main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Alternate" RPG systems.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Darth_Diehard, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Diehard

Darth_Diehard Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2001
    I didn't see this topic brought up before, so I decided to start it.

For those of you out there who want to get into RPGs but either don't want to spend money on a bunch of books or just want to test the water, this is for you...

There are a number of free RPGs on the net.
    Most are Alternative systems that don't use d20 or d6, and have developed their own engine. With a bit of work, most can be twigged to run Star Wars or any other genre.
    The creaters in most cases just wanted an RPG that they could enjoy, and have spent hours developing, fully working, and supported systems for downloading, all for free.

I'm sure that there will be someone who can elaborate on what I've said, but right now, I can recommend some sites for you to try.
    Just give them a try.

Just Another Gaming System(JAGS)

Vangard Free Roleplaying

Freeform, Universal, Do-it yourself Gaming Engine(FUDGE)

Have fun!
    :D

2. Darth_Diehard

Darth_Diehard Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2001
  3. Cesar-Marzullo

Cesar-Marzullo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2001
    Xanthius Fantasy Arts is actually working on a D10 engine for both the universe of Wing Commander and Star Wars (since they are, in some ways, in common). Be interesting if they get it to work, but they need help developing.

Cesar Marzullo

4. Jedi_nz

Jedi_nz Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2000
    I actuall designed a mostly simple, fast paced system that I used to run my campaign with this year. It's quite popular with my players, who prefer it to both the WestEnd Games classic and the new D&D-In-Space version by Wizards of the Cash. If anyone is interest in taking a looksee, drop me a line and I's send a copy (I don't have it online yet.)

5. Cesar-Marzullo

Dec 11, 2001
    I won't mind checking it out, man. I like gametesting and such. I wish I could get a job that let me do that all day long.

Cesar Marzullo

6. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Two systems I think woiuld be good for Star Wars are the original Mike Pondscum, er, Pondsmith's 'Mekton' from 1985, and strangely enough, 'Big Eyes, Small Mouths' or the updated 'Tenchi Muyo' variant.

Original Mekton's only flaw is that it can't handle capital ships. Big Eyes suffers from the problem that no one takes it seriously.

7. Cesar-Marzullo

Dec 11, 2001
    I haven't hear of any of those. Where can I find them or are they even around on the Internet anymore?

Cesar-Marzullo

8. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

The origional Mekton and its beautiful cascade skill system are no more. It has been replaced by Mekton II and Mekton Zeta, and while the system still works, it's become way too complex for giant anime robots it had been developed emulate. It's a game I love so much I can run it out of my head.

As for Big Eyes, Small Mouths and Tenchi Moyu, find their web site here Guardians of Order

9. Cesar-Marzullo

Dec 11, 2001
    Kewl, thanks.

Cesar-Marzullo

10. Theophilus

Theophilus Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2002
    I've actually been working on a Star Wars conversion of the Shadowrun 3rd Ed. rules. It's a great system for modelling ranged combat, and has an excellent magic system as well. I had to re-work the melee combat, because the standard one is pretty weak. Decking sucks IMO, and I've dropped it. I'm still working on developing a decent vehicle combat system, though it looks like I'm going the hex map route, ripping off Mech Warrior in some respects. Should be interesting...

11. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    I play here:

Star Wars: A New Threat MUSH as Avery Starre. Its a really fun game, once you get the hang of it. People are always playing!

12. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

I have this alergic reaction to MUDs, MUSHs, PBEMs, etc. I guess having spent 18 years doing it face to face or even on the phone has spoiled me.

Still, to each their own, if it's what works, then great.

13. JediKnight1221

JediKnight1221 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    Actually my friends and I play this one version which is very different than Star Wars. I am guessing everyone here has heard of White Wolf gaming. Well we added one more type of critter to the mix. Jedi. It takes place in the modern world but the Jedi are around. If anyone wants more details to this please let me know.

14. DarkTreader

DarkTreader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Originally designed for use with a Final Fantasy PBeM, the Returner system is a really good bet. It can be adapted for use with almost any game, using points for character creation (instead of dice), and the GMs handle all of the combat particulars.

The original site isn't up anymore (that I can find), but I've got a copy of the rules in Word format if anyone wants them.

15. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    Long live FUDGE! :) A friend of mine actually is co-author of the Dernyi system coming out soon based on this, and she's cooked up a simple super-hero system that she's working on an article for. I think that SW would work really well in that system.

I don't know about Big Eyes, Small Mouths, though. Maybe because I didn't put as much effort into learning the system as I might have, so I don't know how easy it would be to customize it. Which is silly, because that's exactly what it was designed to do. :) It did seem pretty straightforward. Although, according to my GM, character generation is TOUGH, because there's a lot of factors to consider.

16. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Ping been a long time since I've seen you around.

Anyway I've been trying to get a superhero RPG goin for a while, just haven't found a system I like yet. If your friend needs anymore testers, or just wouldn't mind letting someone look obver their system, I'd love to try it.

17. Ping

Nov 23, 1998
    Bob!!! HI!!!

*ahem*

I don't know how far along she is in actually typing up the rule, but I'll check and let you know. :)

18. Ping

Nov 23, 1998
    Okay, Bob, I gave her your email, so she should be getting back to you. :)

I should probably say something on-topic, huh? Um, well, I can't really think of anything else. :)

19. BoB

Jul 8, 1998
    Thanks alot. Got the email.

Actually I'm kind of excited about getting this. My friends have been wanting to start this for some time now.

20. BoB

Jul 8, 1998
    Since one of the players is reading this, yet not posting, I just wanted you to know that after last nights talk I'm Monkeyboy is so going to be a villian.

21. Ping

Nov 23, 1998
    I really like the Simply Super system. It's very slick, very flexible, and pretty intuitive.

We're still hashing out the initiative system, but I think a lot of it is because some of the people in the group we have are being dorks about it, rather than that it actually needs to be fixed. But you'll have to give her good feedback on that. :)

I'm actually going to be using Fudge rules to create a Quidditch game. Very simplistic, of course. :)

(I'd just program it, but I can't seem to remember any Pascal, and so I'm going to have to teach myself something else first.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.