main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I alone on this one ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by MikeSolo, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Just wondering if I'm the only one that finds it extremely funny when I hear or read about a long time Star Wars fans of the OT bash and put down the new Star Wars Movies.
    I've read a lot of the postings of those who are sad depressed n so upset with the new movies. Its pretty funny that a movie could cause someone to get so mad hahaha :p I also wonder if the new SW movies effects their lives. Like for example they can't eat right or sleep right or have problems with using the can all cause of a couple of movies ?? haha I also wonder that after Epsiode 3 is released if there will be a people seeking professional help because the new n final star wars movie has hurt them deeply.

So am I alone out there that think the bashers are pretty funny and good for a laugh ?

2. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    maybe, cause thats there opinon.and in some ways its a valid one. while i dont bash the new movies .overall they dont stack up to the ot ,in charcter devlopment ,acting etc,the only thing that the new movies trump the ot is in the visual dept IMO,ESB still will get the most votes as best star wars movie ever.if they are depressed than tehy have issues ,but then again star wars fans take these movies to heart. so i can understand some what on being upset

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    So am I alone out there that think the bashers are pretty funny and good for a laugh ?

Eh, sometimes they are.
    But frankly there ain't NO ONE on a Star Wars message board who doesn't deserve to be laughed at a bit :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    But frankly there ain't NO ONE on a Star Wars message board who doesn't deserve to be laughed at a bit

Haha, yeah like that freak who thinks Rick McCallum loves everyone! He's such a boob!

_jOBO

5. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Yeah, i know! LOL

6. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    Well if their opinions are valid ones then there pretty funny valid opinions...I think. I laugh at those who love the movie to death too. Ya know the ones that dress up like stormtroopers to watch a star wars movie....must be pretty hard when it comes time to drink that 1000 gallon cup of soda they sell you at the snack bar but its all good humor though. If offended anyone i'm not sorry :p (just kidding) I just find many things very funny even myself :p

I wonder if the show Tough Crowd on Comedy Central ever talked about the issue of Star Wars and it's Fans that would be a funny one to watch and have Kevin Smith as the speical guess :)

Reminder: This a light hearted discussion, which means my heart only weighs about 1 pound :p anyways if you'd like to go in depth and be very serious about my topic... please feel free to talk about it in the Star Wars Saga Board :) Thank you

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002

You're not alone.

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Thing is, you can't tell someone "Oh, your childhood was raped by TPM? Shame, I loved it. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!" because they tend to get rather upset by that kind of response :p

9. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I am an older fan who grew up in the OT era, I think that the PT is great so far. Hey, atleast we get to see more SW and that is all that really matters.

10. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    PT is okay, though some EU is far better.

11. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    GL raped someone's childhood with TPM, I heard that one repeated a lot of times. First time I heard it I busted out laughing. They miss use the word rape pretty bad because the only person forcing them to watch TPM is themself. So I guess they were kinda raping themself hahaha :p also if they didn't like TPM while watching it all they had to do was walk out of the theater. But I guess some invisble force was holding them back forcing them to watch TPM even though they kept saying NO no no please NO.

12. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Laughing at people is good [face_laugh]

Not all the time though [face_plain]

13. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    I find it superbly ironic that such a thread exists on a Star Wars messageboard that is directly linked to a Star Wars fan club. 'Basher' and 'gusher' alike have the potential to be too wrapped up in Star Wars. 'Bashers' may deserve this thread, but one could argue that 'gushers' deserve a similarly-themed thread too. Think about it.
    I think it's important to recognize that some 'bashers' are simply doing what Qui-Gon told Anakin to do: "Feel; don't think, use your insticts." They are typing and/or saying what they feel. They are trying to elucidate their instinctual feelings about the films. So I think, as this thread has touched upon, we should indeed disregard their emotional rantings, their exaggerated hyperbole, their misinterprations, their anger. But we should not disregard the roots of their feelings. Here are a few ideas that 'bashers' may have in their head when they 'bash':

Critics. What have they said about the prequels? Are any of them *gasp* giving accurate reviews?

Hype. Was it wrong for Ep1 to set the record for most product-merchandising deals of all time?

Ego. Are the people GL works with afraid of him? Why did Doug Chiang resign? Should we completely ignore Gary Kurtz? Is GL really qualified and prepared as a screenplay writer? Does anyone else miss Lawrence Kasdan?

Bashers. Some people may be unrefined and/or uncouth in their reviews of the prequels. Does this mean we should disregard and discount the underpinnings and meanings behind their feelings? And, why are there so many bashers anyway? Look, I can be a comedian too: I think the prequels are amateurish.

History. What will history really say about the prequels? Do the bashers ever make any accurate observations about the films?

Wrapping it up. I don't belong to any fan club. My fan club consists of the fellow midnight moviegoers who were in the theater each time I watched and re-watched the prequels. I try to make thought-out, open-minded, yet opinionated arguments when I comment on the films. I admit, I've said some negative things about the prequels. I've also said good things. But I don't hold the CT as perfect. I can acknowledge the realities about those films as well. But somewhere deep down, perhaps on some indescribable metaphysical level, when I read a basher making some flame-bait ridden post, part of me sometimes secretly sympathizes and empathizes with that basher; part of me sometimes wants to say what they're saying. But I don't, because I love THE STORY of Star Wars and that's all that really matters. A good story.

14. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    because I love THE STORY of Star Wars and that's all that really matters. A good story.

I agree with everything you said, especially the above statment.

15. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    I can see someone took this posting way to serious :) It amazes me that movie can have such an effect on people that they will go off on a high almighty speech about people who like a movie and bash the movie that to me is pretty damn funny. Keep them coming this is good stuff :p I love star wars and its been a part of my life since I was born but I dunno I must not be on the same page or level as these other fans that get all in depth about the movies. I just go watch them and have fun. I sit back n enjoy the ride and now i can enjoy the funny fans that come along with it :p

16. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Actually, all my posts are excessive. But that quote is quite representative of the 'I'm the cooler, less dorkier fan than you' attitude that many Star Wars fans display.

Might wanna re-read the post. Because "it amazes me" that these movies can have such an effect on people that they will create a superiority thread, aka 'I'm the fan who has more of a life than you' thread on an internet messagebaord. To me, this thread shares some similarities with all those silly basher comments (yeah, think about it), and those similarities are the very thing your laughing at. How ironic. One of my main points was simply that there are just as many ridiculous deluded gushers as there are ridiculous deluded bashers. You, and those like you, are spending just as much time enveloped in Star Wars as the bashers you're laughing at.

17. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

I`ve always felt the ones saying stuff like that were kinda "ungrateful", no? You`re either a fan, or you`re not......and if you ARE, then surely seeing more of the SW universe beyond the OT has gotta be a good thing, right? I mean, would they rather have NO more SW films?

18. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    Thank you for well thought out explaination :) I will give you a A triple plus...keep them coming :) ....Now ;) that last one wasn't as funny as your first response but almost as good :p You have to be little more detailed about pointing out the obvious about me :) I want a 200 page term paper analyzing my feelings about bashers gushers rushers mushers and flushers.

19. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    As I have said before in other threads, there is 16 years between ROTJ and TFM. That is a long time to think about what the PT would be about and it's a long time to be wrong about it. I think that really is some of the basher's problem, they had so long to come up with what they think happened and when it finally makes it to the big screen it isn't what they expected and they resent it.

And I find some of the complaints on the PT VERY funny. I love the OT, I love the PT but most importantly, the PT is not the OT and it is not suppose to be. It's about a different time and different situations which we happen to know the outcome of.

But lets not forget the one fact that cannot be ignored, bashers and gushers alike have to agree that the single most impotant thing that ties both sets of movies together.......

....Obi Wan's drinking ;)

20. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    It's all just Star Wars to me.

I stay out of the PT forums though. Seems to be mostly bashing there.

21. Grand Admiral Thran

Grand Admiral Thran Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 1999
    Bashing is pointless. Gushing is more pointless (if that's possible?).

I have some disagreements with what is and what was my expectations for the PT, but hey, they're better than most movies out there by a longshot. Plus, more lightsaber duelling!

And besides, if this is all your 'youth', then you are one sad child. I recommend not letting the neighborhood kids trade and collect your teeth.

-GAT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.