main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Always -- Song Fic (L/M and some Ben)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by mavjade , Dec 29, 2005.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Title: Always
    Author: mavjade
    Timeframe: Sometime after The Dark Nest trilogy
    Character(s): Mara, Luke and a little of Ben
    Genre: AU future fic
    Keywords: Luke, Mara, Angst
    Summary: Song Fic. Several stages in Mara's life after Luke's death.
    Song: "Even in Death" by Evanescence

Authors Notes: This is my first attempt at fanfiction so I'll apologize in advance!
    I'm not normally one for songfics but I keep listening to this song and I couldn't help myself.
    Many of you might not have heard this song, it was from their first record "Origin", which wasn't released mainstream.

A huge thank you to my Master NYCitygurl for her help, for betaing and for her encouragement. Without her I would have been to [face_chicken] to post this ! [:D]

Disclaimer: Star Wars and its likeness belongs to George Lucas, Mara Jade belongs to Timothy Zahn, "Even in Death" belongs to Evanescence. I made no money off of this, (even though as a starving college student I could use it :p).

So without further adieu....

5/10/15 - Truncation fix

~*~*~
    Give me a reason to believe that you're gone
    I see your shadow, so I know they're all wrong
    Moonlight on the soft brown earth
    it leads me to where you lay
    They took you away from me
    but now I'm taking you home

Walking along a dark path with only the moonlight guiding me, I realize I am exhausted. I know it is not from exertion, because the walk is not far and on level ground. I feel as if my heart has atrophied from ache. You left me too soon; you left your family too soon. Every time I look at Ben, I see you: your piercing blue eyes, your heart. I look at him and I can't help but wonder if you would have done a better job raising him than I will. You have compassion, and patience that I could never have.

I kneel down where they have built a monument to you, and I know you would have hated it. You were their hero, their savior; time and time again, this galaxy has you to thank for its safety, but no longer. Yes, you saved them again, but who will be there next time?

I will stay for ever here with you my love
    The softly spoken words you gave me
    Even in death our love goes on

Tears fall from my eyes, clouding my vision; for the first time I let emotion come to the surface. Here, alone, I feel like I can let go. As I weep, I feel arms wrap around me, familiar arms I thought would never hold me again.

"Luke," I whisper.

"Don't cry my love, I'm here."

He turns my head towards him, and wipes away the tears that have fallen. For several seconds, I don't say anything as my heart hammers in my chest. I hoped he would appear to me so I could tell him just one more time how much I love him, how he saved my life, how he gave me the greatest gift of all: his love, and our son Ben. But now that I have the chance not a single word passes my lips.

"I know," he says with a gentle smile on his face.

"Stay out of my head, Skywalker." I don't say it vehemently, as I once did, but with a small, sad laugh.

"There's the woman I fell in love with."

"Why, Luke? Why did you leave me?" I manage to say.

"You know the answer to that," he says to me with his eyebrows raised, as if looking for an answer.

"I know, it was the will of the Force, but hadn't you given enough? Couldn't you just be happy? See your son grow up? Couldn't you..."

"Shhh," he puts his finger over my lips. "I will be here with you, and Ben. I could never leave you. Death can't stop our love."

"What happened to 'There is no death; there is the Force,' Master Skywalker?" I ask with a sly smile.

"Well, the Force can't stop our love, either," he laughs.

We just sit there and look at each other for what seems like eternity as I try and memorize his every feature. His gorgeous blue eyes, his heartwarming smile, even his faint scars from all those years ago. I don't think I could ever forget, but I am afraid I may not see him again.

"You are a wonderful mother, Mara, and Ben is a great kid. I have complete faith in you," he says, trying to comfort my fears; he must have picked up on them earlier.

"You just didn't want to deal with him as a teenager, is that it?" I joke.

"Well... I remember what I was like as a teenager."

"So you're gonna leave me here, alone with your son, to deal with whatever he gets into?"

"Your never alone, Mar," he whispers as he pulls me towards him.

Silence falls over us once again and I lean into his embrace. He runs the back of his hand down my face and gives me a sad look. I know that our time together is over.

"I must go, my love, but I promise I will be with you, always."

Tears begin to fall again as I whisper, "I love you, Luke."

"I love you Mara... always," he says as he disappears, and I am alone once more.

Some say I'm crazy for my love, My love
    But no words can hold me from your side, Oh my love
    They don't know you can't leave me
    They don't hear you singing to me

It's been years since the day that Luke appeared to me, and it's times like these that I miss him the most. Today is the day that Ben is being Knighted. My little boy has grown up; if only Luke could see him now. I walk up to him as Kyp Durron ruffles Ben's fiery red hair, and puts his hands on his shoulders.

"Your father would have been very proud of you."

A bright smile crosses Ben's lips, a smile that goes all the way to his eyes.

"He is," Ben says as he gives Kyp a hug. I find it kind of strange that Kyp Durron, someone who was always at odds with Luke, would take Ben under his wing after Luke died.

"He's right, you know; your father would be proud of you," I say as Kyp leaves to give us some privacy.

"I know he is, he told me so."

"He did?" I question.

"This morning, before we came to the ceremony."

I want to hear more, but I know he is eager to go and celebrate with his friends. I give him a hug, the best smile I can muster, and send him on his way. There is time later to hear the whole thing; though I wonder how many times Luke has appeared to Ben. I'm not jealous of my son for seeing him; I know he needs Luke just as I do, but I wish I could have seen him again.

"Always, my love."

I smile as I close my eyes and I feel a loving warmth come over me.

"Always."

I will stay for ever here with you my love
    The softly spoken words you gave me
    Even in death our love goes on
    And I can't love you any more than I do

I know my time is growing short. I can feel the Force calling me to another place. I don't want to leave my son, but there is nothing I can do to stop that now. I feel hot tears fall on my face from above.

"Mom, please don't leave me," Ben sobs. "Please?"

I open my eyes and look into Ben's sad blue eyes, the eyes of his father.

"I love you, Ben. Your father and I love you very much."

My eyes close once again, and I wonder if Luke is here now, with me at my end. As this thought crosses my mind, the excruciating pain that I was feeling is gone. I open my eyes once again and see the most beautiful site that I have seen in a very long time. Luke takes me by the hand and smiles.

"Always."

My darling true love is forever.

2. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    I was hoping to get first post... but I was so busy crying I just kinda sat here forgetting to hit reply!

Great work!

3. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    :_| :_|

Oh, no! How sad! Mara and Ben....all alone, but not really. I love how Luke kept letting them know they were not alone.

Great job on your first fanfic! Now....write more! :D

Please? ;)

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    So touching and so sad. Very nicely done though!

5. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

:_| @};-

So sad, but very sweet, Luke never truly leaving them.

6. CoffeeQueen76

CoffeeQueen76 Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2005
    Oh, it's so good! Kinda sad good.=D=

7. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Oh Mavjade, that was beautiful, but heartbreaking!! Wonderful little viggie. I hope this doesn't come to pass in the profics. I want Mara and Luke to both die at a very old, old age. Preferably in their sleep while lying in each other's arms.

Great story!!

AG88

8. Bianka_Kenobi

Bianka_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 21, 2005
    I agree with AG88, I hope Luke and Mara die really old! I loved this, it was sad, but I liked the happy reunion at the end.

9. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I've never been fond of songfics as a rule, but this is very nicely done. The characterization is very good, and there are lots of little touches that add veracity, like how Luke would have hated the monument. Great job! :)

10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    First, just a great big thanks to everyone for reading! [:D]

RedGold:
    A great big hug for my very first reviewer![:D]

I was hoping to get first post...
    You did!

but I was so busy crying
    Sorry I made you cry... but I am glad to know that I got the emotion I wanted to come through in this fic! I was kinda afraid that my writing wouldn't convey any.

I just kinda sat here forgetting to hit reply!
    [face_laugh] Well you eventually did and that is all that is important :p

Great work!
    Thank you very much! Coming from you that means a lot!

ginchy:
    Oh, no! How sad!
    Sad/Angsty seems to be the only thing that comes to my head.

Mara and Ben....all alone, but not really.
    Exactly! I couldn't just leave them totally alone. They need each other!

I love how Luke kept letting them know they were not alone.
    I think that if Luke could do this, he would. He is just sweet like that!

Great job on your first fanfic!
    Thank you very much!

Now....write more! Please?

I plan on it! I am getting ready to start a longer fic (also sad), but I probably should get another viggie under my belt first.

Healer_Leona:
    So touching and so sad.Very nicely done though!
    Thank you so much!

JadeLotus:
    So sad, but very sweet, Luke never truly leaving them.
    Thank you! I feel like Luke would stay with them if he was able. He loves them to much to leave them!

CoffeeQueen
    Oh, it's so good! Kinda sad good.
    Thank you!
    BTW, I love coffee too![face_coffee]:p

AG88:
    ...that was beautiful, but heartbreaking!!
    Heartbreaking seems to be what my muse likes, the fic I have brewing in my head is that way too!

I hope this doesn't come to pass in the profics.
    Neither do I! That is one thing I love about fanfiction. Something awful may happen, such as Luke dying, but you know in the real continum he is still very much alive!

I want Mara and Luke to both die at a very old, old age.
    Me too! I would not be happy if they died early, although I fear for Mara in Legacy.[face_worried] (That doesn't come from spoilers or anything, just a feeling)

Preferably in their sleep while lying in each other's arms.
    Kinda like in The Notebook? Ooo, plot bunny!

Great story!!
    Thank you very much!

Bianka_Kenobi
    I agree with AG88, I hope Luke and Mara die really old!
    I agree also! They need to die old and together!

I loved this, it was sad,
    :) Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!

but I liked the happy reunion at the end.
    I couldn't leave them apart, that would just be cruel!

Gabri_Jade
    I've never been fond of songfics as a rule but this is very nicely done.
    I normaly don't like them either, but this song just called to me! I am glad that 'Song Fic' in the subject line didn't scare you away!

The characterization is very good
    I am glad you think so, I was worried about gettting it right!

Great job!
    Thank you!

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That was sooo beautiful!! I'm so glad you posted it!! [:D]

The present-tense is a nice change, and I like the way you connected three different times in Mara's life. It is a beautifully written piece, and I love it [face_love]

Good job!! [:D]

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    *bows* Thank you Master!

Without your help I don't think, actually I know, it would never have been posted!

[:D]

13. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    I'm so happy you weren't [face_chicken] and decided to post this!

I have a lump in my throat. As well as a pile of tissues on top of my desk. You beautifully captured each timeline of events and used the song to even strengthen the emotions moreso.

"I know he is, he told me so."

"He did?" I question.

"This morning, before we came to the ceremony."

You gave me the biggest chill - ever. Even though this is songfic, for the most part is very sad. I still love the underlining thread of hope you use in this piece. Although there were physical endings in death, both Mara and Luke continued to live through the Force.

*starts to cry - again*

You've got talent! Lovely@};-

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    MirandaFair

I'm so happy you weren't [face_chicken] and decided to post this!

That is pretty much Nat's doing. I was really freaked out about it, and she encouraged me to post it!

I have a lump in my throat. As well as a pile of tissues on top of my desk.

You beautifully captured each timeline of events and used the song to even strengthen the emotions moreso.
    Originally it was only gonna be the time in the first part (at the monument), but once I started writing the next times in Mara's life just popped in!

I still love the underlining thread of hope you use in this piece. Although there were physical endings in death, both Mara and Luke continued to live through the Force.
    I didn't want Luke to leave them....so he stayed with them throught the Force. I would be happier if Luke and Mara died together (although that would be really mean to Ben), I don't think they would do well without each other.

You've got talent! Lovely
    Thank You very much![:D]

15. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006
    That was very touching. I read it over in fanfiction.net and just had to find it here and review it.

I was crying, it was beautiful. :_|

Good job.

jacky[face_monkey]

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thank you so much, Jacky!

17. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I kneel down where they have built a monument to you, and I know you would have hated it.

How true! He never does anything for the glory. And yet this is so believeable that he would wind up with a memorial.

This is subtly written. You did an excellent job of portraying the emotions without being melodramatic. Hooray for you!!!=D=

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    divapilot
    How true! He never does anything for the glory. And yet this is so believeable that he would wind up with a memorial.
    Yeah, I think they would build him one, he has saved the galaxy several times after all...but I think he would absolutely hate even the idea of it!
    That is just Luke, you gotta love him!

This is subtly written. You did an excellent job of portraying the emotions without being melodramatic. Hooray for you!!!
    Thank you very much!

Thanks for reading![:D]

19. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    wow... that was really, really good. for a first foray you'd have been hard pressed to do much better, especially considering you don't really do songfic.

excellent, most excellent indeed. more of your work i shall read.

oh, i know the band, have the cd (and then some) and am a huge fan of the song. knowing the music to it this takes on a much more... hauntingly errie quality to it.

20. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    :_| That's so sad and beautiful!

(Also, wow. Love your portrayal of Mara's last moments, and that song so hit the spot.)

Good story. :)

21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Wow! This popp!ed up from the depths! :)

Trimaj
    wow... that was really, really good. for a first foray you'd have been hard pressed to do much better, especially considering you don't really do songfic.
    Thank you very much! The song really called to me and inspired me to write fanfiction!

excellent, most excellent indeed. more of your work i shall read.
    :D Thanks again! Strangely enough, even though this is my first, it's one of my stories that I am most proud of.

oh, i know the band, have the cd (and then some) and am a huge fan of the song. knowing the music to it this takes on a much more... hauntingly errie quality to it.
    :D I'm so happy that someone that knows the song read this! The song is so errie and I really wanted that to show up in the fic, but I knew it wouldn't come across for most people since the song wasn't released mainstream! I'm glad you feel that came across!

Thanks for reading, and for pulling this out of the depths of fanfiction!

Daena
    That's so sad and beautiful!
    Thank you very much! :)

Also, wow. Love your portrayal of Mara's last moments, and that song so hit the spot.
    I was going to write the story completely where it started, with Mara talking to Luke. But then it just started writing itself and some how I ended up with Mara dying and Luke meeting her, because 'Even in death love goes on'. :p

Good story.
    Thank you, and thanks for reading!

22. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    ...how sad....:_|

yet strangely uplifting....

Very good job Tahiri!

23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Han:
    ...how sad....
    Yeah, my muse really only works in angst... happy things just don't come to it! :p

yet strangely uplifting....
    I'm glad you think so. I was going for a sad yet hopeful ending. I wanted to make the last line of the song... My darling true love is forever. really ring true!

Very good job Tahiri!
    Thank you very much!
    And thanks for reading! [:D]