Beyond Always III: In the Morning (drama, fantasy, romance) COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Trickster_Jaina_Fel, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll come back and give you details and reactions later....

But for now just know how wonderful this was. How talented you are at spinning a story and engaging readers. How much I appreciated the time and effort you put into these characters and this story. How much I came to love these characters, to be invested in their destinies.

And thank you, most of all, for ending with hope.

Lots of love.
  2. Jaina_Solo_Durron Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh dear.

You made me cry.

My dear, this has been one of the most remarkable fics I have read, in any fandom. I'd like to thank you for three years of fantastic writing, wonderful characters and excellent plots. I've enjoyed this so much.

This last chapter particularly was incredible. I love the way you tied up all those loose ends, and while the ending wasn't precisely happy (the best ones never are) it was perfect in its own way.

Again, this is great work. Thank you.

-JSD
  3. Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    More details now.

I love the moving back and forth in the time line, the working in of the word "always," and finally reading Lera's message.

Vengeance began to fade from its six year presence in his mind, though he wasn?t sure if it disappeared suddenly with this last act of Vengeance, or if it had been slowly seeping away since Rafintair?s death, and he just hadn?t noticed. However and whenever it happened, it was finally ending?and quickly now. I love your prose. Love it.

These are the facts. They are well established, as facts often are.

Of course, there are always Mysteries, and there are always secrets to flesh out the facts.
    I love the truth in this.

She set her chin and met his eyes. ?I want to help. Tell me how.? Oh, Lera. How I love you, child.

He had a feeling that meant she was Listening Very Carefully. He missed her boredom. I do, too, Kyp.

The last thing we need is you collapsing. It?d really ruin the epic ending. I love the touches of humor, even in such an emotional, climactic ending.

I?ve made certain that only two of us will die today. Someone has to make sure the holovid is at least half real.? Oh, Kyp.

?That was the deal, Jay,? he said. ?From the very beginning. Prophecy brought back the Kavishka. This isn?t even my real body?it could never last. Prophecy is over, and so am I.? Oh, Kyp.

At half past three, Kyp disappeared. Sanar, who had passed in her sleep a few minutes before Kyp, was left on the bed with only the Sildar. Kyp disappeared. I don't know why that moved me so--but he became one with the Force--and it was just what Kyp deserved.

When she was certain that no one would interrupt, Jaina cried. Oh, Jaina.

Kyp couldn?t see Sanar anywhere. This line hurt me. But you more than made up for it.

And then Lera remembered everything.

When she burst into tears, it occurred to her that this wouldn?t reassure the Ryms.
    Oh, Lera.

??Bout time you got here,? she said when she had pulled back. ?Gods. How long does it take to chop a few heads, Kavishka? What is your malfunction?? And that's Sanar. I nearly burst into tears.

He didn?t give her a chance to say much more?for the moment, anyway, he had missed her. But he really had to kiss her, and even Sanar Klis found it difficult to throw insults and kiss at the same time. Usually. (This time.) Oh, that's perfect. Perfect.

(three people to hold the Sildar, through such plots and plans)

(Lera made her choice)

(The Sildar reached into Sanar, and into Devnos, and into a teenage girl, and Sanar Klis did not die. The Sildar?s criteria would be met?in time.)
    I just have no words. No words at all.

?No,? she said. ?It?s?I just remembered, Nichyn. We won.? She laughed, unable to help it. ?We won. Everything went exactly as planned.? I did cry here.

Choose your own fate, Sanar.

Love,

Your brother.
    And here.

This is whatever you make it.

(Devnos Klis made it hope.)
    Flawless, beautiful ending. I couldn't have asked for more.
  4. Emerald_Lady Jedi Knight

star 3
    :_| Wow. That was lyrical and sad and beautiful and wonderful. You did a lovely job making sure that even with the consequences, the ending was more happy than sad, and I thank you for that. [:D] This trilogy has been quite a ride. :D
  5. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    obiwan: Wow, what a wonderful trip this trilogy has been!

thank you! [face_blush]

You gave it a loving hopeful end. I didn't mind Kyp dying b/c as he said he wasn't even in his own body. His work as the Kavishka liberted all those women (which was beautiful).

thank you--that's very much what I was aiming for. Kyp died once; he was brought back for Prophecy, and he had already lost Sanar--I didn't see his death (which, really, in Always!lore, death isn't such a bad place) as a sad thing. Well, except for Jaina, but she just keeps on surviving.

Kyp and Sanar have the afterlife together!!!!

Oh, absolutely. And you just *know* they're going to be dead and still bickering *g*

I'll miss this story! Great work!!!!!!

I'll miss it too :eek: :( thanks :D

Jon: Erin, that was... beautiful. I can't even begin to write what I want to say, after all this time...

[face_blush] aw, shucks.

If you don't go pro and are worshipped by the masses, something's wrong then...

I'm afraid I've always been of the opinion that there is *definitely* something wrong [face_laugh] :p

Sanar and Kyp... dead, but together forever. Happy, then.

yeees...and here you were all worried, hm? Trust me, you should ;)

*Sad smile* I just hope Jaina and Zekk reconcile...

I've never said they *won't* reconcile. In fact, I think Jaina and Zekk said about five times that they aren't over--Always, in fact, declares that they are *never* over. Even when he kills both of her brothers. So, in the grand scheme of things, emotional infidelity/insanity? Medium-sized hurdle.

...*cough* That is to say, they reconcile.

And Lera... poor, poor Lera. Yeah, Vengeance and Prophecy can go straight to the Pit. Nichyn, be there for her!

:eek: the point of her scenes here were to show that it *isn't* "poor, poor Lera." She did what she thought was right, and paid the price--only to find out that it worked after all. This chapter was about happy!/survivor!Lera. As Devnos said, she's going to be fine :)

Just the epilogue left... no! I want more, Erin! *Wibbles*

see, as much as I *love* the Always cast/world, I am going to have to go with "no way in hell" :p This series has gone on way too long [face_laugh]

JJD: But for now just know how wonderful this was. How talented you are at spinning a story and engaging readers. How much I appreciated the time and effort you put into these characters and this story. How much I came to love these characters, to be invested in their destinies.

I am so very, very pleased that you enjoyed it [face_blush]

And thank you, most of all, for ending with hope.

'S one of my favourite words--though, admittedly, I wrote that part a couple months ago, back with the climax, so my subconscious is maybe a little smarter than I am :) :p

JSD: Oh dear.
    You made me cry.

I'm...sorry? Well, maybe not *really* ;)

My dear, this has been one of the most remarkable fics I have read, in any fandom. I'd like to thank you for three years of fantastic writing, wonderful characters and excellent plots. I've enjoyed this so much.

[face_blush] thank you *so* much. It's been quite a ride, and it means a great deal that you guys have enjoyed it :D

This last chapter particularly was incredible. I love the way you tied up all those loose ends, and while the ending wasn't precisely happy (the best ones never are) it was perfect in its own way.

thanks! 200%-happily-ever-after endings give me an itch, but I've always known that (Jaina's issues, the ominous revolution ahead, and everyone's slow recuperation still-to-come aside) ItM would end on the bright*er* side.

Again, this is great work. Thank you.

Thank *you* for reading :D

JJD: I love the moving back and forth in the time line, the working in of the word "always," and finally reading Lera's message.

[face_laugh] Unfortunately, when I wrote the climax, I wasn't thinking nearly so much about the ending as it looks like--although I knew about what
  6. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    *Lets out breathe he was holding since getting the PM* Wow...

Tenel Ka and Jacen together, Jaina and Zekk... Lera and Nicyn, yay! :D

Erin, any chance of getting this whole thing e-mailed to me, along with the first two fics of this? I wanna print it out and bind it. Seriously.

So sad to see it ended, so glad at the same time too. You're a danged awesome writer and good friend and great mentor. Thank you so much for sharing your gift with us.

And this isn't a goodbye, you hear? It's a see you later. ;)
  7. iamobiwan1970 Jedi Master

star 4
    Lovely epilogue:

Then one day Vengeance slipped away.....

I also liked:

This woman did not seem to be a foreigner, but acted in such an odd manner that she drew attention. (A few people much later spoke of wisdom, teachings, and magic, but there is no support for this.) This woman spent the afternoon in the town before walking into the wilderness?toward Brin. She told the gatekeeper that she was going to see her sister.

You made all the losses beautiful! =D=
  8. Emerald_Lady Jedi Knight

star 3
    :eek: I think this is one of my favorite posts out of the entire trilogy. It's just beautiful, and so fitting for the characters. I wouldn't worry about meeting expectations if I were you, because you shattered mine. =D=

I love that Tenel Ka died a warrior, and that Jacen was waiting for her. What can I say, I'm a romantic at heart. [face_love]

Jaina and Zekk ended up happy. Thank you. [:D] And I love the idea of Zekk as a healer. It fits. Furthermore, the tale of Jaina disappearing into the wilderness on NLY reminds me a lot of Arwen after Aragorn's death.

Veras+Braun=[face_love]

Ah, Krista. Marrying a week after getting engaged and becoming the Academy matchmaker are just so her. I'm so glad Miko didn't die. :) I can definitely see him helping with dark Jedi rehabilitation. Their deaths were very sad, but I'm glad their daughter didn't experience a similar fate.

Yay for Lera and Nichyn's happiness, and for their respective careers. :)

The last line was perfect. [face_love] Thank you so much for sharing your stories with all of us. [:D]

9. Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, so I'm finally giving you some thoughts on your epilogue. Sorry it took me so long.

Typically I find epilogues of this nature--where we find everything out about everyone--redundant and overkill. But in this case, all of the revelations were such outgrowths of the characters that it works and I'm so glad you included it. You obviously care so much for these characters and have spent so much time figuring out how and why they would turn out.

I love the idea that Tenel Ka would be respected and admired by her people but that she would fight enemies within her own family for the rest of her life. I have never been that big of a fan of hers, but the way you wrote her made me admire her even more. I especially like that Hapes never joined the GFFA. That just works. And the idea of gender relations being complicated as well. Tenel Ka knew nothing of this as she crossed the River. Jacen Solo waited for her on the shore. This made me smile.

They took three of those years at a very moderated pace in order to deal with the issues in their relationship. Smart kids.
    In that time, and throughout their marriage, Jaina and Zekk fought and made up, separated and reunited, cried and laughed, and always loved, ?til death did they part. That line should be cheesy, but it isn't. Not at all. I'm so glad that things worked out for them.
    And I really appreciate the idea that Jaina never really recovered from her resurrection or Sanar's death--there are some things that just can't heal.
    Jaina never forgot that redemption was always possible, even if the clock was necessarily ticking. That's a powerful truth to remember.
    Pitfalls were plenty, and so the hard-won victories were more appreciated. I love this line.
    And I'm so glad that Zekk did the Force-disappearing-act--he was at peace with what he had done, clearly. Lovely.
    She told the gatekeeper that she was going to see her sister. I nearly started crying at this line. It broke my heart and made me smile all at the same time.

I love Veras and Braun's section so much I cannot even tell you. It's perfect.

?sic her Dark side boyfriend on them.? Oh, Krista. I'm so glad that all of these things haven't really changed you. So glad.
    Krista said she decided to marry Miko when he turned down a ?chick flick? with her to go to her brothers? long-standing sports night. Heehee! And the idea of her as a matchmaker is fantastic.
    Miko, like Zekk, never forgot. That makes me want to hug him.
    Half of the details of the disastrous week are still unsubstantiated?instead conflicting, repressed, or exaggerated by the few survivors. This demonstrates what I love most about this epilogue--that you wrote it as though writing real history--we don't know everything, but at least these peoples' legacies lived on. I love it.
    Krista, of course, had gone first?just as she had vowed so many years before. Gah. I'm tearing up.

Geneva and Dachien Tal were assassinated five months after 777. I wasn't expecting that, but when you explained the reasons, it seemed to fit.
    The Resistance soon became embroiled in a war against its own sisters. Isn't that the way it often happens?
    It took decades (some said centuries) for the tension to subside to safe levels. I love the realistic nature of the history you've constructed. And I love also the way history has turned to legend.

Dejah died in her late forties, when she stepped into the path of an assassin?s blaster fire, thus saving the lives of the newly elected (Mirese Party candidate) Na?Lein governor and his wife. Nichyn Whilem honoured her sacrifice with a state funeral, and the Order of Bravery. That's heartbreaking and wonderful at the same time.

Over the years, historians started to believe that Isra played a vital, leading role in Cerile?s post-war intelligence body. Good. I'm so glad.

A fascinating choice you made in relating Clayra and Gantik's history: so short, no det
  10. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Jon: Tenel Ka and Jacen together, Jaina and Zekk... Lera and Nicyn, yay! grin

I'm glad you liked it :)

Erin, any chance of getting this whole thing e-mailed to me, along with the first two fics of this? I wanna print it out and bind it. Seriously.

Um...the first two I can definitely do. And probably ItM--I've just been considering the idea of using an aspect or two of the ItM world in original fiction, in which case I might want to make it disappear :p Still the same e-mail address?

P.S. you'll run out of ink about five times if you try to print the whole thing out, so I would be happy with a Word doc ;P

So sad to see it ended, so glad at the same time too. You're a danged awesome writer and good friend and great mentor. Thank you so much for sharing your gift with us.

Aww [face_blush] Thank *you* for sticking around :D

iamobiwan1970: Thank you so much! I'm glad you've enjoyed ItM, and stuck around for it :)

Emerald_Lady: I think this is one of my favorite posts out of the entire trilogy. It's just beautiful, and so fitting for the characters. I wouldn't worry about meeting expectations if I were you, because you shattered mine. applause

Thank you! [face_blush] I'm so glad it worked.

I love that Tenel Ka died a warrior, and that Jacen was waiting for her. What can I say, I'm a romantic at heart. love

Hee, me too [face_love] The TK/J reunion has always been in my head as inevitable.

Jaina and Zekk ended up happy. Thank you.

I figured, hey, the original always!otp--ergo, happily ever after (sort of) should probably be a part of the contract :p

And I love the idea of Zekk as a healer. It fits.

thanks :) I hadn't been planning it at the time, but I felt that with so many of the conventional Jedi-futures fenced off to him, healing would be a (pleasantly) surprising niche for him.

Veras+Braun= love

I am unashamedly in love with this couple, it is sad and true.

Ah, Krista. Marrying a week after getting engaged and becoming the Academy matchmaker are just so her.

haha, but isn't it? Poor Miko's head was probably spinning, but he certainly wouldn't object ;
    Yay for Lera and Nichyn's happiness, and for their respective careers. happy

Lera and Nichyn are, perhaps, the healthiest, most normal people in this trilogy. And "assassination" will regularly be a part of their dinner conversation *facepalm*

The last line was perfect. love Thank you so much for sharing your stories with all of us.

Thank you for wanting to share it. Your reviews have meant a lot :D

JJD: Okay, so I'm finally giving you some thoughts on your epilogue. Sorry it took me so long.

Hey, has it not taken me this long to reply to people's reviews? I *totally* understand ;) And it's always the epilogue that takes the longest, doesn't it?

Typically I find epilogues of this nature--where we find everything out about everyone--redundant and overkill. But in this case, all of the revelations were such outgrowths of the characters that it works and I'm so glad you included it. You obviously care so much for these characters and have spent so much time figuring out how and why they would turn out.

Thank you! I'm really not a fan of this kind of epilogue, either, unless it's handled in a very specific way. But then, I'm not a big fan of the "oh, hey, everyone is magically in the same room talking about what's happened for the past five years!" style epilogue, either, so I had to throw myself into the fray :p

I love the idea that Tenel Ka would be respected and admired by her people but that she would fight enemies within her own family for the rest of her life. I have never been that big of a fan of hers, but the way you wrote her made me admire her even more.

thank you! She isn't my *favourite* character, though I do respect her quite a bit. I didn't want to make her the perfect queen, though, because--despite a few "omg look! she's so perfect for the job!" parts in the yjk series--she really d
  11. JediBettyBug18 Jedi Master

star 3
    :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|
    i totally just cried my butt off reading this!

IT WAS AWESOME!

(whisper: another epic anytime soon?)

love marybeth
  12. Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i totally just cried my butt off reading this!
    IT WAS AWESOME!

I'm glad you enjoyed it [face_blush] :D It was quite the ride writing it :p

(whisper: another epic anytime soon?)

Not in fanfic, I'm afraid--I've more or less decided to shelve it for the time being. I'm focusing on my original fiction instead, so more epics in that arena than this :)

Thanks for reading and reviewing :D

~TJF
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.