PT Always 2, no more no less..

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    No, it's canon. Not movie canon, but canon nonetheless.
  2. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    The animated series is T-canon, which is only one step below the movies, which are G-canon. I don't much like the idea of Maul's survival myself, but it's a part of the story now, so there's nothing we can do about it.
  3. HevyDevy Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I prefer to believe that when Anakin and Dooku meet in ROTS, they haven't fought since AOTC ("My powers have doubled since the last time we met count").
    Also that Maul is completely dead. I may be biased because I haven't watched an episode of TCW, but I've seen the TCW movie, and prefer to ignore the changes. Anakin's line, and a lot of ROTS works better this way...
  4. EHT Manager: New Films

Manager
    star 5
    I like some episodes of TCW, some I didn't like, and many I haven't seen (and I hate the idea of Maul's return). Regardless, since it's a lower level of canon, it seems that we should still feel free to disregard it or parts of it.
  5. Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Master

star 2
    It is canon. From an article at http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/59055-lucas-resurrects-darth-maul:

"This is Star Wars, and I don?t make a distinction between [Clone Wars] and the films," Lucas said in an interview released by SciFiNow - a science-fiction enthusiast magazine based in the UK, seemingly implying that the events of Clone Wars are top canon, which makes some sense considering how closely Lucas himself has been working on the series."

""The decision to continue Darth Maul?s story was something that came directly from George," says Dave Filoni, Supervising Director of Star Wars: The Clone Wars."

Not to mention the fact that the OS has been posting updates regarding The Clone Wars and Maul's return to the main page and making a huge deal about it. Even the official Databank on the OS reflects events of The Clone Wars.

The Clone Wars surpasses the criteria for being simply T-canon. George Lucas himself has overseen and come up with many of the story ideas, and has publicly stated this.

6. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Not every discussion needs to turn into a debate over canon...

In any case, I have a problem with the logic behind the rule of two (or guideline of two, or whatever it should be called). Given enough time, it'll eventually happen that both Sith will die together. If nothing else, there will eventually be a duel to the death in which both succeed at killing the other. It seems to me the risk of total loss of Sith knowledge is much greater than any risk of discovery or strife that comes with having a few extra adherents around.
  7. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    Amen to that. Although if you read carefully what the interview says, it speaks only of Lucas "seemingly implying" something to that effect, so that's mostly their interpretation of what he said.

For anyone who is only familiar with the movies, there is no reason to believe that Darth Maul didn't die, just like there's no real reason to think that Boba Fett didn't die in ROTJ. But that's just the casual viewers, or very casual fans who don't keep up with EU or know about those debates.

Well that's the kind of point that I guess may have been addressed in the EU. Just judging from the movies, however, it's what gives the saga a satisfying conclusion - knowing that there are no more Sith lords (as far as what we are shown *in the movies*), therefore one can plausibly think that the Sith lords never again challenged the Jedi in GFFA.

If you get into EU, then there's the obvious need to have a strong enemy, or something that can seem like a serious menace for the good guys. ;)
  8. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I don't think you need a rule of two for the conclusion of the OT to work. Before we saw that first trailer for TPM in which Yoda's "always two" line was revealed, didn't many (most?) of us assume it was possible for there to be lesser Sith out there, lackeys who were answerable to Vader and Palpatine? But if those lackeys didn't have enough knowledge or skill to carry on the Sith on their own, they were still effectively destroyed.

--- WARNING - EU REFERENCE - DO NOT READ IF THIS WILL INCITE CANON WAR :p ---
    Mara Jade's fate in EU is exactly what I had imagined happened to any other Sith out there.
  9. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    Well, yeah, what happens at the end of ROTJ is that the two Sith lords have effectively destroyed each other and Luke has resisted the lure of the dark side. Since, from what we have seen in the movies, there are no other Sith who would pose a threat to the New Republic and any new Jedi Order, it can be safely assumed that the story has ended where it should - Anakin has indeed brought balance to the Force, as the prophecy said.

It's the kind of thing that maybe the casual viewer won't think about from the first viewing, but if they watch the movies a couple more times, maybe it will make sense... always two there are, until a day when the two are gone.

Makes sense when you look at the movies as self-contained stories, imho.
  10. Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Master

star 2
    So you're only a casual viewer/fan? Also, it should be noted that the OS treats The Clone Wars as being on the same level as the films.
  11. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    Well, I would definitely like to be able to enjoy the movies much the same way as casual fans, because they're the ones who seem to have the most fun watching them!! ;)

And, yes, I'm aware about the OS stuff. That's just a marketing decision, as far as I'm concerned. You should still be able to enjoy the films on their own, without having to know every little detail about stuff that happens outside the movies. And you should still be able to interpret things from the movies in the way that makes the most sense to you, based on the movies alone.

The CW and EU stuff is for the fans who want more. Sometimes it's kind of fun to look at that stuff, but I can't expect it to be as satisfying as the films.

12. Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Master

star 2
    Hmmm. I suppose it's personal preference. I personally find the EU more interesting than the films!
  13. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    Yes, it is. I did enjoy "Shadows of the Empire" when it first came out, but after that, I haven't really gotten into it much. Maybe some day I'll give EU stuff another try. :)
  14. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The way it goes which is both Lucas canon and EU canon, there was many Sith and they did wipe each other out along with the damage the Jedi inflicted in that last conflict. Darth Bane was the one who slipped through the cracks and that's why he kept himself and his Apprentice hidden for years. To prevent the Jedi from taking them out, while ensuring that there would be two Sith at a time. As noted, what happened in ROTJ was the end result of two Sith Lords vying for a third and the unexpected twist that one of them would become good again. Thereby finishing what was started one thousand years earlier. Something that Bane never foresaw.
  15. son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost

star 4
    Pretty sure that Lucas said Palps alreadys had Maul before he actually killed Plagieus. So it's kinda hard to blame the EU for that.
  16. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Well, the issue is that now there are three Darths at a certain point in time. In the presumed original scenario, Maul wasn't a Darth until after Plagueis was dead.
  17. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    I had always been under the impression that Plagueis had died right around the time Anakin was born. So much for that idea.

Now, granted, I haven't read DP yet, but it's possible that Maul wasn't even aware of Plagueis' existence, being the single-minded killing machine that he was. Maul's MO was to obey Sidious, kill Jedi, and be the best physical specimen he could be. Anything outside that was irrelevant to Maul.
  18. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    I would tend to agree, but Luceno also wrote this.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.