main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Always Shoot First -- Han's POV (One Post)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Apr 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandmaidenEirtae

HandmaidenEirtae Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2001
    Hey, everyone!
    This is a short fic I wrote about Han. Quite frankly, I didn't like how they had Greedo shoot first in the Special Editions. I mean, sure, Han's a hero and all, but he's still a scoundrel. ;)
    Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer : Star Wars belongs to George Lucas.

Shoot first or be shot, I always say.

When it comes to my life, or Chewie?s, I don?t take any risks. Anybody messes with us ? Chewie and I?ll take care of them.

That?s the way it is in this business. You never know what motives people have or what they?re planning and thinking behind those shifty eyes. More likely than not it?s your untimely demise. And there are plenty of shifty eyes around here. Nobody trusts anybody in this circle, and there?s reason why. The stories I?ve heard about cons and double crossers, people betraying their friends for a couple of credit chips?

Not to mention my own stories. Some guy named Kimoiw was ready to do me in. The worst part of it was that he was just bitter I beat him in sabacc I few times. And took a few contracts away from him ? including his girlfriend. But he didn?t need to get that worked up about it. If it wasn?t for Chewie, though, I wouldn?t be here today.

That?s why it?s good to know who your friends are and who you can?t turn your back on for fear of getting a vibroknife wedged between your shoulder blades. That?s why I?m glad I?ve got Chewie. I trust him more than I trust myself sometimes. It?s good to have someone I can count on. I don?t trust anybody else.

I don?t get involved in all this political stuff either ? unless I?m breaking the law. But that?s business. Otherwise, I?m completely neutral. You get entangled in this galactic civil war, and then your priorities are split, and before you know it you?re completely caught up in the politics. You can?t leave because you have a cause to fight for. Or at least that?s what I?ve heard. A couple of old timers come back to the Run every once in a while, spitting rebel slogans. I grin and then tell them I can?t get involved right now. Right now and never ? it?s bad for business, and business is all that matters. You get working with either side and you aren?t just working for money. Besides, your list of enemies quadruples once you pledge your allegiance.

It?s like a game of dejarik. You make your moves and you protect your pieces. Otherwise it?s check mate.

Now I?m not promoting violence. But if someone?s aiming a blaster at my chest, I?m not going to hesitate to treat him to the favor first. Greedo got what was coming to him. Nobody even waves a blaster in the general direction of Han Solo without answering for it. I won?t let someone take a first pot shot at me for the sake of my conscience.

I do what I do to save my hide. Those who shoot first live.

And Han Solo always shoots first.

Tae

2. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I give it a ten! ! !!

I gotta check out more of your fics

3. Solo_Skywalker

Solo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2003
    Very good!!! Ah, if only Han knew that he was about to join the alliance!!! He he he... :D Nice insight to Han by the way! ;)

4. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    Thanks, scuiggiefest. :) I hope you find my other fics just as enjoyable.

Solo Skywalker - [face_blush] Thanks for your feedback. It's my first time writing Han, really, so I really appreciate what you said.

Tae

5. TheBiggerFish

TheBiggerFish Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    I do what I do to save my hide. Those who shoot first live.

And Han Solo always shoots first.

Damn straight boy! There's the scoundrel I know and love! [face_love]

Tae, for a first time Solo writer, you know him pretty well!!

Han will always shoot first - no matter what!

6. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Lovely!

You did a brilliant job getting into Han's head! I loved the bit about how it was a bad idea to get into galactic politics and the rebellion! LOL!

7. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    This is very good and I have to echo what others have said, you understand Han very well. :)

8. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Now that's the pragmatic smuggler we all know and love. :D

I'd have to agree with you, Eirtae. Maybe it's not always pretty, but you don't survive as a smuggler unless you're willing to shoot first. This is a very accurate portrait of Han and his mindset at that point in his life. Nicely done! :)

9. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Nice! I enjoyed reading this, I think you've got Han's character down well :D

10. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    TheBiggerFish - [face_blush]There's the scoundrel I know and love!
    Before the Dark Side.... before the special editions... ;)

Thanks, LP! Yes, I admit I was pleased with that little bit about politics. It hit while I was typing up what I had hand written.

Thanks, Sologal. I'm glad you liked my characterization. :)

It's a tough life, Gabri, but some scoundrel's gotta do it. ;)

Thank you, crystalrain. That means a lot to me.

Tae

11. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    I hate to admit it, but I almost bypassed this literary gem just because it dealt with ANH onwards.

OMG, I'm just so glad you wrote this. I only know him from the last three Starwars movies, but this completely captured his cynical mercenary outlook while remaining an entertaining read.

Very well done! I look forward to perusing more of your works. :D

12. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    This was your first time writing Han, Tae? Well, you did a damn good job of it! Excellent work! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.