get your point. I was refering to your comment that textually reads "...that's the problem with the PT (insert here whatever you want)..." as seen in countless PT bashing posts. If the graphic continuity of the logos is an issue for you I can understand it and respect it, but not everybody have trouble with it.

20. SgtTimBob

Jun 5, 2014
    That's the problem with the PT. Some people don't like the logos. :p

HugoWanKenobi and vinsanity like this.
  21. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    Last one I'm making, damn lines took me way too long... I'm no professional.

[​IMG]

I think it would be great to see something in the vein of this. A combination of retro, prequel era, and modern aesthetics. Something that says "this is a new era, but it's the same saga."

22. SgtTimBob

Jun 5, 2014
    Sorry to be that guy, but it's 'ancient' not 'anchent' :p

23. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    The font generator I used was glitched. It turns I's into H's. I tried to type "VII" and it came out as "RHH" [face_bleh]

24. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    I really do hope they go with the retro style with the logo, this is something I have been thinking about recently. With the prequels it was important to establish that they were taking place before the originals, but now, it's not so necessary, especially if they are trying to distance themselves somewhat from the prequels and have more of an OT vibe. And let's face it, it's a new Star Wars film. If you're a bit confused about it taking place after ROTJ, then you have probably been living under a rock for the past couple of decades and aren't the sort of person who is likely to go see the film in the first place.

Give the public /some/ credit, I mean they don't need to give the Marvel Cinematic Universe episode numbers in order for people to figure out the chronology.

25. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I have that font too. I think you just type it in lkwer case and it does it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.