main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alternate Lord of the Rings Music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Came across this today -- I was unaware it had even existed. Apparently this Doug Adams fellow was allowed to examine all of Howard Shore's rough draft and alternate material for the LOTR films and compiled a collection of some of the cut edits (the music CD was released with The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films book as a "rarities" track). Several are on Youtube. I'm usually not a fan of "alternate" soundtracks because they rarely differ from the original (a few extra notes here or there... who cares?), but these tracks are differ fairly significantly from the originals at times.

For example -- here's the prologue to FOTR, but with the Gondor theme (~2 min in). Apparently Shore decided to relegate it to ROTK sometime before Fellowship's release.

And here's a much more... epic-singy... version of the End of All Things/Mount Doom tracks from ROTK:

There are many more out there. They're worth taking a gondor at. I mean a gander.

QuangoFett and Han Burgundy like this.