main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alternitive Jedi costume?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Master_Kiona, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Kiona

Master_Kiona Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    O.K., I've been tossing around the idea in my head for a couple months now about making a very unterditional style Jedi costume... I love thier cloaks (except that they're brown... I hate brown! lol)and the belts are great, actually, the only thing I really don't like is the tunics.. I really really don't like the way they look on girls... (no offence! thats just my opinion)Anyway, anybody have any alternitive ideas?? I still want it to look Jedish - but without the bulky tunics.. Is that even possible??

2. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    There are some interesting pictures in the Star Wars Roleplaying Game books. You might find something interesting there. Technically, Jedi can dress as they choose once they are a Padawan. Examples of "non-traditional" styles are seen in Episode II: Aayla Secura, Luminara Unduli, Barriss Offee, etc.

Color variation is the simplest way to change things up. As to the tunics, perhaps something more Chinese in style (like with the banded collars and so forth) instead of or in addition to the Japanese style prevalant in the current style of traditional robes. I like the idea of a buttoned, banded collared shirt with full sleeves, fitted from the elbow to the wrist. This would look great with the tabbards and obi and utility belt.

Robes can be varied as well: hooded cloaks, ponchos, and other styles in stead of the traditional robe (patterned as a Moroccan Jalaba)...

Really there are no limitations...

--Kai

3. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Oooo Ideas. Oh my. <Rubs hands together>

If this keeps up, my Jedi outfits will out number my street clothing. I have a chiense Cheongsam dress. It has a madrin collar, frog closures, goes to my ankles, but split all the way up to the hips.(Yeah gotta' wear leggings under this thing.) I like the style the traditional Vitenamiese AoDai, would look sweet for a Jedi tunic.

4. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I am working on one with a silk tunic like shirt and heavy satin robe, it really is not the least bit traditional (so far anyway). Not sure about the pants yet, most of the feedback that I received when I first started is there are no rules, make it what you want and how you want.......(unless you are a purest)

I also have pull over linen/cotten shirt that is pleated and cut much like the Jedi tunics, I have seen them quite often at several different stores.....buy a size larger than normal, as mine shrunk alot! Good Luck!

5. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Look at the costume that Qui-Gon Jinn does training duels with Obi-Wan. That's a costume that goes away from tradition, also, that's what I'm gonna make, but in different colors, and with a cloak.

6. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Kev, Have you a picture? I don't know if I'd seen it or not.

Mynn

7. Master_Kiona

Master_Kiona Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    can you post a pic?? it sounds interesting... Thanks for all the other ideas!!!! the Barriss Offee really intriuges me.. :) Keep is coming...

8. PixelPictures

PixelPictures Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2002
    Hey dude, why dont you go by some of the original ideas for the jedi costumes in the Art of Star Wars Episode 1 and 2 books they have designs of anakin with different a different looking jedi costume on. There are some really good designs in the episode 2 book with a female sith lord, its really cool. Well hope this helps:D

Jonathan

9. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    the Barriss Offee really intriuges me..

I already did the Barriss Offee Costume before the movie came out for the same reason as you, ergular Jedi clothing is just bulky and big and annoying! (I have a sith costume thats about 9 layers around the stomach.. its bulky!)

The Barriss Offee costume is cool because the only thing you really have to make is the robe and skirt. The rest you can buy!

10. jordankarr

jordankarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2002
    I have always looked at a jedi and said the robes where too stuffy... It should not matter what you ware its how you present yourself as a Jedi. Even creating a varation of the robes can add flavor to an over done Costume.

Look at the Imperial Royal Guard. They all ware a cloak that is only open on the right side. Yet then the Crimson Empire Royal Guard switch to a two arm cloak. Some of the Guard Costumers are switching to the two arm cloak for variation.

I know personaly when I get my Cloak fininshed I am going for the two arm version. I like having the use of both arms.

As for Jedi. I think Luke's Blacks are a good change from the Robes. Other Chararcters from the EU could provide some insite. Mara Jade, every image you see of her she is not in the robes. Kyle Katan never once dawns the robes, Even lucasfilms archive imges on the Jedi Order shows a man bearded man in full armor.

Just spice it up some. If we all wore the robes we would look the same. A jedi is know by his weapon of choice. Not by some silly flowing robe...

As you can see I dislike the robes... A hooded cloak ok... but not all the garb...

Thats my two cents on the subject...

Later all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.