main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alternate shot of Obi-Wan (ANH) in Revenge of the Sith teaser

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Crazy_Old_Kermit, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy_Old_Kermit

Crazy_Old_Kermit Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    Does anyone know where the shot comes from of Obi-Wan speaking in the Revenge of the Sith teaser?

From A New Hope:

[a wide shot of C-3PO deactived, Luke using the lightsaber, and Ben sitting next to him]

Obi-Wan: For over a thousand generations the Jedi knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.

From the Revenge of the Sith teaser:

[a shot Luke walking towards the sunset]

Obi-Wan (voice-over): For over a thousand generations...

[a close up of Ben]

Obi-Wan: ...the Jedi knights were the guardians of peace and justice

[a close up of Qui-Gon]

Obi-Wan (voice-over: ...in the Old Republic.

That close up of Ben in the Revenge of the Sith teaser...where did that come from? It's obvious the people behind it edited his lines from A New Hope, but are there alternate takes available like that close up of Ben? It still looks well preserved, which might lead one to believe alternate takes/deleted scenes are likely to be available in the future? Maybe?

2. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    Without checking out the footage perhaps they just zoomed in on his face of the ANH version to get the ROTS version. Or as you say, there could have been another angle shot at the time and placed in the archives. That's certainly not out of the question.

3. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    There's usually excessive camera angles for every scene in a movie and Star Wars is no exception I'm sure. Especially given the fact that Lucas likes to shoot with two cameras. The outtakes on the DVD documentary were fairly well preserved, so if the trailer editors needed an extra shot of Guinness a bit of digital scratch removal is all that is really needed to restore it (the fact that all of the shots in the flashback section of the trailer are treated to a washed-out sepeia-like tint also hides some flaws I'm sure).

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    They also tend to flip the frames quite a bit too. I can't compare the two right now but my guess would be either a close-up, a flip-frame, or both. I had never picked up on a difference before, so it can't be too different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.