Beyond Always III: In the Morning (drama, fantasy, romance) COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Trickster_Jaina_Fel, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Always III: In the Morning
    By Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Disclaimer
    : Any recognizable planet, character or organized group belongs to George Lucas. Na?Lein?yhpaon, OC?s, the Kavishka prophecy, etc, belong to me. If you wish to use ANY of them, you must ask first. I am making no money from this; please don?t sue.
    Summary: When her nephew and news of her home planet arrive, Sanar knows it is time for her to step into the story Devnos told her was true. She returns to Na?Lein?yhpaon with a group of people, including Kyp Durron ? the Kavishka ? by her side to put an end to Jir?s evil regime. Meanwhile, on the other side of life, Devnos Klis is frantic to prevent a secret, dangerous aspect of the prophecy from coming true?
    Genre(s): drama, romance, fantasy, action, angst
    Keywords: prophecy, oppression, heroes
    Author?s Note: This is part 3 of the ?Always? trilogy. It is the sequel of Caught in the Rain, which in turn is the sequel of Return of the Jedi. If you want to read this, I highly recommend that you read the first two parts. If you don?t wish to, I would suggest reading ?Caught in the Rain? at least. I will do my best to cover the important points, but background reading will supply something a summary cannot. If you need a summary of the two previous fics, PM me.
    AN2: I will be doing a little playing around with time in this fic, but I promise to keep things clear, and refrain from changing from point to point on the timeline too much. The future (about a year and a half ahead of the main story) will be in bold, and the ?normal? story will be regular text.
    Thanks (and/or blame ;)): To Mel (for the names), and to my readers. I wouldn?t have let myself get so carried away if it wasn?t for your reviews and support. This fic is the last one. Really. ?Okay, so maybe there?s a short story or two after, just to wrap things up. But this is the last novel :p
    Right.

Dramatis Personae

Main Characters:
    Devnos Klis ? male; scribe of the Kavishka prophecy; Sanar?s brother (deceased)
    Kyp Durron ? male; Jedi Master; the Kavishka
    Lerasina Verili ? female; a.k.a. Lera
    Nichyn Whilem ? male; teenage son of Clayra and Gantik Whilem
    Sanar Klis ? female; freed Imperial slave; daughter of Jarran Klis

Others:
    Alon - male; Na'Lein military general
    Arelyk Rym ? male; Jedi apprentice; friend of Lera
    Braun Yd ? male; cargo shipper; married to Veras
    Caesarea Klis ? female; mother of Devnos, Sanar and Clayra
    Cerasy Lee-droy ? female; bounty hunter; married to Tiran Lee-droy
    Clayra Whilem ? female; sister of Sanar Klis; wife of Gantik
    Dara - female; fighter in Mujir's Resistance
    Dejah Salin ? female; fighter in Mujir?s Resistance
    Élin ? female; a maid and novice in Niha?s care
    Gaffil Jir ? male; Rafintair?s brother and second-in-command
    Gantik Whilem ? male; husband of Clayra
    Geneva Tal ? female; leader of Mujir?s Resistance
    Hasi Ov ? female; friend of Lera and Arelyk
    Isra ? female; fighter in the Mujir Resistance
    Jaina Solo ? female; Jedi Knight
    Jarran Klis ? male; father of Devnos, Sanar and Clayra; failed/former Kavishka (deceased)
    Jolesp Fig ? male; friend of Lera and Arelyk
    Krista Harif ? female; former Intelligence operative; of many trades
    Miko Reglia ? male; Jedi Knight
    Niha ? female; an elderly seer in Mujir's service
    Rafintair Jir ? male; Holy Emperor of Na?Lein?yhpaon
    Shanya Rym ? female; Jedi Knight; Arelyk?s mother
    Teigra Bel ? female; fighter in Mujir?s Resistance
    Tenel Ka Chume Ta? Djo ? female; Queen Mother of the Hapes Consortium
    Tiran Lee-droy ? male; Jedi Knight; married to Cerasy
    Veras Yd ? female; bounty hunter; married to Braun
    Zuleika Rym ? female; older s
  2. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Steals first post.

EDIT:

It has begun! Mortal Kombat!

Last novel? Ah, well. At least you didn't rule out the possibility of vignetees and short stories.

Tenel Ka's in the dramatis personae? The heck?
  3. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Prologue

Jarran Klis waited on the shore of the River for his son. It had been a long time, even in Death, but not long enough.

He had not wanted to see his son in the Land of the Dead for many more years, but it could not be helped. Destiny had her way with all of them, and she had few favourites. Jarran had given up on hoping that he might one day join the group of those she loved; that way was reserved for others, who were as removed from his universe as unicorns and centaurs.

In the centre of the River, there was a ripple against the current, and then Devnos appeared from the waist up, blinking around him. Jarran felt his face break into a smile, and he rushed impatiently further ahead, until his ankles were in the River.

For a moment, Devnos accepted his new existence without question, as he should?rare was the person who recognized and refused Death?s gentle forgetfulness.

But then? Jarran knew the exact moment Devnos recognized everything, and the second he stepped back, horrified. ?No! No?I? No!?

Premonition crept along Jarran?s skin, but he pushed it away, refusing to acknowledge the idea. ?Devnos,? he breathed, then called his son?s name more loudly.

Devnos? head snapped up, and for a moment he wavered. ?Father.? So much shame, guilt and love in that word.

Jarran opened his arms, and felt the grateful tears trace the lines of his face. Until now, he had not realized how much he missed his family. ?My son. Come!?

But Devnos? hesitation had left him, and his feet remained firmly in the River. ?I will not,? and Devnos? voice was very cold, ?leave Sanar to fall victim to Prophecy.?

?You can?t stop it,? Jarran told him, pleading with his son to understand, and to give up his futile hopes. ?Sanar will play her part, and??

?
    And she will hate it!? Devnos screamed back.

Jarran stepped back, startled and hurt, as if his son had punched him in the face. ?The Kavishka??

?Of course you take his side?he?s more your son than I,? Devnos snapped, almost to himself. Gulping large, unnecessary breaths, Devnos paused in his tirade, dark eyes wild.

Hours later, Devnos continued, now in the voice of Jarran?s teenage son explaining a mundane but necessary scene in one of his stories. ?Sanar has had too many choices made for her; if the Prophecy has its way, Sanar will just lose sight of the man in the Kavishka.?

?It cannot be averted.?

Devnos glared, and he looked painfully like the man he had become, and not at all like the boy Jarran remembered. ?She will hate him, and she will be miserable. Is that your ?missing you? gift for your favourite daughter??

?I love my children,? Jarran snapped, losing patience.

?It appears that I love them more than do you,? Devnos retorted. ?Perhaps because I know them, and care little for the Prophecy.?

Jarran was stone-faced. ?The Prophecy cannot be stopped, Devnos.?

Devnos turned away. ?Sanar must have a choice.?

?Choices are a luxury.?

Devnos didn?t seem to hear Jarran?s words; he made no reply as he sank deeper into the River, so that the water covered his head, and he pressed against the boundary of Death and Life.

There he lay.

Watching.

Waiting.

Devnos Klis would wait four years.

-----------------------

Please R&R [face_praying]

And may I just say how great it is to be back? :D [face_mischief]

~TJF

EDIT: Kriff! Joooooonnnnnnn! I wanted to use the first post![/whine] :p
  4. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Sorry, oh goddess. I shall now sacrifice my anime DVD collection in your name.

EDIT:

And now I've read the post.

So, Devnos shall not accept his fate? Hmm, stubborn fool. Jarran seems cool.

But Devnos is right. Sanar must have a choice in...whatever the nine hells of Corellia this prophecy is...

Erin, great to have you back.
  5. yoda-is-my-homeboy Jedi Master

star 4
    she's baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

:D

crap, I'm used to just reading through one story in a few days, but now I have to wait for each post! oh well, it just adds to the Fac Fiction-ness of it all, I suppose.

super post!

and thank you for the PM! :)
  6. Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master

star 5

*shrieks gleefully* TIS HERE TIS HERE TIS HERE!!!!!! :D *shrieks* And Devie's in it!! :D *dances* AND HE'S GOING TO MAKE SANAR FALL IN LOVE WIFF KYPPIE!!! *runs around gleefully* TIS MY DEVVIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah Jarran, you foolish man. You remind me painfully of the idiots in Ms Douglass's books. *shakes finger in your face* Listen to Dev!!! He's right!! (he's always right, like me :D)

*squeals happily* I have thanks!! [face_mischief] :eek: *scans the dramatis personae to spot names she gave*

:p

Lets see...

Shanya Rym ? female; Arelyk?s mother

Thats all!! (or at least, the obvious ones...) :D And most of them are fighters!! *shrieks happily*

To Mel (for the names),

:D [:D] [face_love]

Oh sis! Tis simply stunnning! I have been given thanks! And a postie! Hurrah!! :D [face_love] [face_love]

7. Darth_Elu Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  8. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Looks interesting :) Nice to see someone using a lot of OC's. Good start, TJF :D
  9. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oooh! It has begun! It was very interesting to see how Jarren and Devnos seem to be squaring off over the issue of Sanar, and how their beliefs are so different. *very intrigued*

Looking forward to more! *huggles*

~LtJS @};-
  10. Lusa_Thul Force Ghost

star 4
    I was about to start reading this, then my sister kicked me off to do homework! It was terrible! So I've spent the last hour running around, going insane wanting to read this thing! Hehe, anyway, thats my story as to why I didn't steal first post! :p

What a great start!!! Go Devnos, go! Save Sanar and make her not hate Kyp! :)
  11. Jedi_Bubbles Force Ghost

star 4
    *bows down* You have been triumphant again, Great one. I eagerly wait the next post.

On less serious note... DEVNOS WAS IN THIS POST!!!!!!! WWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Calvin: No mom I swear it wasn't me! It was a Yuuzhan Vong that wrecked your table!!! Really!!

Mom: *kicks Calvin into his room*

Calvin: I knew I shouldn't have made that model of the Republic in an attempt to lure the ol' scarfaces out into the open...

Hobbes: Does this mean you're skipping school tomorrow? :D

13. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    *Walks in with cape billowing about dramatically*

*Jon raises gloved left hand and clenches it tightly*

This fic is too good for where it sits now. By all the awesome power of the Force at my command, I demand it rises!!!!!!

*Lightning flashes and thunder rumbles*

Excellent. All is as I have foreseen.
  14. Lusa_Thul Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow. That was a pretty epic up, Striker. :)
  15. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I have to get reused to replying quickly... That had to be put off a bit, unfortunately, since my Chem midterm is coming up [face_worried] Soooo much fun, right? *grimaces*

Anyway, I'll be updating either sometime this weekend, or on Monday--depends on where the impulse takes me :p If you want a PM for updates, let me know in a post, okay? Great!

Jon: Last novel? Ah, well. At least you didn't rule out the possibility of vignetees and short stories.

I really couldn't -- Lera and Nycith are scrabbling, Tenel Ka is glaring at me, and on and on :rolleyes: I probably shouldn't, so of course I will :p

Tenel Ka's in the dramatis personae? The heck?

What, did you not want her to be in here at all? She's has a part. It isn't as big as I wanted it to be, but she's in there... Why? Did you have a problem with that? O:)

Sorry, oh goddess.

*grumble grumble* :p ;)

So, Devnos shall not accept his fate? Hmm, stubborn fool.

Devnos accepts his fate -- it's Sanar's fate that he won't let go uncontested.

Jarran seems cool.

But Devnos is right. Sanar must have a choice in...whatever the nine hells of Corellia this prophecy is...

[face_laugh] the Kavishka prophecy. A couple people will be trying to warn Sanar--whether she listens, and whether the warn-ers know enough to actually help, however....that's a whole other story [face_devil]

Erin, great to have you back.

Thanks! it's great to be back :D

homeboy: she's baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

*waves earnestly*

crap, I'm used to just reading through one story in a few days, but now I have to wait for each post! oh well, it just adds to the Fac Fiction-ness of it all, I suppose.

I know...that's the thing about fanfic *pouts* I haven't been on the boards as much lately, because I've been delving into completed fanfic elsewhere...it's tough to come back, even if I miss the friends....

super post!

thanks! :)

and thank you for the PM!

no problem

Mel: *shrieks gleefully* TIS HERE TIS HERE TIS HERE!!!!!! *shrieks*

I KNOW! [face_dancing]

And Devie's in it!!

*mellows down the crazy dance moves a bit* Yeah, he is.

*dances* AND HE'S GOING TO MAKE SANAR FALL IN LOVE WIFF KYPPIE!!! *runs around gleefully* TIS MY DEVVIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, Devnos wouldn't be responsible for *that*...if he plays matchmaker for anyone, it'll be for Nichyn ;)

Ah Jarran, you foolish man. You remind me painfully of the idiots in Ms Douglass's books. *shakes finger in your face*

*blinks* Which idiot? Jarran's a good guy! He's just kind of lost his view of the in-the-moment sympathy for humanity...

Listen to Dev!!! He's right!! (he's always right, like me )

*falls over laughing*

*squeals happily* I have thanks!!

Of course you do!

*scans the dramatis personae to spot names she gave*
    Lets see...

Shanya Rym ? female; Arelyk?s mother

Actually...you didn't give me Shanya, and I'm not sure about Geneva, either... but the others you did, for sure :)

Oh sis! Tis simply stunnning! I have been given thanks! And a postie! Hurrah!!

[face_hug] Thanks :D

Elu: I'll take that as a good thing? :p

YodaKenobi: Hey! Welcome to the Always bandwagon [face_hug]

Looks interesting Nice to see someone using a lot of OC's. Good start, TJF

Thanks! :D

Lt: Oooh! It has begun! It was very interesting to see how Jarren and Devnos seem to be squaring off over the issue of Sanar, and how their beliefs are so different. *very intrigued*

Oh, they're fun. Heck, all the Klises are fun. They're just all so...different *beams in delight*

Lusa: [
  16. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Rather than tack on a to-be-missed note on my last, long post here....

Don't forget to vote for the Beyond the Saga's Readers' Choice Awards! Story eligibility is May 22, 2004 to Nov. 30, 2004, and nominations are closed December 14th, so light a firecracker and try desperately to remember your favourites! ;)

Good luck to all the writers out there! =D=

~TJF
  17. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh, they're fun. Heck, all the Klises are fun. They're just all so...different *beams in delight*
    Oh, don't worry. We can tell you like them. You enjoy torturing them so much! ;)

~LtJS @};-
  18. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lt: I do not torture my favourite...

Okay, so maybe I do :p But I reward them the best, too! It isn't *all* doom and gloom...just most of it O:) ;)

----

update! This one, obviously, is all in bold, so it's 1.5 years ahead of the 'main' story.

----

Chapter One: Enough Stories

35 Years Post-ANH

The mirror was cracked, like so many things.

Lera Verili wondered, as she brushed her hair, how long it would take for the nurses to realize this, and replace it. She wondered, then, if they thought she and her roommate were unstable enough to warrant such a concerned reaction. And she wondered that it no longer bothered her that they did.

She touched the glass gingerly, being careful to avoid the sharp, broken edges. Her roommate, Gisel, had punched it in her sleep, and both girls had refrained from mentioning the incident and the nightmares.

That was how it was, in the Chume Ward for the Mentally Unwell.

Giving her hair one last tug, Lera set her brush down, and grabbed her notebook and pen before leaving.

The walls of the hallway stretched before her, and for a moment Lera leaned against her shut door, staring. Each side was painted white, almost glaringly so, and was interrupted only by the doors to other rooms.

I can?t wait to leave.

The thought brought bitterness, but Lera pushed it aside. Why break tradition by being honest with herself? She had ignored her parents? relationship, and her own danger, and she could ignore this, too.

Lera?s feet took her to her therapist?s door, and then through it; she stared at the ends of her socks. Normal shoes were not allowed here?just slippers or socks. As a result, Lera didn?t even have the choice of wearing heels and pretending she was taller.

Not that it mattered, here.

?Lerasina,? Dr. Pilk greeted warmly, smiling.

Lera smiled back, because adults?especially adults with medical training?liked to think that if kids smiled, then they were normal. ?Hi.?

?Take a seat, why don?t you, Lera??

Lera stared at the green, worn couch, and sat on the arm rest. A small defiance on her part, but Dr. Pilk only shook her head before ignoring the action.

Dr. Pilk chattered something about charts, and approval in areas, and asked about some of Lera?s recent visitors. Lera responded mechanically, her thoughts drifting. Through a nearby window, she could see the Ward?s courtyard, the hardiest flowers just beginning to bloom. Moving her mud-brown eyes from there, she found a calendar.

March? Was it only March? Suddenly light-headed, Lera slid from the armrest to deep in the couch.

March. That made it?sixteen months. Sixteen months since it all?

?Lera? Are you listening to me??

Lera flushed, wanting nothing more than to hide under a bed in the dark, where no one could see her. ?Sorry,? she mumbled, pulling on the cuffs of her oversized sweater.

Dr. Pilk sighed and rubbed her scalp in exasperation. ?Lerasina, please don?t start this now. You?re nearly out of here. Isn?t that what you want??

?Well, of course I? What?? Lera blinked and sat up straight. ?I am? Really??

Apparently pleased that she had seized Lera?s complete attention, Dr. Pilk smiled. ?As you would know if you had been listening, yes. However??

There was always a ?however?.

?However, I have one last task for you, before you return home.?

Lera slumped back into her chair, shrinking into herself, preparing for the worst. She could just tell this would hurt. ?What?? she asked, resigned.

Dr. Pilk leaned forward, elbows on datapad on lap. ?Although we know what happened was not entirely you, Lerasina, you must face it?completely and utterly?nonetheless. I want you to choose one way to express everything that happened. Everything. You must exorcise your demons.?

Stars. Painful didn?t even begin to describe this task. Sadistic, maybe. Lera wondered if Dr. Pilk had demon blood, or if she had been possessed by a Sith lord, or if she was a sp
  19. Darth_Elu Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *strokes chin* Very well done, Goddess. I'm trying to figure out what is going on here? *studies the scene* Hmm...
    Gah! Just tell me! :_| :p

*wants more*
  20. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lt: I do not torture my favourite...

Okay, so maybe I do But I reward them the best, too! It isn't *all* doom and gloom...just most of it

Yes you do. Admit it :p Last time I checked, most of them had ended up dead, so that's rewarding how? :confused: ;)

Very interesting post, Erin. Poor Lera :( I want to know why she was there!

~LtJS @};-
  21. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Woah.

Who was that? Deep, deep post, Erin. Stinks to be her.

And what's Sanar got to do with her?

And if you're looking for a fic to read, there is a fic in my sig that's desperately seeking readers...

And not liking the fact that Tenel Ka is here? By the Force! She is my favorite character, after all.
  22. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Elu: *strokes chin* Very well done, Goddess.

I'm trying to figure out what is going on here? *studies the scene* Hmm... Gah! Just tell me!

You know I won't do that! :p

Lt: Yes you do. Admit it Last time I checked, most of them had ended up dead, so that's rewarding how?

They do not end up dead! *rethinks this statement* They do not all end up dead! *rethinks* Some of them don't end up dead! *pouts*

Very interesting post, Erin. Poor Lera I want to know why she was there!

All in time ;)

Jon: Who was that?

Lera, and the newest important OC for this trilogy ;) More than that...I can't yet say. It'll become increasingly obvious [face_mischief]

Deep, deep post, Erin. Stinks to be her.

Thanks! And I agree :(

And what's Sanar got to do with her?

[face_batting] [face_shhh]

And if you're looking for a fic to read, there is a fic in my sig that's desperately seeking readers...

*saturated in guilt*

And not liking the fact that Tenel Ka is here? By the Force! She is my favorite character, after all.

Just checking :p ;)

~TJF
  23. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    They do not end up dead! *rethinks this statement* They do not all end up dead! *rethinks* Some of them don't end up dead! *pouts*
    LOL [face_laugh] You keep working on that, Erin. You're making very good progress ;)

All in time
    *pouts* But I want to know now! :p

~LtJS @};-

24. Darth_Elu Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *stares at Goddess, trying to think what could be in her head* Hmmm....
  25. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lt: LOL You keep working on that, Erin. You're making very good progress

I'll get a sounds-good-for-the-characters-I-love pitch eventually! After all, it's true that I don't *always* kill them... :p *glares at trilogy name, which seems to be contradicting her*

Elu: O:)

~TJF
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.